Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me set up xbox live :)

Options
  • 25-06-2012 6:20pm
    Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭

Been trying the last 2 and a half days and I can't get it.

Been following the thread and done it 6 or 7 times.

It says make sure the DHCP server is activated, the wireless one is, but the LAN isn't, should this be the one that's activated? How do I do this?

Says I can't use a static IP, even though I've manually put in an IP for the xbox, then after I try this it fails again and says something about my mac address, I manually put in my maca address and it fails. Tried xbox live help online and no use either :(

So annoyed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Did you try the automatic settings first. 99% of the time it works without need to mess around at any of the settings. Unless you one of the new Eircom routers.

• Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭EEm

Yeah I tried that too, and would you believe it I have a black eircom router. That must be the one you're on about.

I'm sickened. Don't know how I'll get it working, and with the offer of 2€ for months too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Clear all settings on the xbox and set to auto.

Next make sure DHCP is enabled on the router, lan or wireless shouldn't matter.
    Preferably connect the xbox to the router with a cable just to see if all is working and that you can get a connection that way.

For wireless disable wep/wpa security and any firewalls if present in the the wireless / security settings on the router and see if it connects, remember to enable this again later.

Configure nat if needed as per the instructions in the other thread.

If this fails to connect the xbox should prompt you to test the connection, run the tests and lets us know the results.

Edit: just so we are not chasing our tails here, you either have a slim xbox or a phat xbox with a wireless adapter connected right?? Sorry but I have to ask !!!!

calex71 wrote: »
    Clear all settings on the xbox and set to auto.

Next make sure DHCP is enabled on the router, lan or wireless shouldn't matter.
    Preferably connect the xbox to the router with a cable just to see if all is working and that you can get a connection that way.

For wireless disable wep/wpa security and any firewalls if present in the the wireless / security settings on the router and see if it connects, remember to enable this again later.

Configure nat if needed as per the instructions in the other thread.

If this fails to connect the xbox should prompt you to test the connection, run the tests and lets us know the results.

Edit: just so we are not chasing our tails here, you either have a slim xbox or a phat xbox with a wireless adapter connected right?? Sorry but I have to ask !!!!

How do I disable the wep/security and any firewalls, do I just turn the firewall to off in the router config page?

Also it's just a normal xbox 360 I got a few years ago and I'm putting the ethernet cable from the xbox into my laptop and the laptop is using wireless internet.

Also just on the DMZ, where do I change this in the router config page also?

Just as a thought, if I connect the ethernet cable straight to the router without using a laptop as the middle man, should it work straight away?

And thanks for the help, I really appreciate it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Yes. Get the laptop out of the equation. Simplify your set up when you're having problems.

Some routers do not allow wired to wireless functionality. You have to be wired to wired or wireless to wireless when using connection sharing on some routers.

What errors does the Connectivity test on the Xbox give you?

Yes. Get the laptop out of the equation. Simplify your set up when you're having problems.

Some routers do not allow wired to wireless functionality. You have to be wired to wired or wireless to wireless.

What errors does the Connectivity test on the Xbox give you?

Cheers, moving the router to my room is a bit of a pain tbh. But I'll have to do it I suppose.

I can't move the router, fúcking cable isn't long enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FÚCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"On your routers configuration page find DHCP server ( usually in the configuration settings of the advance tab-can take a while to find but have a good search around). It will have a start I.P address and an End I.P address. Note these two addresses."

I don't know where the DHCP server settings are, i see a client bit?

No start and end IPs. or is the mac address the end IP?

the test is failing at the first one btw, the network. not even failed on the internet or xbox live yet :(

• Advertisement

Oh my god, I'm an utter twat. I was looking at the wrong thread. I was looking at the NAT thread which I thought was the basic connecting to the internet thread, I then seen the "connect to xbox live using wireless through a pc/laptop"

I'm connecting now I think, sorry everyone. All I had to do was right click on my connection and allow sharing. I'm a stupid eejit!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

I too had issues connecting my xbox to the zyxel eircom router.
    I connected the xbox to the router with an ethernet cable and still no joy.:mad:
    I ended up replacing the router with a netgear router and setup the ports that I need opened and assigned my systems a static ip address, all is now working.:D
    My advice is to get yourself an old Netopia box of adverts and use that instead of the piece of sh1t.

best of luck.

Advertisement