Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrick on Suir Sprint July 8th

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Fazz wrote: »
    Ha :)

I do recognise a few but fastest that I know is Rory Sexton, TI Junior.
    Think he has a 4:30 400m swim pb and low 9's for 3k run.... Ahem!

No doubt others too so who knows.

Course is nearer 5.5k-6k run apparently.

Should be a bit of Craic anyway.
    No NS points and just billed as a fun race training straight through it.
    I'll give it a good bash and try hurt and see where I end up.

But thanks for the vote of confidence lol :D

I know exactly what you're thinking. You'll put plenty of time into Sexton on the bike. You probably did a somersault when you didn't see Mr Woods on the start list :D . Best of luck with it and hope you get a nice clean race without any issues. Get that and you'll have a great chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Johndoe64

Still nothing :(

OK I'm in! They do say be careful what you wish for - first open water tri for me so god knows whats gonna happen!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Best of luck tomorrow Elvis, enjoy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Best of luck tomorrow Elvis, enjoy!!

Cheers,

With the crap weather and water levels i only took the tag off the suit today:o

Oh tomorrow should be fun !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Fazz blitzed it to second place in this.

• Advertisement

Fazz blitzed it to second place in this.

Ya i seen his "little thing"

Today was a bit of a mess for me..........i'll tell all later:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Sorry to hear that elvis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Today was a bit of a mess for me..........i'll tell all later:(

C'mon. spill the beans. What occured?

C'mon. spill the beans. What occured?

I'll throw all up on my log at 11, oh it was fun:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Headed down and did the bike course on Saturday to check it out as I’m from near there anyway and was home for the weekend.
    It’s an honest one, has a couple gradual inclines and rolling thereafter. Some nice fast and straight sections too so a nice course. I did an easy lap and a moderate lap as part of my training followed by a short run.
    So race day arrived and nice to get up and be only a few minutes from registration. Arrived and met up with clubmates and set about racking bike. Transition was on grass and it was wet so tyres were covered in grass – mental note to take it easy first 1k on bike as tyres would be slippy as a result. – was no point drying tyres in transition as you run out with bike on grass anyway so same thing.
    Going into this the main name I recognised was Rory Sexton – member of TI Junior Squad and as I mentioned I knew his 400m Swim was 4:30 and 3k Run as 9:10 at the recent Junior day. Those numbers are substantially better than mine so I had my work cut out and needed a strong bike to be in with a chance. I didn’t know anyone else but also knew that didn’t mean anything and chances were another couple of juniors were in it also.

Swim: - 7:34 – 6/163 – recorded as 950m on Garmin but a nice current so who knows.

Into the water and warm up for a couple mins. We were told to hold a line that some had gone passed. I stood up and had to lean backwards to hold myself steady. I smiled. Those that had swam past were now swimming back up and making no head way at all! Nice this looks good to me! Anyway, with us all starting to get further down they started and we were off.
    I went straight out to middle of river to try get the best current. I got a gap from the bunch after 100m or so and had 2 fish ahead that I was trying to get close to feet but couldn’t quite. They pulled a little gap on me but not much. I swam a little wide at one stage but corrected early enough so not an issue especially in a river. Towards the end I angled in early to ensure I didn’t miss the steps. It was then I noticed 2 more fish in closer to the bank up ahead. The gap wasn’t as big as I expected so I was happy.
    Out of the water in 5th, got a call of 50 seconds down and headed to my bike.

Transition 1 – 1:03 – 17/163

I was a little slow getting wetsuit off but other than that not the worst I felt.

Bike – 29:41 – 1/163

Out onto bike with 2 others beside me and I was curious whether this put me in 8th now or still 5th. Careful mount especially with the wet tyres and into shoes easily. Passed the 2 guys by the second roundabout about 300m in so started putting in the work then. Course has a few turns and then a climb for first few k. No sign of anyone ahead. Head down and more effort but steady as I wanted to push the last 3rd in particular. I caught sight of someone ahead but it took a while to chase him down. I had a chance to ask a marshal what position and got a response 3rd. Ok, great now let’s get moving. I passed 2nd around the half way mark and was motoring nicely now. Got sight of Rory a couple k later and knew I’d have him on the back 3rd section where I wanted to push. The course is a main triangle basically, lots of straight sections, bit of rolling roads and other than the first few km is a nice surface. Bumpy at start. So I caught Rory around the 15k mark and closed in. Passed him with a decent surge and now had the lead motorbike for company. I put the head down, had no idea if Rory was pacing with me but kept up the effort. End of bike is a few turns, and back into transition. Nice to be coming into T2 as first off the bike for a change! I came in with around a 20-30 second lead.

T2 – 1:09 – 37/163

Not the worst however transition wasn’t neutralised. I realised too late at race briefing that it was in 1 corner and out the one beside that. I was at the other end so had a longer T2 to cover and noticed Rory was on the shorter route. 20 seconds lost right there!

Run – 20:53 3/163

Out onto the run course in the lead, pace feels good, legs feel good. Running at 3:35/3:40 pace and holding it.
    Course is challenging, a couple climbs out a long straight and I actually had no idea where the turn point was. I thought it was by the Caravan park but realised we were only 1k or so in so it couldn’t be. Rory caught me just before this point and took the lead.
    I held his pace and stayed on his back trying not to pant too hard.
    I expected a surge or two here, and he did a couple but I held him and stayed on pace. So right behind him up to the half way marker at 2.8km. Down a narrow road and turn left onto the river bank.
    They had warned us about a car down here and sure enough myself and Rory nearly took out it’s mirror! Aid station here and we both got water and splashed the head. He kept looking back so I wasn’t sure was he playing with me or suffering. At this stage I had it in my head to match him and try push the last km- that was the plan anyway!
    So at 3km we’re now onto marshland, there’s a grassy riverbank and it was muddy and puddly from the rain. We both slipped and slided here but kept footing. I concentrated on keeping cadence high to minimise foot time on ground. This worked but Rory was better. He got a gap here of 15m before we were onto the footpath section. Ok, a mini surge by me and I’ve closed a little, surge by him and he’s opened gap a little more.
    We approach the swim start and I clock the time as 4.8k. Not certain on this but give or take. I try to up the pace here but Rory seems to do also and he has a 20-30m gap now as we approach the finish.

He crosses the line 26 seconds ahead of me and raced well. He’s been training with the Junior squad in Dublin all week and we both went into this race with no taper as a training race. We had a good gap on 3rd and I did look back near the end to double check but no one in sight.

Overall 2/163 - 1:00:21

Run was 5.6km or so, and I averaged 3:43 pace. So a better run from me and I’m learning to suffer. Not an easy course by any means and I’d describe it as a fast swim, honest bike and nice with a little challenging bits run. But a great course all round. If my quick check of the swim start was right that would make the swim near the 950m as per garmin. A nice strong current then!

Strangely official results have my run as 22:xx. Almost like they’ve included the T2 time. I did point this out at prize giving but no change. No harm done. Shockingly I gave away 37 seconds in transitions to the winner.... oh dear! What might have been.
    So 2nd overall and my second podium after Focus Ireland last year (3rd). Obviously not quite the standard of NS races but still a good one and a nice training race.
    Back in the pool this morning for a 4k+ set. I’ve some hard work ahead for the next month with a couple races included in which I’ll hopefully learn to suffer more on run and get the balance right.

Next up, Galway Aquathon on Saturday, followed by a nice bike course recce (70.3) on Sunday with half the entrants I’d say! Now looking at adding Groomsport to the calendar also. It’s 2 week’s before Galway, but is National Half Ironman Champs and course sounds good. Be nice to get a half in before Galway too

I’d highly recommend the Carrick Sprint. It’s a good honest course all be it with a fast swim. Well organised and no messing around. Good prizes also I got €150 for my 2nd place effort.

My 1st race of the year yesterday and overall it was a bloody messfrown.gif

As you may know i'm not the best swimmer in the world. I got a new wetsuit over a month ago and had planned to do some work in open water with my club in the Barrow but water levels have been so high and the flow so strong that i never got to do it and boy did that play a part yesterday.

I was working early at the clontraf half marathon on sat so a long day sat. I was out the door at 7:30 and back at 3pm cover in sunburn ! I got my stuff together and bed for a few hrs, back up and my night gig until 3:30am. Bed for another few hrs and off we went to carrick on suir.

Got there nice and early to get registered, nice little goodie bag with a transition towel etc.

Into transition on grass ( no bike check ) and set up my gear, someone was in the water trying to swim upstream and they were just static !

Anyway i got all my gear on while listening to the guy with the "sound system" play elvisbiggrin.gif and country music, not to mention talking about lost dogs.

Down to the start line and the fun started, i got there, into the water 50m up and all i can say is i got a panic attack. It was my 1st time in open water and i lost it. I scrabled for the bank and out i got with my head in my hands. I think its time to admit i have a problem with water/deep water and i need help to get it sorted.

I just sat on a bench alone for a few mintues and thought what the fcuk am i doing with triathlon if i have this problem with waterfrown.gif

I started to walk back up and said to myself i've dragged my wife and kids down here i might as well do the cycle and run, i think the worst part of the day was facing them when i got back to transition. I was almost in tears.

I got the wetsuit off, went to put on my runner ( ya my runners ) and then went oh yeah its the bike 1st.

I went to put on my rwce belt and it broke so i had to tie it in a knotmad.gif

Helmet on, grabbed bike and off i went. I sat there on the bike sorry for myself until i saw the 1st hill and my game head kicked in. Ahead of me were about 20 guys creeping up the "hill", this wasn't a hill, it didn't even register with my legs..........i dropped the head and took off, past 20 odd in the 1st 2k and then the next fun bit, i dropped my water bottle on the bad part of the road and had no fliuds for the rest of the racefrown.gif

As the cycle went on, some nice sharp turns, hills and good straights i kept just passing people but one guy on a planet x TT just kept ahead of me until 10k and i pushed past him until 18k when he passed me going down a hill into town.

One point on the cycle was the amount of drafting, it was everywhere.

my cycle was roughly 35:40 for 19k which wasn't bad.

Back in and runners on, out we went through the start of the muck, road for 2.8k and then onto the river bank which was a mud bath. I lost my runner and had to go back to fish it out, then i fell over in the muck as wellbiggrin.gif

Anyway pushed on and got back on the path where i was able to increase my pace and hit the end line carrying my little lad for the last 50m. 5.7k in 30m but i lost a min or so looking for my runner and falling over.

I was smiling and laughing at the end cause it was just a sureal day overall.

Good race but i need to look for help about this swim issue, do i need hypnosis or to start of scratch. I even hate swimming in the deep end of a poolredface.gif

Sorry to hear that Elvis

It's a shame as you would probably have been able to stand up in the water at the start if not the whole way down.

I wonder is it worth even just findin your local river/sea and wading in slowly to acclimatise?
    It sounds like your low on confidence which comes with experience in the water and not much else really.
    Are you swimming much?
    Fair play on completing the couse none the less!

Sorry to hear that Elvis

It's a shame as you would probably have been able to stand up in the water at the start if not the whole way down.

I wonder is it worth even just findin your local river/sea and wading in slowly to acclimatise?
    It sounds like your low on confidence which comes with experience in the water and not much else really.
    Are you swimming much?

Cheers,

I was going to nick your bike to make myself feel better, it was all alone at one stage and asking me:D

Ya i can swim, its a sinking/drowning/not touching the bottom. I would have done a 1:20 odd if i had done the swim, thats the really annoying part !

Sorry to hear that Elvis

Are you swimming much?

Cheers,

I was going to nick your bike to make myself feel better, it was all alone at one stage and asking me:D

Ya i can swim, its a sinking/drowning/not touching the bottom. I would have done a 1:20 odd if i had done the swim, thats the really annoying part !
    Ha you wouldn't have got past security, then my family, then my friends and other clubmates spectating! And if you did I'd have tracked you shortly after ;):D

Sounds like you just need to spend more time in water even at pool deep end.
    Failing that then yes worth seeing a psychiatrist/Hypnotist to see if it's a mental block that can be resolved.

I'd start with more pool time or even better find your local river and sea and just go into waist height for starters. Worth having a friend or family member close by also for ease of mind.
    Most beaches now should have lifeguards also.
    Hope you "get to the bottom of it" :D

Ha you wouldn't have got past security, then my family, then my friends and other clubmates spectating! And if you did I'd have tracked you shortly after ;):D

Sounds like you just need to spend more time in water even at pool deep end.
    Failing that then yes worth seeing a psychiatrist/Hypnotist to see if it's a mental block that can be resolved.

I'd start with more pool time or even better find your local river and sea and just go into waist height for starters. Worth having a friend or family member close by also for ease of mind.
    Most beaches now should have lifeguards also.
    Hope you "get to the bottom of it" :D

That was the plan but with the rain the water levels have gone crazy !

My club have a kayak in the water with us and new swimmers get special attention so when the rain stops i'll get that done in the barrow !

Did you say security :confused:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stoneywater

hi elvis,

the carrick triathlon was my first triathlon too.
    Overall i really enjoyed it although i didnt enjoy the swim at all.
    in fact i found it very disorientating.

i started off doing free style but found i was getting exhausted. i tried to concentrate on my breathing, made sure i took a breath every third stroke, then when i still felt out of breath i tried every second stroke. at one point i thought i might be breathing too much.
    the combination of people around me, the new sensation of swimming with a current and the lack of visibility when i put my head down, really threw me off.

i tried to catch up with those in front of me, since i was being left behind by most, but after a a short while i realised that my efforts were getting me nowhere and that i was getting really tired. so i just stuck with the breast stroke and every now and then did freestyle, but mostly let the current do the work.

all the same by the end i was wrecked. far more than i would be if i did 750 in the pool. actually felt dizzy when i got to my bike and considered calling it quits.

like yourself then the cycle went well and the run was grand. i came in with a time of just over 1.21, so your estimate sounds good.

i'm going to get out into the river and sea a few times before my next go and get some experience. i think swimming in the river for the first time in a long time, coupled with some nerves and maybe a bit of panic, really tired me out and stopped me getting into any kind of rhythm.
    go the impression a few other first timers felt the same.
    best of luck in your next one elvis

overall though, a great day out. thanks a million to Cariick triathlon club and in particular the commentator. quality stuff.

Advertisement