Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could you actually kill someone?

• 25-06-2012 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

I was just wondering about this question because it seems to be a big issue for people, especially in this country since Irish people (to me) seem generally placid and non-violent (drunken brawls aside, because drunken stupor doesn't count). I don't mean this in any bad way but in a positive one that should be rather exemplary for many others.

I can safely say I could kill another person, if the situation required it, i.e. they threatened someone else, particularly someone close to me, or myself, and I don't think it's wrong.

Could you actually kill someone? 145 votes

Yes, I could definitely kill someone.
    0%
    No, I would never kill a person.
    76%
    D-Generatestereo_steveFighting Irishweemcdthe_barfly1applehuntergustafotrueKTRICstrobeel diablosdanseoDuggy747IcarasTiggerLux23TomBeckettDarkJagerEGARaniman 111 votes
    I would kill someone ONLY in extreme circumstances, i.e. self defense.
    23%
    RaphaelPushtrakPaparazzocrosstownkBlowfishquickbeamjolterfrisbeefacesheesh[Deleted User]GrimeboxstekTiGeR KiNgSAve SodalisRayMShivers26allthedoylesbrummytomderfderfEathrin 34 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

No

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Depends on the money :cool:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If it was a situation involving defending myself or a loved one (Such as that man who walked in one his 5 y/o daughter being raped) it's hard to say what could happen.

In cold blood though? Not a chance, I'm too much of a wimp.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

sometimes I fantasise about giving someone a good hard kick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

If someone broke into your house and you had a gun would you fire a warning shot into their face?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Not sure what I'd do unless I was in a situation where it was my only choice... but somehow, I don't think I would, even then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I think we're all more than capable of it but because we are civilized rather than savages it's seen as unacceptable. I could definitely see how people might just flip in a fit of rage or in an act of vengeance though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Does Craig Doyle count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Sociapaths are winning at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if anyone harmed my family then i dont know what i would do

• Site Banned Posts: 222 ✭✭bee_keeper

yes

anyone can be driven to take such an action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

After the first punch any fear of harming a person disappears and you really feel empowered. The adrenaline even just from a boxing match is so intense. I can imagine it being so incredibly easy to kill a person if the situation actually required it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

yes, i have killed on more than one occasion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Some people take more effort to kill than others, eh, OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

If someone was definitely about to kill me or one of my family members or one of my very close friends and my only option was to kill them I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I believe I could, I don't think I could kill a child but a grown man and some grown women I could

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

What is that expression again? Genocide them with kindness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The wannabe internet tough men will cream themselves over this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Yes. I was in Starbucks this morning and I asked for a large Pike's Place coffee. The hipster behind the counter, wearing enormous eyeglasses, a dreadful attempt at a moustach, shorts and dress shoes yelled behind himself, without looking, 'VENTE PIKE!'

I could kill. I could definitely kill...

• Advertisement

The wannabe internet tough men will cream themselves over this thread.

I wish I could kill all the people like you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

i have asked this question of myself many times and the answer i have arrived at is yes

i feel i could kill a person if i needed to

however, i dont believe i could do it if i knew the person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

refusing to vote due to possibility of incriminating myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Only in self defense.

I can't understand how people kill as hitmen/serial killers/revenge etc. Just can't get my head around it, if you're stabbing them to death how do you keep going as they cry in pain. Some sick people out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

I do not know how accurate it is but, my internet tells me 3/4 murders are committed by somebody known to the victim... Are you alone in your house? Of course they could be hiding in the bushes...

Only in self defense.

I can't understand how people kill as hitmen/serial killers/revenge etc. Just can't get my head around it, if you're stabbing them to death how do you keep going as they cry in pain. Some sick people out there.

if someone wrongs you enough , revenge is a natural urge , happens all over the world and in large organised numbers in some places , happened here for a period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I was trying to use the Revenue.ie PAYE online site earlier today, and if I ever find the person who designed that poxy site I'll beat them to death with their own shoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Them teenagers in America that bullied the granny on the bus, I'd wear a Hurley on their heads.

Oh and kian Egan. I'd do time for 5 minutes in a room with that prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

My life or theirs the yes
    My life of one of my family then yes
    With a gun from a distance if I was convinced they deserved it then yes
    Up close and personal if I was convinced they deserved it then no

I would however be up for some vigilante style severe beatings for scumbags, pm me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Does Craig Doyle count?

Are you putting up with ordinary broadband? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Only in self defense.

where do I start !! .....

hitmen/women ...kill for the money (or to pay off a debt).

Serial Killers ...in general kill out of a pathological need to cleanse society (they think they are ridding the world of unclean people - prostitutes, junkies, adulterors...sinners in the eyes of the killer....with the exception of those serial killers like manson who killed for pleasure)

those who kill for revenge are often motivated by love/jealousy.

those who kill by stabbing - are usually in a frenzy and adrellanine takes over so the crying/screaming doesn't affect the "killer" ...its when the realisation hits - assuming it all happens at the same time - the coldness of dead eyes, the blood spluttering coughs ...the last gasps of air ...and the stillness !!

if you were to kill someone there are plenty of ways to do it - some virtually untraceable.

PCPhoto wrote: »

Serial Killers ...in general kill out of a pathological need to cleanse society (they think they are ridding the world of unclean people - prostitutes, junkies, adulterors...sinners in the eyes of the killer....with the exception of those serial killers like manson who killed for pleasure)

those who kill by stabbing - are usually in a frenzy and adrellanine takes over so the crying/screaming doesn't affect the "killer" ...its when the realisation hits - assuming it all happens at the same time - the coldness of dead eyes, the blood spluttering coughs ...the last gasps of air ...and the stillness !!

if you were to kill someone there are plenty of ways to do it - some virtually untraceable.
    Anything you say can and will be used in court. Mind your head and get in the back of the squad car PCPhoto!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

If someone handed me a gun and asked me to kill someone I didn't like without the fear of punishment, I doubt I would be able to.

In a situation where it me or them, I'd like to think I could do what was necessary. I Was working in a shop once and we got robbed at knife point. Myself and the other girl that was working just froze so if they went to stab me then, I doubt I would/could of done anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I wouldn't like to but who knows how someone is going to react at 2am & some scumbag is breaking into their house?
    Even if you didn't have a gun to let off a warning shot & scare them away, who's to say you don't clobber them with a sweeping brush & you just happen to hit their head at a certain angle & before you know it they're dead.

As I said I honestly wouldn't like to, but it would be in self defence if it did happen.

i would have thought most murderers do not get away with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I met a man in Cambodia around 10yrs back,myself and my friend were traveling there and we got chatting to him.
    He was 11 when the Khmer Rouge came to power,dodged a few executions himself through sheer luck,had to partake in the killing of innocent civilians through force.
    His family was wiped out,his mother died in his arms and he slept with the corpse before she was whisked away from him without a burial.
    After the Khmer Rouge were defeated he went back to his village near Battambang and they rounded up the leaders of the local Khmer rouge,he killed six of them,they stumbled upon a death cave shortly after and he found the corpse of his dead pregnant sister.
    After this he was conscripted into the Cambodian army to lay landmines for the next 5 yrs and fight against whatever they told him to do.
    Today I still keep contact with him,email and facebook and he has dedicated his life now to telling the truth of what happened and trying to educate the young to never let this happen again.
    The closest I have come to knowing someone who has killed and he is still haunted by it,so no I would only kill in extreme circumstances self defence etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Sappa wrote: »
    I met a man in Cambodia around 10yrs back,myself and my friend were traveling there and we got chatting to him.
    He was 11 when the Khmer Rouge came to power,dodged a few executions himself through sheer luck,had to partake in the killing of innocent civilians through force.
    His family was wiped out,his mother died in his arms and he slept with the corpse before she was whisked away from him without a burial.
    After the Khmer Rouge were defeated he went back to his village near Battambang and they rounded up the leaders of the local Khmer rouge,he killed six of them,they stumbled upon a death cave shortly after and he found the corpse of his dead pregnant sister.
    After this he was conscripted into the Cambodian army to lay landmines for the next 5 yrs and fight against whatever they told him to do.
    Today I still keep contact with him,email and facebook and he has dedicated his life now to telling the truth of what happened and trying to educate the young to never let this happen again.
    The closest I have come to knowing someone who has killed and he is still haunted by it,so no I would only kill in extreme circumstances self defence etc.

There's a movie in that story!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

No i wouldnt go out of my way to kill someone,having that memory would not do me good,or a criminal record for that matter,having said that in self defence i would stab the **** out of someone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

If it involved something to do with my family ie my daughter
    yes I would kill someone
    If someone done something to my daughter or gf or family member that would mentally scar them for life or even physically hurt them then I would kill them dunno bout with a weapon but with my own hands yes defiantly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I wouldnt go out of my way to do it though,and i think if this is what the thread suggests then a definate big fat NO.

Killing is wrong,even if you get off on manslaughter you have a record for the rest of your life,and it will follow you around to bite you on the arse,not to mention the mental scarring of actually killing someone..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

As far as we know Manson has never killed anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yes. Its within everyone to kill another human. It would probably haunt me till I die though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

In the case of a loved one's safety, without question.

I'll end your existence if me or mine is/are threatened and I'll go to jail with a big smile on my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Pantsface wrote: »
    sometimes I fantasise about giving someone a good hard kick

in the pants/face?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

does HECCCCKKTHORRRRRR HI count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Pushtrak wrote: »
    What is that expression again? Genocide them with kindness?
    #
    Jews say it best,
    When Jews say nothing at all.
    #

© Ronan "Hitler" Keating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

In those Walter Mitty type daydreams I see myself as a cold-blooded assassin for hire. Presidents, dictators, celebrities all clinically dispatched without emotion.

In real-life, no. However if history has taught us anything, it is that with the right propaganda most humans can be easily persuaded to murder their fellow man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

If I woke up in the middle of the night and some scumbag was breaking in, I would take a hammer to his face, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

nah..
    i'd do what i could to defend myself in a fight or something but i wouldn't intentionally try to kill the person just cause we're having a little fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

If I woke up in the middle of the night and some scumbag was breaking in, I would take a hammer to his face, no problem.
    If you killed him with a single (or a few) blows whilst defending yourself is one thing.

The question is, if you knocked him out, would you continue to strike him until he stopped breathing??

• Advertisement
Advertisement