Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andrea Pirlo appreciation thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

cournioni wrote: »
    That is ridiculous, and I'm a United fan. Ashley Young is a very average player in my opinion and not at all proven at the top level (Champions League and International), where as Pirlo has been proven at that level for a decade.

How can Pirlo's pass be worth only 79 and cross 82? That's an absolute shambles. They must have gotten Alan Shearer to compile the stats. Alan wouldn't be the greatest with numbers I'd imagine.

EDIT: Just realised it was Match magazine. No wonder the stats were so ridiculous. Has to be the worst magazine ever printed. I pity the kids who still read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Poor shot on him too, deffo have Young in the team ahead of him

Have to say actually, even as a United fan Youngs stats are ridiculously hilarious!

Shooting 87
    Pass 84
    Cross 96 (yep, that still makes no sense)

Just saw this video on my Twitter feed. I know most people here hate Phil Brown as it is, but after this you'll wish he never managed again.

It's an excerpt of an interview from 5 Live where he's wondering why Pirlo never played in England, "is he homophobic, or is he just Italian through and through?"

It is the stupidest thing that I've ever heard. There's ifs, buts or probablys. This is just retarded on every single level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    The man's a legend, made Hart out to be the muppet that he is.

Ridiculous, hateful post. Having watched Hart over the last few years I can't think of any reason to dislike the chap. He seems like a very likable person. Its people like you that really make me dislike football fans and give football fans a bad name. I swear, its as if football fans hate footballers no matter what they do. It must be jealousy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Poor Helder Postiga didn't get half as much praise for his cheeky penalty v England in 04 (in sudden death wasn't it? Which makes it more impressive). :pac:

Anyway pirlo had a cracking game but he has been top class before this tournament you know?

Lol at people giving out about Hart. Nothing wrong with what he did. Haters gonna hate I guess. Canizares in 01 iirc, Dudek, Grobbelaer, and I'm sure many others have tried similar. Was it Dida too who made sure to hand every player the ball when they were taking theirs (coulda been v Lpool 05-could be wrong on that though)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Sat down to watch the match with the wife the other night. She asked "Who's good that plays for Italy?". So I said to keep an eye out for Pirlo, he'll be running the show. So at the end of the game she says "How did you know he was so good?". Well darling that's because I've seen him play in real life 3 times, you were with me at the same matches :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Just saw this video on my Twitter feed. I know most people here hate Phil Brown as it is, but after this you'll wish he never managed again.

It's an excerpt of an interview from 5 Live where he's wondering why Pirlo never played in England, "is he homophobic, or is he just Italian through and through?"

It is the stupidest thing that I've ever heard. There's ifs, buts or probablys. This is just retarded on every single level.

While Phil Brown is obviously a total fool, I'm pretty sure he attempted to do a 'Barton' here and use a big word like 'Anglophobic' but never having attempted to put so many syllables together before got it horribly wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

About to write a post saying that the pirlo love recently has been a bit OTT but decided against it because he is in excellent player, even if I disagree with some of what is being said.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Pirlo is a fantastic player, he has finally gotten the credit and attention he deserves, which was denied to him because we played with excellent players such as Kaka, Gattuso and Seedorf.

To think AC Milan sold him to Juventus, as bad a decision as Leeds selling Cantona to Manchester United!

• Advertisement

Seriously mate

Pirlo has not been underrated, and he was not sold, he left at the end of his contract.

Just noticed Gattuso in your list of excellent players ahead of him, amusing :)

Great description by The Big Sam on twitter

"Gutted by the result, but what a performance from Pirlo. He looks like a flamboyant yet intense concert pianist, driven by a tragic past." :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Pains me to say it but his move to Juve completely revitalised his career. His last couple of seasons at Milan weren't great, showed poor levels of consistancy, and Alegri's system really didn't suit him either, possibly needed a change of scene as well with new challenges as he did it all with Milan. Been back to his mid 2000's peak this season along side one of the most dynamic midfields with Vidal and Marchisio. Baffled by the posts saying his ability isn't given enough credit, anyone whose opinion is worth listening to have long recognized his talents and is no way underrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Pirlo is supreme footballer.

Better passer then Xavi if im honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Pirlo is probably the only midfielder who could keep Xavi on the bench at Barca.

Panenka was the best chipped penalty of them all. Went in the corner where the keeper went.

Also still love Zidane's chip in the WC 2006 final.

He probably doesn't have that much of a better range of passing than Xavi but in a match situation he uses a lot more different types of passes. Xavi plays an awful lot more short passes. Pirlo could play a short one or a 50 yard pass and he'd land it on the striker's toe.

That's more to do with the styles of play of each player's team though than another player's limitations or strengths.

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Pains me to say it but his move to Juve completely revitalised his career. His last couple of seasons at Milan weren't great, showed poor levels of consistancy, and Alegri's system really didn't suit him either, possibly needed a change of scene as well with new challenges as he did it all with Milan. Been back to his mid 2000's peak this season along side one of the most dynamic midfields with Vidal and Marchisio. Baffled by the posts saying his ability isn't given enough credit, anyone whose opinion is worth listening to have long recognized his talents and is no way underrated.

I agree with this, I think he has performed better since his move then he has done in a while, he was at Milan a long time (10 years?), sometimes a player needs to move to freshen himself up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I got slated for telling a mate that he needed to leave Milan. The fact is and I've said this countless times. He is and has been the best passer of a football for 10 years now. No exceptions. That said he went stale at Milan and the move to Juve re-lit the fire in him. He looked reborn and not the player he has been the previous 3 seasons.

Delighted to see him back at his best.

Also those having a go at Hart. Get a life for god sake. Goal keeper trying to put off kicker in penalty shootout shocker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

He probably doesn't have that much of a better range of passing than Xavi but in a match situation he uses a lot more different types of passes. Xavi plays an awful lot more short passes. Pirlo could play a short one or a 50 yard pass and he'd land it on the striker's toe.

That's more to do with the styles of play of each player's team though than another player's limitations or strengths.
    I was thinking about this last night, the different range of passes both players use, and imo, if both players were brought up in the same academy and played for similar styled teams they would be near identical players. I think they both have similar abilities, but it's more obvious in Pirlo's case because he uses a lot more longer passes. Put Pirlo in Xavi's place at Barca and I think he would, after a few games to adjust and all that, be a perfect replacement, likewise if you were to put Xavi in an Italian/Juve shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Sweet Jeebus!!!

I used to stand beside a guy at LoI games years ago and if a guy was playing well he used to say he will play at International level and make it across the water. Just becasue Pirlo played very well against England people are coming out saying ridiculous stuff.

Pirlo has never been underrated. It might be the case that some thought his career was on the slide when he left Milan last summer. He has always been regarded as one of the best central midfielders in Europe. But Xavi is one of, if not the single greatest passer of the ball in the history of football. He is peerless imo and as great as Pirlo has been he is not as good as Xavi Hernandez at passing a ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Ridiculous stuff :D

Look, people aren't saying that Paul Green is a better passer than Xavi, y'know?

• Advertisement

539590_3559707828244_241504667_n.jpg

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Pirlo's always been class, always liked him as a player.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

eagle eye wrote: »
    Sweet Jeebus!!!

I used to stand beside a guy at LoI games years ago and if a guy was playing well he used to say he will play at International level and make it across the water. Just becasue Pirlo played very well against England people are coming out saying ridiculous stuff.

Pirlo has never been underrated. It might be the case that some thought his career was on the slide when he left Milan last summer. He has always been regarded as one of the best central midfielders in Europe. But Xavi is one of, if not the single greatest passer of the ball in the history of football. He is peerless imo and as great as Pirlo has been he is not as good as Xavi Hernandez at passing a ball.

Relax!! Everyone entitled to opinions and all that.

Xavi is one my favourite footballers I have seen. Even met him once.

But, having watched Pirlo for long time, he never has poor game and his range of passing is exceptional.

I dont know where your getting that im underrating him, if anything its opposite.

Pilro has done it in good and average sides. Xavi was no better when Barca were not at the level they are now.

Football has been around longer then when Barca became great.

Xavi has not had the same consistency as Pirlo, not thats not right, he has not been doing it at a certain level for as long as Pirlo has, I couldnt really split the guys though, Pirlo uses different types of pass, it seems like he has a better range but I am sure that if Barcelona were playing a different style that he would adapt his game and style of passing also.

The need to compare and contrast players bugs me at times, can we not ever just appreciate them for their own individual talent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

That type of penalty was done before by postiga vs England and a sub in the Uruguay Ghana game in the world cup. If ballotelli tried it, it would be called arrogant and niaive, but with Pirlo its a master stroke.

That's because Pirlo commands so much more respect than Balotelli. And rightfully so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I suppose it has surprised people he is performing at such a high level late in his career, like Zidane in 2006. But he's always been rated as one of the best in Europe for 10 years now, was always rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Rezident

Great player and it was good to see him winning the league with Juve after Milan got rid of him.

But do you remember him going down against us, and staying down - when everyone knows he's not injured - and staying there ruining the game until the ball is kicked out. I hate that lark and far too much of it nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Rezident wrote: »
    Great player and it was good to see him winning the league with Juve after Milan got rid of him.
    M
    But do you remember him going down against us, and staying down - when everyone knows he's not injured - and staying there ruining the game until the ball is kicked out. I hate that lark and far too much of it nowadays.

He was loudly booed for the rest of the game :pac:

He gave a masterclass out there again. Possibly even more so than the England match. This time he was put under more pressure, even though it wasn't enough again. Time and time again he was just able to wriggle his way free and nonchalantly play a little pass up to the forwards.

His performances are beginning to remind me more and more of Zidane's in '06. A magical player taking it upon himself to inspire his whole team. Zidane's performance against Brazil in '06 is one of the greatest that I've ever seen. Pirlo will need something along those lines to help Italy beat Spain.

If he manages to do so, and puts in another MOTM performance, then I think he should be a serious contender for the Ballon d'Or. Whether he will or not is another thing. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was overlooked in favour of Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Man of the tournament thus far IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Only 2 men are in it now for Player of the Tournament. Pirlo and Iniesta. Whoever does the better in the final should take the gong.

Such a wondrous player

G.K. wrote: »
    Only 2 men are in it now for Player of the Tournament. Pirlo and Iniesta. Whoever does the better in the final should take the gong.

Hopefully it's not just a case of if Spain wins then give it to Iniesta or vice versa.

Although to be fair they gave Forlán the award in 2010. He was magical as well in that. Could easily have gone to a Spanish player that time. Hopefully they show the same cop on here as well.

I think he has done enough to take it unless someone else puts in a monumental performance in the final, the only player close so far is Iniesta, who had a quiet semi final :)

Hoping Italy win it now.

They have not won it since 1964 or 68 I think.

Hoping Italy win it now.

They have not won it since 1964 or 68 I think.

Would like to see it alright, be reminiscient of 2006 with all the scandal going on and that

kryogen wrote: »

Would like to see it alright, be reminiscient of 2006 with all the scandal going on and that

and 1982 as well.

They really blew it in 2000. Not Italian like.

Should be very interesting game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Pirlo had me gasping in amazement so many times tonight. He just makes it look so easy. Really hope he gets his hands on that trophy Sunday night.

He played a ball tonight around the 78 minute that was thing of beauty.

Perfect curve, pace and area.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Pirlo fully deserves POTT.
    He was robbed in 2006 twice.
    First when Zidane got POTT at the world cup and then when Canavarro got the Balon D'Or the following December.
    Hope he doesn't get mugged again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Has to be in with a great shout for the Ballon D'Or this year. Fulcrum for a league winning team, and imperious for European championships finalist (and possibly winner).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

They said on BBC he hasn't lost a league game since December 2010 :eek:

And I imagine Italy haven't lost in ages either.

Pure class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

He played a ball tonight around the 78 minute that was thing of beauty.

Perfect curve, pace and area.

It was genius. Agonisingly close to the defender but just that little bit too far away from him that he couldn't get it. Beautiful to watch

elefant wrote: »
    They said on BBC he hasn't lost a league game since December 2010 :eek:

He is the Italian Darron Gibson (with nicer hair).

Hard to think that a team that finished last in their group at WC2010 behind the mighty New Zealand may be about to become Kings of Europe.

• Advertisement

Hard to think that a team that finished last in their group at WC2010 behind the mighty New Zealand may be about to become Kings of Europe.

*thinks about this
    puts two and two together
    runs off to back Holland to win the World Cup!*

:D

I'll be keeping an eye out on 101greatgoals.com for any videos of his performance tonight. They put a link up a day or two ago to his individual highlights from the England match.

It's just a joy to watch. I don't think he sprinted once during the whole game. England allowed him to play at his own pace. It was criminal how much time they gave him on the ball. They deserved to be out for that tactic alone.

There's one moment that sums up his performance. It's about 5 and a half minutes in. He goes forward towards the English goal. Parker comes to meet him. He can't even get close enough to put in a tackle. Pirlo swivels and plays a delightful ball out to Abate who is in acres of space. Abate even has time to acknowledge the pass before he gets it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

In fairness it's a different team with a different mentality with Prandelli in charge compared to Lippi.

Much more emphasis on possession and some core elements of the team are coming off of a high from the Juve invincible team this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's not the same team though. Different manager, players, tactics...

kryogen wrote: »
    *thinks about this
    puts two and two together
    runs off to back Holland to win the World Cup!*

:D

Would not be first time either that team does well after previous poor tournement.

Just off top my head

England 0 Points Euro 88. 4th Italia 90
    Denmark 0 points Euro 88. Win 1992 Euros
    France 1 point in Euro 92 & fail qualify for WC94. Win WC 98 and 2000 Euros
    Italy fail get out of Euro 04 group. WC Champs 2006.
    Spain Fail get out of group in 2004. Euro Champs next time around.

Im off to back Ireland for Euro 2016;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement