Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adding Irish as a teaching subject

• 25-06-2012 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi all,

I studied Irish in the first year of my degree and I would like to improve my language skills with the aim of becoming qualified to teach Irish. Its something I have been considering ever since I gave up the subject going into second year of college. I am considering studying for a postgrad diploma in Irish but I am not sure if that would be enough for the teaching council.

Has anyone gone down this road before? Are there any courses that will allow me to add Irish as a teaching subject? Even if its not an option i think I would still like to go ahead with the postgrad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Seanchai has posted a link to the higher diploma in arts in a thread below. Might have Irish:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

When I was doing the dip, our course director told us about another diploma we could do (in parallel I think) in Irish teaching. I was in NUI Galway and beyond that, I'm afraid I have no information for you but it might be worth investigating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

RealJohn wrote: »
    When I was doing the dip, our course director told us about another diploma we could do (in parallel I think) in Irish teaching. I was in NUI Galway and beyond that, I'm afraid I have no information for you but it might be worth investigating.

i know nuig allow students to take the postgrad dip in irish at a reduced rate so it mite be one and the same.. i'll call up the education dept and see if they can help me out. Thanks for all the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

lestat21 wrote: »
    RealJohn wrote: »

i know nuig allow students to take the postgrad dip in irish at a reduced rate so it mite be one and the same.. i'll call up the education dept and see if they can help me out. Thanks for all the advice
    No, it was seperate from that one. This was specifically to enable people to teach Irish, though I don't know if the TC would accept it now. I'm not sure if it brought the Irish to degree level or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Hey RealJohn I'm not sure about the course you mentioned but the teaching council say that if you have a subject in first year of your degree and you complete a higher diploma in the same subject, then you can be registered to teach this subject :) Althou that could change next week knowing the teaching council

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Hey RealJohn I'm not sure about the course you mentioned but the teaching council say that if you have a subject in first year of your degree and you complete a higher diploma in the same subject, then you can be registered to teach this subject :) Althou that could change next week knowing the teaching council

Has anyone heard of adding a subject that was not studied in 1st year? Irish or Spanish as opposed to Oscail's English and History or the OU's maths? Thanks a million for any input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hi all,

I studied Irish in the first year of my degree and I would like to improve my language skills with the aim of becoming qualified to teach Irish. Its something I have been considering ever since I gave up the subject going into second year of college. I am considering studying for a postgrad diploma in Irish but I am not sure if that would be enough for the teaching council.

Has anyone gone down this road before? Are there any courses that will allow me to add Irish as a teaching subject? Even if its not an option i think I would still like to go ahead with the postgrad.

you might be able to teach it to JC, but even if you are a native speaker you are not qualified to teach it unless you took it to degree level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Fuinseog wrote: »
    you might be able to teach it to JC, but even if you are a native speaker you are not qualified to teach it unless you took it to degree level.

There is no such thing as being able to "teach to Junior Cert". That was an urban legend! You are either qualified to teach a subject or not.
    The teaching council have also been very clear on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    There is no such thing as being able to "teach to Junior Cert". That was an urban legend! You are either qualified to teach a subject or not.
    The teaching council have also been very clear on this.

there is also the issue of supply and demand. if for example, a school is looking for a Irish teacher for only three hours a week they will be hard pressed.I have taught my first year subjects up to JC. it works in the short term.

In my last school I encountered three newly qualified teachers who claimed not to be even registered with the council. this despite the fact that schools are not supposed to be taking on unqualified teachers.

Advertisement