Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mail merge on word 2010

• 25-06-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know about the if and then in rules,it's wrecking my head.need to solve a problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Sup08

Explain what you are trying to do first and see "If" anyone can "Then" help..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The basics are
    If
    Select Field e.g <<First Name>>
    Select comparison e.g. [Is Equal]
    Type in Value e.g John
    Then output e.g Hi John
    Else output e.g You're not John

If you having issues with something more complicated then you'll have to say what you're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭raher1

before I finish the merge I have to replace resident which is after dear resident with mr if sir or instead madam. Basically change resident to sir if male or madam if female but use mr in the equation. Got sir to replace resident but madam didn't appear when it should. I am stumped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

And what method are you trying to use and what does your list look like?

Does it have a column for Gender containing the three options "Male" or "Female" or "" (Empty/ Unspecified)

{ IF { MERGEFIELD Gender } = “Male” “Sir” “{ IF { MERGEFIELD Gender } = “Female” “Madam” “Resident”}” }

Haven't word in front of me so untested for missing brackets.
    Idea is that if Gender contains the string "Male" it replaces with Sir, otherwise iy tries the second option.
    But the second option is another If which checks for Female and replaces with Madam. If both checks fail, it prints the last option. Resident.

i am using the rules method if then and else. i have gone beyond browse on mail megre, i need to change where its male into sir or female into madam in the opening
    Dear Resident but the question stipulates i use Mr but not sure where or why. is he equal to si/madam or greater etc .
    a bit confused. i got it to say dear sir once in all the letters but in most cases it says madam to both genders. its a head wreck alright.

• Advertisement

delete resident and put a full stop after MR bollix logic

You can close this thread.

Advertisement