Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 - where to go?

Options
  • 25-06-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering how do I go about planning for doing the J1 next year.

Any recommendations on places anyone has been that I could go to?

Where for example would have good accomodation prices and close proximity to nightlife?

Thanks,

Michael

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

You're certainly planning early, which is a good thing. How old are you/will you be and how many of you will there be, OP?

There's basically two ways you can go on a j1, the hotspots or somewhere off the beaten track. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. It depends what you're looking for.

I went to San Diego, which at the time (2010) was one of the busiest spots, If I'm honest, I would have preferred somewhere with less Irish but I was going with a group and got outvoted.

The hotspots seem to be San Diego, Chicago and a part of New Jersey that I just cannot remember the name of at the moment.

A lot of people go to places like New York too but you don't find big colonies of Irish people together because of the accom market.

I've heard good things about Austin (Texas), Alaska, parts of Connecticut, Colorado and Portland. They would qualify as "off the beaten track".

What do you like to do OP? Beaches, museums, adventure sports? It would give us an idea of where you might like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Apologies for the delay in a reply, been busy the past few days.
    FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    You're certainly planning early, which is a good thing. How old are you/will you be and how many of you will there be, OP?

I am 21 this month, I've discussed going on the J1 with maybe two or three of my friends but I don't think we will know till a bit later like maybe early into second year. More and more I'm feeling I really want to do the J1 as I'm getting older and worried I might end up too old for it, if I don't do it next year.
    There's basically two ways you can go on a j1, the hotspots or somewhere off the beaten track. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. It depends what you're looking for.

I went to San Diego, which at the time (2010) was one of the busiest spots, If I'm honest, I would have preferred somewhere with less Irish but I was going with a group and got outvoted.

I don't mind busy places, I love the chance to meet as many people as I can, I've also heard good things from friends of friends that went to places with many Irish and for it always being good craic.
    A lot of people go to places like New York too but you don't find big colonies of Irish people together because of the accom market.

I've heard good things about Austin (Texas), Alaska, parts of Connecticut, Colorado and Portland. They would qualify as "off the beaten track".
    What do you like to do OP? Beaches, museums, adventure sports? It would give us an idea of where you might like.

I enjoy adventure sports, I'd have fun doing skydiving, parasailing and the likes. Also like beaches as I am a bit of a sun person.

Not mad about museums, but I'd give them a go, though my former choice is more appealing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** Moving from USA- TRavel to USA (Living) where there are other J1 posts ***

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Any other advice?

I know I haven't posted here in a while, but my cousin says that I need to get some sort of paper work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Prettyfireworks

karaokeman wrote: »
    Any other advice?

I know I haven't posted here in a while, but my cousin says that I need to get some sort of paper work done.

Have a look at Usit website, they're one of the company's offering J1 packages so you'd get information on the paperwork there. That isn't something you need to worry about just yet though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Go through USIT, they will sort out all the paperwork for you, they'll organise your embassy meeting and most important of all they will sort out your visa and flights. I went to Boston in summer 2010. Best summer of my life, would have been better if I was 21 but still there was tonnes of Irish there and had some amazing piss ups and memories! Only problem with Boston is that there wouldn't be as many jobs there as other parts of America. Seeing as there is so many Irish J1 students over there, jobs seem to be snapped up fairly fast. Friends of mine have been to Huntington Beach and San Francisco and they had no problem getting jobs. I hate to say this but by the sound of things these places were even better than Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

nbar12 wrote: »
    Go through USIT, they will sort out all the paperwork for you, they'll organise your embassy meeting and most important of all they will sort out your visa and flights. I went to Boston in summer 2010. Best summer of my life, would have been better if I was 21 but still there was tonnes of Irish there and had some amazing piss ups and memories! Only problem with Boston is that there wouldn't be as many jobs there as other parts of America. Seeing as there is so many Irish J1 students over there, jobs seem to be snapped up fairly fast. Friends of mine have been to Huntington Beach and San Francisco and they had no problem getting jobs. I hate to say this but by the sound of things these places were even better than Boston.

Yeah i did a J1 back in Boston years back and thought it was brilliant - only when i got back and heard other stories from other cities that I realized Boston isnt the best choice when doing a J1. Wouldn't recommend NY either on account of the crazy rent prices.

Was in Ocean city recently enough and it seems to be a big J1 spot - all bars and restaurants so imagine there is alot of seasonal work - they seemed quite strict on the being over 21 thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Consider the other companies too, like go4less. I don't think we can diss companies but to say usit took me for a ride is an understatement.

Consider the other companies too, like go4less. I don't think we can diss companies but to say usit took me for a ride is an understatement.

Yeah I completely forgot about go4less. A friend of mine went through these when he booked Boston and he had no problems. I plan on going on a J1 next summer and I'm going to go through go4less this time, simply because my friend got himself a direct flight for cheaper the price, whereas I had to pay an extra €150 to travel to London and then onto Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

OP, from what I've heard San Diego is supposed to be fantastic especially if you like the beach. Some of my friends went there last year, but three of them had to come home early because they couldn't get jobs. As far as I know if you get out there some time in May you stand a better chance of getting a job.

Any chance anyone has any advice about doing a J1 in Northern California? Thinking of perhaps trying to rent a room in Oakland then commuting to SF. Not sure how unrealistic/expensive a plan like this would be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

OP, from what I've heard San Diego is supposed to be fantastic especially if you like the beach. Some of my friends went there last year, but three of them had to come home early because they couldn't get jobs. As far as I know if you get out there some time in May you stand a better chance of getting a job.

Any chance anyone has any advice about doing a J1 in Northern California? Thinking of perhaps trying to rent a room in Oakland then commuting to SF. Not sure how unrealistic/expensive a plan like this would be!

Oakland to SF is definitely a reasonable commute and a lot of people do it. Was only in Oakland twice but thought it was a dump and felt unsafe all the time. Wouldnt do it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    Oakland to SF is definitely a reasonable commute and a lot of people do it. Was only in Oakland twice but thought it was a dump and felt unsafe all the time. Wouldnt do it myself

Any chance you were around Piedmont/Lake Merritt? I've heard that West Oakland is to be avoided but that the aforementioned places are meant to be okay.

my friends went to huntington beach last summer, they all got jobs no bother! they said it was 10 times better than boston the year before! the only problem was they had to pay all their rent up front so they were broke for the first few weeks until they eventually found work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Any chance you were around Piedmont/Lake Merritt? I've heard that West Oakland is to be avoided but that the aforementioned places are meant to be okay.

Piedmont isn't Oakland, it's at the very end of the Bart line, another 9 or 10 stops on from Oakland as far as I remember, I've never been out there so no idea what it's like. You definately don't want to live in West Oakland or even parts of downtown, too dangerous. East Oakland (the hills) will be too expensive for a J1 student. Rockridge and Berkeley are both good shouts.

Commuting from the East Bay to San Francisco is very expensive as there are no monthly Bart tickets, it's all a distance based formula so that eats into your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Super_Marrio

When is it considered too late to get the ball rolling in terms of paperwork? We're looking to do Berkeley this year and are wondering if the costs increase soon! Also how much money should ya bring over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

When I went in 2009, we waited until April of that year to book everything and left for the US in June. It was difficult though and everything was rushed. I wouldn't suggest waiting that late, but since it's only December, I would say you have another month or two to comfortably apply and not rush to get everything done (i.e. interviews, required paperwork, finance etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Super_Marrio

Nice one! We're gonna get started on that now.. How is the place in terms of rent, accommodation, jobs money etc. I'd love to know roughly how much I'll bring over! Keep the summer on top form like! :)

Advertisement