Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A proposal on religiosity

• 25-06-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Before your eyes glaze over as this is the umpteenth time you've seen this thread, please refrain from pre-judging. I am a great follower of the modern secularist movement but that does not make me a 'militant' atheist and I'm not trying to pick a fight with this proposal.

The 50th Eucharistic congress just ended in Dublin (affectionately called 'masstonbury' in another thread) and living in Ballsbridge I witnessed first hand the pulling power of believing in a supernatural entity.

Carl Sagan said: 'If it takes a little myth and ritual to get us through a night that seems endless, who among us cannot sympathize and understand? We long to be here for a purpose, even though, despite much self-deception, none is evident.'

I can certainly sympathize with the view that religion could potentially assuage the suffering of a family who loses a child to leukemia or as a supporting shoulder as we trundle through life.

As a materialist I believe that the brain is the sole contributor to consciousness, itself a product of evolution by natural selection. As a result, when we die, we definitively 'check out'.

My question to the religious is: If an everlasting afterlife could be disproved beyond a reasonable doubt, and that your ~80 years on earth is all you get, would you still hold your beliefs?

If yes, please explain why.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Why did you not ask this on the religion and spirituality forum??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

petrol is fierce dear but spuds have just shot through the roof.

petrol is fierce dear but spuds have just shot through the roof.
    Spud missiles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

My question to the religious is: If an everlasting afterlife could be disproved beyond a reasonable doubt, and that your ~80 years on earth is all you get, would you still hold your beliefs?

If yes, please explain why.

You think religious people have nothing better to do than to go around explaining their beliefs to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

tl;dr probably something about the catholic church

• Advertisement

Just googled the price of spuds.......good lord!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

This shit was (last) done the other day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement