Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NQT Overseas and Teaching Council Workshops

Options
  • 25-06-2012 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Just looking for advice about registering with the Teaching Overlords Council of Ireland?

Managed to get a full time job in the UK for the coming year... but still have to fill the TC requirements - including those lovely 12 workshops. Considering they are all taking place on once off weekday evenings, has anybody else managed to work out how to attend them while teaching overseas?

There are no weekend options. No Summer options...very small minded Irish committee all together...dates are available here

Any advice? Year on the dole to fully register with the teaching council or..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

By the looks of that info , you are actually required to be in employment in a school to get a place on the induction programme :(

Sorry OP , the only option is to do it when you come home .

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭StrawberryJazz

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    By the looks of that info , you are actually required to be in employment in a school to get a place on the induction programme :(

Sorry OP , the only option is to do it when you come home .

Its just madness that I have to come home for an entire year to do measly little workshops...I know they say I have 3 years to do this but under circumstances of poor employment prospects, do you think I can stretch it longer than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Workshop 1: Working as a Professional: What is involved?

Workshop 2: Planning & Preparation: What is required?

Workshop 3: Classroom Management & Organisation: What do I need to focus on?

Workshop 4: Working with Parents: What is effective practice?

Workshop 5: Child Protection - Ensuring Best Practice: What do I need to know?

Workshop 6: Practical Assessment in my Classroom:How?

What a nonsense. Are the Teaching Council trying to say that the 3rd level institutes allowed to do the education program are failing to address these topics? If so they should take that up with them.

The unions should ask a boycott of this or have a far more sensible approach by perhaps having a mentor program

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

OP, I'm in a similar position - and I know that the school I am going to in the UK are planning on sending me to inducction workshops. From reading the induction FAQs
    If you completed a recognised induction period abroad, you will not be required to complete the induction workshop programme in Ireland. Certified evidence of completing the induction period abroad will be required for registration.

So if you do an induction period abroad, you don't have to do the Irish one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Dave0301

rebel girl is right. If you're are an NQT teaching for the first time in England you will have to complete an induction period. If you are successful with this you shouldn't have to complete the workshops.

Works the same way with the 200 hours teaching experience you are required to do for the Teaching Council, you can also do them in England.

More on induction in England can be found here.

• Advertisement

OP, I'm in a similar position - and I know that the school I am going to in the UK are planning on sending me to inducction workshops. From reading the induction FAQs

So if you do an induction period abroad, you don't have to do the Irish one

What a relief! Do you mind me asking where you got this info? I'm just going through the process now and I'm not sure if I need to do an induction at all considering I've done all my TP over a four year education degree but I am much happier to do this in England than in Ireland.
    I just dont trust the teaching council of Ireland not to go back on their word...do you know if these conditions are written down somewhere? Thanks

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

What a relief! Do you mind me asking where you got this info? I'm just going through the process now and I'm not sure if I need to do an induction at all considering I've done all my TP over a four year education degree but I am much happier to do this in England than in Ireland.
    I just dont trust the teaching council of Ireland not to go back on their word...do you know if these conditions are written down somewhere? Thanks

On their own website

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/induction-and-probation/frequently-asked-questions.1338.html

q2 and Q4 as well

Workshop 1: Working as a Professional: What is involved?

Workshop 2: Planning & Preparation: What is required?

Workshop 3: Classroom Management & Organisation: What do I need to focus on?

Workshop 4: Working with Parents: What is effective practice?

Workshop 5: Child Protection - Ensuring Best Practice: What do I need to know?

Workshop 6: Practical Assessment in my Classroom:How?

What a nonsense. Are the Teaching Council trying to say that the 3rd level institutes allowed to do the education program are failing to address these topics? If so they should take that up with them.

The unions should ask a boycott of this or have a far more sensible approach by perhaps having a mentor program

It is absolute time wasting - I have dealt with all these topics in lectures. I had an entire semester's worth of lectures on assessment and can't imagine it has changed that much since January when I sat a formal exam in Assessment and Examinations.

You should not be allowed work as a teacher at all if you've never come across lesson planning before. Why are lesson planning and classroom organisation two separate workshops? Whatever pearls of wisdom QUALIFIED teachers haven't come across before surely can be compacted into one delightful evening...

I still can't see where they mention oversea's induction :confused:
    Q2: Who must complete the induction workshop programme?

Participation in a programme of induction workshops will be a requirement for all NQTs who complete their teacher education qualification in 2012 and subsequently. In addition, other teachers who apply for registration from 02 July 2012 under Regulation 2 (primary), Regulation 3 (Montessori and other categories) and Regulation 4 (post-primary including VECs) are required to complete the induction workshop programme provided that they have not previously:

met the requirements of Post Qualification Employment (PQE) (post-primary)
    met the requirements of Probation (primary)
    completed an induction programme in another jurisdiction.
    Q4: When and where do workshops take place?

Workshops take place in the late afternoon or evening time and each workshop is two hours in duration. They take place in education centres and/or outreach venues around the country. For details of the education centre nearest you, please check the website of the Association of Teachers’/Education Centres in Ireland, www.ateci.ie

Sorry, not question 4 - it was the one about qualifying abroad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

sorry for hijacking thread but i have a similar question.
    If you qualify abroad(uk) and come home after the PGDE can you do your induction here? you dont have to do your induction abroad?
    Also OP have you looked into doing your induction abroad? The TC only want you complete induction if you complete it abroad will that not do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Anybody currently attending these ? What are they like ? Are you required to do assignments ?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

Have my 2nd NQT workshop tomorrow night. There doesn't seem to be any assignments, attendance is the only thing taken into account in order to "complete the course". Tbh I didn't really learn anything new at the first one. It was all basically common sense. I'm hoping that it was just an introductory sort of thing though, and maybe tomorrow will be productive. It was nice alright to meet up with other NQT's, if only to rant a bit with people who know what you're going through (besides the "but shur there's loads of teaching jobs out there" brigade).

Looking forward to seeing if the planning course is useful tomorrow, will let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

Actually learned at bit at last night's workshop. I don't have a job at the minute, so not currently doing the Dip, hopefully I'll wont have everything forgotten by the time I get to do it! The facilitator was very down-to-earth, helpful and approachable. She explained a lot about short/long term planning and Dip requirements. I do feel now that I could sit down and write a decent long-term plan if I was asked to, hopefully someone will give me the chance to! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

Actually learned at bit at last night's workshop. I don't have a job at the minute, so not currently doing the Dip, hopefully I'll wont have everything forgotten by the time I get to do it! The facilitator was very down-to-earth, helpful and approachable. She explained a lot about short/long term planning and Dip requirements. I do feel now that I could sit down and write a decent long-term plan if I was asked to, hopefully someone will give me the chance to! :)

I'm in the same boat as yourself. I was at my one last night it was more useful than the first one. I feel the same that I write up a plan and know the basic requirements. The templates look useful. Likewise, I am hoping I can get the chance to! The course is good to meet other NQT's, even just for the chat and its amazing what information you can pick up from one another! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 anniejay

Under the new Teaching Council of Ireland Regulations all newly qualified teachers must complete a period of induction. This means attending 12 two hour sessions at a local Education Centre. This is called the NITP programme and runs throughout the year on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday nights. Once you have completed your 300 hours teaching and attended your 12 sessions you are eligible for full registration (QTS) in Ireland which means you are also eligible for QTS in the UK once the Teaching Council has signed you off.
    Unfortunately if you are teaching in the UK to get your 300 hours(as most of us are - there being NO jobs at home - is anyone on the Teaching Council aware of that???) you can't make any of the 12 sessions. I asked the Teaching Council about this and they said they are "aware" of this and "had a few phone calls" and "maybe" will look at the option of making the 12 sessions available online "in the future"!!!!! When pressed on this they were so vague it was a waste of time talking to them.
    So, if any of you out there want to avoid doing an NQT year in the UK (like having to do the Dip all over again and which is recognised by the Teaching Council for Registration in Ireland - and would prefer to be treated on the same basis as those lucky enough to get a job at home- WOULD YOU CONTACT THE TEACHING COUNCIL AND ASK FOR A SUMMER COURSE FOR IRISH TEACHERS IN THE UK!!!
    COMPLAIN!!!
    BOMBARD THEM!!
    THIS IS NOT FAIR! Tel: Teaching Council of Irealnd: LoCall 1890 224 224 or +353 (0)1 651 7908
    Email: postprimaryregistration@teachingcouncil.ie

anniejay wrote: »
    Under the new Teaching Council of Ireland Regulations all newly qualified teachers must complete a period of induction. This means attending 12 two hour sessions at a local Education Centre. This is called the NITP programme and runs throughout the year on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday nights. Once you have completed your 300 hours teaching and attended your 12 sessions you are eligible for full registration (QTS) in Ireland which means you are also eligible for QTS in the UK once the Teaching Council has signed you off.
    Unfortunately if you are teaching in the UK to get your 300 hours(as most of us are - there being NO jobs at home - is anyone on the Teaching Council aware of that???) you can't make any of the 12 sessions. I asked the Teaching Council about this and they said they are "aware" of this and "had a few phone calls" and "maybe" will look at the option of making the 12 sessions available online "in the future"!!!!! When pressed on this they were so vague it was a waste of time talking to them.
    So, if any of you out there want to avoid doing an NQT year in the UK (like having to do the Dip all over again and which is recognised by the Teaching Council for Registration in Ireland - and would prefer to be treated on the same basis as those lucky enough to get a job at home- WOULD YOU CONTACT THE TEACHING COUNCIL AND ASK FOR A SUMMER COURSE FOR IRISH TEACHERS IN THE UK!!!
    COMPLAIN!!!
    BOMBARD THEM!!
    THIS IS NOT FAIR! Tel: Teaching Council of Irealnd: LoCall 1890 224 224 or +353 (0)1 651 7908
    Email: postprimaryregistration@teachingcouncil.ie

You need to calm down there. I am going through the NQT induction process in England, and it is not nearly as tyrannical as you are making it out to be. I will have a folder of evidence and CPD workshops I have attended that can be used to register with the Teaching Council in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 anniejay

Well of course we could all survive the NQT year in the UK if we have to. The point is we don't have to. If the regulation is that we have to get QTS from the Irish Teaching Council , surely they should facilitate this for teachers who have no choice but to go to the Uk to get their teaching hours?

anniejay wrote: »
    Well of course we could all survive the NQT year in the UK if we have to. The point is we don't have to. If the regulation is that we have to get QTS from the Irish Teaching Council , surely they should facilitate this for teachers who have no choice but to go to the Uk to get their teaching hours?

They do facilitate this, by allowing you to register after completing induction in the UK. You get observed a few times, go to some workshops and also have a reduced timetable for the NQT year.

You can then fully register with both councils.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Dave0301 wrote: »
    They do facilitate this, by allowing you to register after completing induction in the UK. You get observed a few times, go to some workshops and also have a reduced timetable for the NQT year.

You can then fully register with both councils.
    +1 The teaching council will accept UK induction. If u have chosen to go there for work why should they bend over backwards to facilitate you. They run courses that you can make it your business to attend regardless of where u are teaching or u do UK induction.

• Advertisement

Just some feedback...

I got a teaching job in the UK in September. Completed my 300 hours by November and had attended many "workshoppy-esq" after hours training within my school grounds. My principal signed the form for me, I was fully and unconditionally registered by December and have since gotten my UK QTS.

Honestly, it was so much easier than it ever would have been in Ireland.
    The Teaching Council snag is that they have carefully placed these workshops sporadically throughout the year - hence you will be an NQT for longer.
    By going via the UK, if I were to get a new job, or be a bit cheeky with my current school, I could get a pay rise much sooner.

I do agree these workshops should be over the one weekend and get them done with. It's another unbelievable money spinning racket to satisfy the control freaks of the teaching council. They just want to appear to be doing something other than filling up my spam box and sending out glossy photographs of themselves every year.

Just some feedback...

I got a teaching job in the UK in September. Completed my 300 hours by November and had attended many "workshoppy-esq" after hours training within my school grounds. My principal signed the form for me, I was fully and unconditionally registered by December and have since gotten my UK QTS.

Honestly, it was so much easier than it ever would have been in Ireland.
    The Teaching Council snag is that they have carefully placed these workshops sporadically throughout the year - hence you will be an NQT for longer.
    By going via the UK, if I were to get a new job, or be a bit cheeky with my current school, I could get a pay rise much sooner.

I do agree these workshops should be over the one weekend and get them done with. It's another unbelievable money spinning racket to satisfy the control freaks of the teaching council. They just want to appear to be doing something other than filling up my spam box and sending out glossy photographs of themselves every year.

Which form is this? I've my 300 hours done since probably December, plus a number of workshops and induction over there completed, but I finished with my school last week - didn't get a form signed. I ended up being performance managed by the schools standards and not the NQT standards, which I was for only one observation. Was talking to another person who was an NQT and he wasn't doing any workshops, but was being performance managed by the school as per their normal performance managing. The NQT guy in our school was ridiculously bad, a complete bluffer, lot of the mentors are complaining to the head about him, whole thing was very badly managed - but I'm left in limbo now because of him. I don't know if I have served my induction period - I was keeping a folder of different evidence, but I was missing a lot of paperwork from my "mentor". Not quite sure where I go from here tbh, because I was on a contract, teaching outside of my primary degree which was PE with a minor in Maths, which I was teaching.

Which form is this? I've my 300 hours done since probably December, plus a number of workshops and induction over there completed, but I finished with my school last week - didn't get a form signed.
    Firstly here is the form. It's pretty simple to fill out, just pop into your school and have your headteacher sign it. There should be no issue.
    http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/old_files/TC_AppForms/FORM_B_09700739.pdf
    I ended up being performance managed by the schools standards and not the NQT standards, which I was for only one observation. Was talking to another person who was an NQT and he wasn't doing any workshops, but was being performance managed by the school as per their normal performance managing. The NQT guy in our school was ridiculously bad, a complete bluffer, lot of the mentors are complaining to the head about him, whole thing was very badly managed - but I'm left in limbo now because of him. I don't know if I have served my induction period - I was keeping a folder of different evidence, but I was missing a lot of paperwork from my "mentor". Not quite sure where I go from here tbh, because I was on a contract, teaching outside of my primary degree which was PE with a minor in Maths, which I was teaching.
    You don't have to worry about what other NQTs are doing. In England they will accept you as fully qualified once the country of your teacher training (Ireland) says you are fully qualified.
    If registered after September 2012, your Irish requirements are to teach for 300 hours and serve an induction period. Because the Teaching Council honestly failed to take into account that anybody would have to leave Ireland ever, this "induction period" is pretty vague and open to interpretation. Your head teacher can interpret this as the toolboxes/workshops etc you did and include all the meetings with your mentors.
    It doesn't matter if he was crap, as far as the form is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭clo1

Hi all, I am planning to stay in Ireland for the next year to complete the workshops before going to England to teach next year. Since I will have completed the workshops (but not the 300 teaching hours) will I have to do an induction programme in the UK as well.? In this case, I wont bOther with the workshops and will just wait and do the full induction in thE UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 steviedoyle

The Teaching council have some very easy options they could choose from. An intense summer course would allow foreign teachers to fly home. Also in this age of the amazing internet, surely they could contemplate an online classroom via Skype or some such application. I have no problem attending the workshops, but I am currently in my second year of work in Colombia, and I'm not coming back before the 3 years requirement is up...Come on Teaching Council, catch up with the fact that most of the people that the Universities are training are fleeing the country as fast as possible..Online classes are the way forward people..Inform the TC that the internet is available outside of Ireland now haha

Advertisement