Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for phone security

Options
  • 25-06-2012 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭

I got a brand new Galaxy Note there last month and am very pleased with it but it's only now that I've gotten to grips with it more or less that I've become interested in upping the security of the phone. I've signed up with Samsung DIVE, am currently using pattern unlock (will probably change that), have AVG installed as well as Lookout (may uninstall that as the aforementioned two provide it's functionality plus a little bit more) and have taken note of my IMEI number. My question is what more can be done to keep my phone secure besides these and/or good common sense and what tips do ye have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

There's an app called find my android. It will located it for you should you lose it, while the phone is powered on at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Mostly a waste of time. Get rid of antivirus etc it's useless. Just put a pinlock on the phone and use device encryption if supported. You can protect your data - but not the physical device.

As for security, don't delude yourself - none of that protection will help. Sure if you lose your phone you can find it, but if it's STOLEN then forget about it. The guards don't give a fsck about anyones "find my phone" feature - it's not accurate enough to get a search warrant (lots of stories about this and stolen phones etc).

IMEI block is useless because stolen phones will be exported and used abroad (IMEI block will only stop it being used in Ireland). Some **** is using my old Nexus S in Algeria, I can even see the thing on my google account page - Google won't do **** about it. (they don't have access to my account, I changed password etc etc but the phone still shows up) Even if the IMEI blocking was extended to be EU wide this would not help...

Any "advanced" firmware level security features are easily bypassed by flashing new rom.

Advertisement