Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leftover roast beef

Options
  • 25-06-2012 8:43pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We had roast beef last night and have a decent chunk left over. It wasn't great, tbh, ended up fairly tough. Anywho, I have no idea what to do with the leftovers. I don't want to make sandwiches with it, and I was going to make Kroketten, but I don't have a food processor right now. Any suggestions? I work each evening until 6ish, and am knackered when I get home, so it has to be something with minimal fuss, but bearing in mind that the beef is fairly tough. I don't have a slow cooker either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Do you like curry? If so I'd made a really nice Madras with it. If it's tough you're a bit limited with what you can do but a decent curry should make it enjoyable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm fairly intolerant to heat, but I was thinking a mild curry alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm deffo a sandwich man with leftover roast beef. It may not help you in this instance, but for future reference - white bread, real butter, plenty of salt & pepper & drowned in Worcesteshire sauce is just fab.

You could also make a beef broth, sweat finely chopped onions, carrots & celery, add a couple of litres of beef stock, some diced potatoes (1cm cubes), whatever herbs take your fancy (thyme, bay, etc) & bring to the boil. Then set to a simmer. Shred the beef finely & add to the broth & simmer for an hour.

More of a winter warmer, but with the summer as it is - who can tell the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

When I was a child and we had roast beef for Sunday dinner, my mother would make fried beef sandwiches for tea. You make a sandwich with beef and dijon or whatever mustard you like, spread real butter on the outside of the sandwich and fry it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd be making a nice beef pie with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

I'd go with cottage pie myself. Chop the meat up into small enough cubes. Sweat off some finely chopped onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Add a bit of fresh thyme if you have it. Dump the cubed meat back in. Add some red wine and chicken or beef stock. Let it bubble away for an hour or so. This should hopefully help tenderise the tough meat. Shovel the filling into a pie dish. Make some mash. Stick this on top Of the filling and grate over a bit of Parmesan cheese. Stick into a preheated oven at about 180. When the cheese turns brown its ready to go. Serve with peas roasted butternut squash or roasted parsnips. I know you said you come in from work wrecked but it's worth the effort as potentially could last for a couple days and actually improves with time.

Advertisement