Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does fish tank use alot of electricity?

Options
  • 25-06-2012 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi there.

Would anyone know if it is very expensive on electricity to run a 300 litre fish tank with internal filter, external canister filter, lights and heater?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

yes. it does cost quite a bit to run. you have heater,filter and lights running off the mains. and dont forget you have water charges coming down the line too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lights dont need to be on all day

But you could easily be looking at €40-50 extra in your bill

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Its all to do with the wattage and power consumption of the items.

You can buy low wattage pumps,lights and filters that vastly reduce the amount of juice used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Most filters would be between 10 -20 watts . Heaters from 20- 500 watts possibly more. Lights on my tank are 72 watts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Most filters would be between 10 -20 watts

Quite a few are only 5-8 watt.

My eheim external is only 8 watt.:)

16 euro a month to run all the kit for my Discuss tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

I seriously doubt that an 8W external filter would cater for the needs of a 300L tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Electricity cost aprox 18 C per 1000 W per hour. The only thing in a fish tank that is constantly on is the filter. The other things vary like the heater and lights. If the tank is in a cold room the heater needs to work harder to maintain the required temp.

How long the lights are on depends on yourself and how much they cost to run depends on the size and type of bulbs. I have two 40W bulbs on for about 9 hours a day do that would cost me 1.4C per hour and about 13C per day to have on which about €7.70 per two monthly bill.

Advertisement