Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread ideas

Options
  • 25-06-2012 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

I made my first loaf on Sunday based on a Rachel (I'm so happy I look like I've taken crack) Allen recipe which turned out well. Am looking at trying out some other recipes now so do the people of Cooking & Recipes have any wonderful treats to share? I use dry rather than fresh yeast and am keen to hear of any ideas!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The forum search brings up lots of results for bread. Have a look through the existing threads for ideas.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Brilliant, thanks for that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Merkin wrote: »
    I made my first loaf on Sunday based on a Rachel (I'm so happy I look like I've taken crack) Allen recipe which turned out well. Am looking at trying out some other recipes now so do the people of Cooking & Recipes have any wonderful treats to share? I use dry rather than fresh yeast and am keen to hear of any ideas!

Very good book called 'Bread Revolution' concentrates on making loads of different types of real bread, my favourite is the potato & rosemary loaf (used for steak sandwich).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 teflonchest

The forum search brings up lots of results for bread. Have a look through the existing threads for ideas.

tHB

Great thread. I liked the Sourdough recipe and the Bushman Bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I started an herb garden this year, so I have been experimenting a lot with focaccia - not only can you make it dozens of different ways, but it makes great, flavorful sandwich bread. Plus since it is savory, there is no sugar in it; it is basically yeast, flour, water, salt, and whatever combination of herbs and vegetables that you want. Some of my favorites have been pureed sun-dried tomatoes in the dough with romano cheese sprinkled on top, and baked-in rosemary with sea salt and olive oil crust. The other nice thing about it is that you can roast vegetables while letting the bread rise and bake cycle which then make for great sandwiches.

The last time I made it, I formed it into a square, baked and sliced it (so it looked like a giant hamburger bun), and then filled it with layers of chicken, roasted veggies (eggplant and zucchini), cheese, and sun dried tomato tapenade. I then cut the mega-sandwich into several smaller squares and wrapped them up to bring for lunch. Not only were they DELICIOUS, but they kept well in the fridge for 2-3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thanks so much Rosie. Have a pretty extensive herb garden too and you've given me lots of NYUM ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

Anyone have any idea where you can buy Odlums Strong Wholemeal Flour for bread machines, in Cork preferably?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Look up recipes for bread made with beer - It's incredibly simple to make, and brings a whole new taste into your loaf. They're really good for making toasted sandwiches with.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mick F

cold case wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea where you can buy Odlums Strong Wholemeal Flour for bread machines, in Cork preferably?

Dunnes normally have it in Dublin so I assume the same applies in Cork :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

This recipe is great, I made it with sun-dried tomato instead of olives.

IMAG0463.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

I like to make beer bread. (must be million recipes on internet) but about 3 cups self rising flour, 12 oz, beer and a teaspoon or two sugar. I like to chop up green onion and about 5 strips of bacon, a cup of shredded cheese and some chopped up pimento stuffed olives, fry off the bacon and onion then add bacon grease and all to bread dough, Bake till sounds hollow, I don't know how well this keeps as It has never lasted more than an hour at my house. It's great toasted and a meal all by itself.

Advertisement