Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tower Defense appreciation thread

Options
  • 25-06-2012 7:50pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

My fave genre at the moment.

With the steam sales and indie bundle deals I have a fair few

Have so many of them to get through but I get stuck on one trying to max out gold medals/achievements.

Put ~260 hours into Defense Grid: the Awakening trying to get gold on all challenges and am currently playing Fieldrunners (very very hard)

Also have Orcs must Die!, Dungeon defenders, Unstoppable Gorg, Sol Survivor, Sanctum, Cubemen, and loads more to get through!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't play any tower defense games as I'm pretty sure Plants vs Zombies is as brilliant an example of the genre as anyone will ever make.

This is perhaps not the healthiest mindset, but I am confident any game currently existing is unable to prove my thesis incorrect, so I shall continue my crusade of blissful ignorance.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Plants vs Zombies is **** imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

jayteecork wrote: »
    Plants vs Zombies is **** imo.

There's a fine line between subjective opinion and objective fact.

Plants vs Zombie's greatness falls into the latter category.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I'm quite partial to a good tower defence game. Love Plants vs Zombies, and Defence Grid would be my favourite. Working my way through Warzone Anomaly Earth, and its quite enjoyable, probably more tower offence.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

There's a fine line between subjective opinion and objective fact.

Plants vs Zombie's greatness falls into the latter category.

No.

It's far too simple, it's extremely easy, it's very repetitive.
    The humour isn't particularly amusing . A lot of pointless plants, "towers" can't be upgraded. Each stage is usually a 12x5 grid. Can't change zombie paths.

I dont' like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

jayteecork wrote: »
    No.

It's far too simple, it's extremely easy, it's very repetitive.
    The humour isn't particularly amusing . A lot of pointless plants, "towers" can't be upgraded. Each stage is usually a 12x5 grid. Can't change zombie paths.

I dont' like.

But millions of others do, specifically the mobile crowd.

HUGE tower defense fan myself. Whenever a new one pops up on kongregate or newgrounds or the likes I usually lose that whole day!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RogerWilco1982

Very simple, but I really enjoyed this;

http://event.asus.com/Xtreme_Design/mb/mayhem/En.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Limericks wrote: »
    But millions of others do, specifically the mobile crowd.

HUGE tower defense fan myself. Whenever a new one pops up on kongregate or newgrounds or the likes I usually lose that whole day!

Sounds like Plants Vs Zombies is the COD of tower defense games! :D Played through it and enjoyed it, didn't touch it afterwards. I enjoy the genre but everytime a new one comes out there is always another "serious" game that occupies my time more and i forget about the Tower Def game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

mushroom tower defence, is probably the best one I've played in years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

My GF who never ever plays games picked up my vanilla PvZ and played and beat it in 2 nights playing dying maybe 10ish times. It's a fun game as demonstrated by getting her instantly hooked but it is very simple. Tower defence for the masses I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

PvZ is a fine game in the same way that Call of Duty is a fine game - it's got buckets of fun and mass market appeal and has sold millions :) That's cool, it's not trying to be anything else.

Defence Grid is a better and more refined Tower Defence game though (and apparently with the Portal themed expansion is ludicrously tough and funny).

I have 2 very good games on my phone that are quick and easy and fun to play called Robo Defence and Tower Raiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I find this tower defense the best; http://www.mindjolt.com/warzone-tower-defense.html

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bellylint

not a huge fan of the genre, but this really got me interested and has me wanting more of it

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Ironhidegames/kingdom-rush

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Tower Defense killed productivity in my last job for a few weeks. In the summer of 2009 my bosses just finished up downsizing and our workload dried up so to pass the time we each did our own thing. They saw me try out Plants vs Zombies and within a day the whole office was hooked. We played the **** out of it between work duties for 2 weeks straight then moved on to Bloons Tower Defense (try it - Monkeys; Balloons; fun)

Really wanna try out Orcs Must Die but beyond the demo I dont have disposable cash right now - which is going to make the Steam Summer Sale a really bad idea for me.

Advertisement