Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andrea Pirlo appreciation thread

• 25-06-2012 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

Dont know if there is a similar thread but if there isnt there should be.

For too long Pirlo has been ignored and underrated while Xavi, Iniesta etc have been hailed as the saviours of football. Any regular Serie A viewers will already understand the genius of Pirlo. Definitely up there with the great midfielders of his generation

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

He doesn't track back though.

Hadn't heard of him til two weeks ago but I now realise he's one of the best in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Samich wrote: »
    He doesn't track back though.
    Let the Scott Parkers of this world do the tracking back.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

His move to Juventus as a free agent was definitely the deal of 2011 and can only make you laugh when you compare a deal like Andy Carrolls. Some of his play this tournament has been beautiful to watch. It really does remind me of the class and style that Zidane brought to the 2006 world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He does some of the things that the great players do, but there are some things the great players did that he would never do. The simple things, Im talking about the really simple basic things here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

A great player , but that penalty against England was stoppable and could have went horribly wrong .

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

Surely a candidate for Ballon d'Or if Italy win the Euros? He will more than likely be ignored either way so people can have the whole Messi-CR thing again, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A great player , but that penalty against England was stoppable and could have went horribly wrong .

Every pen is stoppable.
    The man has balls of steel to do that in a shootout in the qf of the euros - serious entertainment value there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I agree, Dunphy getting wet over it last night too. If he kicked it straight down the middle, without chipping it would they have said it's as good, or is it just because he chipped it in?

I think he's playing great atm, but he can be marked out of it imo if you man mark him. Spain don't do that, Ireland lol, Croatia kept him quiet in the 2nd half and England didn't do anything to stop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

He was great against England but England were totally clueless, they gave him space and time to dictate tempo.

But great great player though, love watching him play. One of the best passers of his generation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    He was great against England but England were totally clueless, they gave him space and time to dictate tempo.

But great great player though, love watching him play. One of the best passers of his generation.

Seriously lads great players make there own time and space thats what makes them quality players.. No matter how hard u try they will get the best of u in the end...

And the peno was quality!!! Totally different to just burying it down the middle thats just head dwn and whack it and hope.... His peno took talent skill and balls of steel

It didn't go wrong though.

Every penalty is stoppable btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

He's alright I suppose. No Oxlade-Chamberlain tho.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

He's been brillant for years,very underated in my opinion imo,an absolute pleasure to watch with the ball,a genius in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Definitely one of the best passers of a football. Always in space so everyone else can pass to him and never hurried on the ball.
    The way he's able to just spin around from challenges and still be in possession, he makes it look like the easiest thing in the world!

Love watching him play and loved to be in charge of Milan in manager games, just to see him get the ball in front of the box, take 2 strides forward and put the ball wherever he wants on the pitch.

Why Milan let him go at is baffling, considering how they've kept the likes of Maldini, Costacurta and Seedorf well beyond his age. Only reason I can think is a wage issue or he was told he wouldn't be playing as much last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

If players always took the safe option football would be very boring. When a player does something like Pirlo did last night thats what gives us the entertainment and enjoyment . Less robots more risk takers please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I agree, Dunphy getting wet over it last night too. If he kicked it straight down the middle, without chipping it would they have said it's as good, or is it just because he chipped it in?

I think he's playing great atm, but he can be marked out of it imo if you man mark him. Spain don't do that, Ireland lol, Croatia kept him quiet in the 2nd half and England didn't do anything to stop him.

But chipping it fools the keeper more than a simple kick down the middle, you have to adjust your technique of kicking it to do so, to feign the keeper to the right and then chip it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Seriously lads great players make there own time and space thats what makes them quality players.. No matter how hard u try they will get the best of u in the end...

And the peno was quality!!! Totally different to just burying it down the middle thats just head dwn and whack it and hope.... His peno took talent skill and balls of steel

So you are saying they can't be marked out?

I have seen Park marking him without giving any space when ManUtd played Milan in 2010, Pirlo was good but not this good in that game.

Not saying they can be easily marked out with hard working players but saying "No matter how hard u try they will get the best of u in the end" is taking it too far imo.

And I didn't say anything that didn't happen, England didn't try to put him under pressure and that's what I said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

I don't get this notion that he's underrated at all.

He was well renowned by the world of football as a worldclass player before this tournament began. It's no real surprise to anyone that he's performing well in the euros because as I said, he's top class.

I'm actually not having this, he is underrated argument.

No way, not by anyone who actually watches much football over the last 10 years.

He has been recognised for his talent for many many years now.

Just because you (not at anyone in particular) were largely unaware of him for some reason doesn not mean he has not been rated in the upper echelons of the game for a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Like it did a few years ago...

Makes it more impressive that he tried it again. The one he missed was only in a friendly anyway but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What a humiliating masterclass he gave last night, even at times when 3 England players tried to dispossess and crowd him. He just had all the time in the world. His penalty was absolutely exquisite, leaving Hart suitably embarrassed after all his flapping and gamesmanship failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Surely a candidate for Ballon d'Or if Italy win the Euros? He will more than likely be ignored either way so people can have the whole Messi-CR thing again, though.

He'd definitely be up there as a serious candidate, but he wouldn't have a chance. If Portugal win the Euros then Ronaldo could well get it. If they don't then Messi has it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

leaving Hart suitably embarrassed after all his flapping and gamesmanship failed.

how was Hart humiliated, he dived to one side, as keepers will do the vast majority of the time? Had Pirlo missed, he'd have looked like an utter moron, bear in mind italy had already missed one at that stage and england had converted both of theirs. It doesnt take skill, it takes balls of steel / recklessness, given what was at stake. Well see what he's up to against the germans...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    how was Hart humiliated, he dived to one side, as keepers will do the vast majority of the time? Had Pirlo missed, he'd have looked like an utter moron, bear in mind italy had already missed one at that stage and england had converted both of theirs. It doesnt take skill, it takes balls of steel / recklessness, given what was at stake. Well see what he's up to against the germans...

Hart was taunting the Italian players, trying to put them off by making faces at them. It was nice to see Pirlo making a fool of him after all that.

AwMNOGYCQAAjQf2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Hart was taunting the Italian players, trying to put them off by making faces at them. It was nice to see Pirlo making a fool of him after all that.

AwMNOGYCQAAjQf2.jpg

Also Balotelli did point to the bottom left corner and then buried it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I've always been a big fan and admirer of Pirlo, but any man who humiliates Joe Hart like that goes up a good few notches in my estimation.

Italy's midfield is not a one-man team though. If you put one or two men on Pirlo, you're going to free up space for the likes of Marchisio and De Rossi.

Whatever about Pirlo, I definitely think this group of Italian players as a whole have been underrated by many. The spine of the team have come through an unbeaten season domestically, with the added benefit of not having played in Europe making them fresher than their opponents.

Germany are rightly favourites to beat them, but I think it is much closer than most people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Aenaes wrote: »
    Definitely one of the best passers of a football. Always in space so everyone else can pass to him and never hurried on the ball.
    The way he's able to just spin around from challenges and still be in possession, he makes it look like the easiest thing in the world!

Love watching him play and loved to be in charge of Milan in manager games, just to see him get the ball in front of the box, take 2 strides forward and put the ball wherever he wants on the pitch.

Why Milan let him go at is baffling, considering how they've kept the likes of Maldini, Costacurta and Seedorf well beyond his age. Only reason I can think is a wage issue or he was told he wouldn't be playing as much last season.

milan have a policy of not offering long term contracts when over 30, he was offered a year extension like the rest of the older guys have been on, its a diminshing contract as well, each year they make less, seedorf was on 800k for his final season. Juve came in an offered a guaranteed 4 year contract with 4.5 million a year i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

He has a quality that is frowned on in the English game.
    Intelligence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

kincsem wrote: »
    He has a quality that is frowned on in the English game.
    Intelligence

His ball control won't win him any fans either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Outstanding performance of the tournament last night from him. Anything like that in the semi and he has to be on for player of the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Germany are rightly favourites to beat them, but I think it is much closer than most people think.
    will be interesting to see, i reckon the germans will hammer them, whether or not that is fairly reflected in the end score is another question...

He'd definitely be up there as a serious candidate, but he wouldn't have a chance. If Portugal win the Euros then Ronaldo could well get it. If they don't then Messi has it.

Its closer this year I think because Madrid won the league and Ronnie got goals in Classicos, Messi and his phenomenal stats are keeping it close however, Ronnie may need to at least get to the final to put him over the top.

AwMNOGYCQAAjQf2.jpg

This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did Joe Hart trying to put off the Italians actually bother people? Have to say I had no issue with it whatsoever, found it hilarious actually and was only thinking he must be a nightmare to take a penalty against :)

It didn't work last night obviously, but its all part of the game imo, if you can psyche the guy out then you should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

kryogen wrote: »
    its all part of the game imo, if you can psyche the guy out then you should.

Buffon stood there respectfully.

None of the shooters were pulling faces.

etc.

• Advertisement

tolosenc wrote: »
    Buffon stood there respectfully.

None of the shooters were pulling faces.

etc.

Hart is hardly the first keeper, or player to use gamesmanship. Balotelli poiting to where was going to put it was gamesmanship, as was Buffon pointing to where he wanted one of the English lads, sorry cant remember which, to put the ball (not standing there respectfully) The run up and almost complete stop was a bit of gamesmanship too.

I have no love for him whatsoever, but think people need to pull the knickers out of their ass on this one.

This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did Joe Hart trying to put off the Italians actually bother people? Have to say I had no issue with it whatsoever, found it hilarious actually and was only thinking he must be a nightmare to take a penalty against :)

It didn't work last night obviously, but its all part of the game imo, if you can psyche the guy out then you should.

I'd no problem. I'd expect it. Buffon was at the same I think pointing at which way he wanted Rooney to shoot.

I just thought it was class the way Pirlo kind of put him back in his box.

Some balls on him to try that. If he missed I reckon England had it won. I'd be afraid to even try it in a peno shoot out after training never mind in an actual match.

I'd no problem. I'd expect it. Buffon was at the same I think pointing at which way he wanted Rooney to shoot.

I just thought it was class the way Pirlo kind of put him back in his box.

Some balls on him to try that. If he missed I reckon England had it won. I'd be afraid to even try it in a peno shoot out after training never mind in an actual match.

Yep absolutely brilliant reposte from him :)

Gives the Italians a major boost and a wave of confidence while simultaniously knocking the stuffing out of Hart and England :)

Loved it

Yep absolutely brilliant reposte from him :)

Gives the Italians a major boost and a wave of confidence while simultaniously knocking the stuffing out of Hart and England :)

Loved it

I was delighted for him as well. He was so brilliant in the game that he deserved to be the one to do something special in the shoot out.

It's not often that I stand up and applaud a player for taking a penalty, but that was definitely one of those moments. Such an amazing penalty.

Could definitely see him winning the player of the tournament if they get past Germany (as unlikely as that may be). Forlán won it in '10 and they only reached the semis.

He was head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch, another performance like that would certainly help his cause

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I don't get this notion that he's underrated at all.

He was well renowned by the world of football as a worldclass player before this tournament began. It's no real surprise to anyone that he's performing well in the euros because as I said, he's top class.

Zing.

First comment at the time to hit the nail on the head.

-Ade- wrote: »
    Zing.

First comment at the time to hit the nail on the head.

Yeah, he got his posted 6 minutes before me, but I had to stop and help get a kitten out of a tree as I was writing the post, otherwise I would have hit the post reply button so much faster then him.

Just sayin

Yeah, he got his posted 6 minutes before me, but I had to stop and help get a kitten out of a tree as I was writing the post, otherwise I would have hit the post reply button so much faster then him.

Just sayin

.. okay.

Sarcasm detector may be on the fritz, then again, I may be drinking.

Probably me, I'm tired. I honestly stopped at yer man's post. First one I entirely agreed with. He's (Pirlo) always been class.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The first game I have ever seen him play exceptionally well in. Was always over rated in my opinion. Fair dues though, he bossed the game against England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Brilliant from Match magazine's pre tournament sticker collection...

210383.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The man's a legend, made Hart out to be the muppet that he is.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

iregk wrote: »
    Brilliant from Match magazine's pre tournament sticker collection...

210383.png
    That is ridiculous, and I'm a United fan. Ashley Young is a very average player in my opinion and not at all proven at the top level (Champions League and International), where as Pirlo has been proven at that level for a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

That type of penalty was done before by postiga vs England and a sub in the Uruguay Ghana game in the world cup. If ballotelli tried it, it would be called arrogant and niaive, but with Pirlo its a master stroke.

• Advertisement
Advertisement