Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could you actually kill someone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    If you killed him with a single (or a few) blows whilst defending yourself is one thing.

The question is, if you knocked him out, would you continue to strike him until he stopped breathing??

No I wouldn't try to kill him, I just wouldn't hold back on my first swing, whether it kills him or not. I would try to incapacitate him so I could call the police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I would kill someone ONLY in extreme circumstances, i.e. self defense.
    I don't think I could even if I tried. Even in a self defense . I don't know though possibly if it was a life or death situation.
    I'm more likely to try and flee or just find a way not to kill them but be able to flee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'd have said that no, I could never kill someone, until I read a disturbing news article last month.

Basically, a 23yr old father in the USA heard his 5yr old daughter screaming for him from outside their home and ran to her, to find that she was being raped by one of the fathers employees. The father was overcome by blind rage and beat the shít out of the paedophile, and accidentally killed him in the process.

I can totally see how anyone would react like this, I think he was totally justified in his actions and I think most people would react in the same way if it happened to them.

So yeah, in circumstances like that I can totally see myself killing someone.

If it were a case of just randomly going out and murdering someone I didn't like, then no. I wouldn't wish harm even on the few people I really hate, and I would never physically hurt them either. I just couldn't.

• Site Banned Posts: 222 ✭✭bee_keeper

No, I would never kill a person.
    Plenty of people deserve to die and the above was one of them , luckily the judge in that case saw sense and freed the man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

If you what to defend yourself with a knife or a gun you must be able to kill the threat. None of this I'll injure their limbs because that is consider a bad pratice as the threat could come back and kill you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

If I needed to but hopefully it'll never have to come to that because I dont know if your life would ever be the same knowing you killed another person, whatever the reason. But you never know what life could bring, best not think about these things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

I'd do it for free.

I've done alot more for alot less.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I've tried a few times, but I missed. Not sure if that counts as 'could', because eventually I'll get a hit if I get enough chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Yes, I am sure I could. You would be surprised what people can do when pushed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Nobody knows

What are you going to do when you wake up and a scumbag is in your house?

Fact is nobody knows
    You can say you'll hammer them but you might freeze
    You can see you'll freeze but if your children are threatened your adrenaline may kick in and you'll do something you didn't think you could. Might be a small slight person but with the adrenaline you might win any struggle.
    I'm reminded of people who lift cars off people who are trapped underneath, incredible what can be done under stress

It's grand to talk but until you are there you don't know

Why does it have to be a scumbag in your house?

Why cant you dispose of someone Dexter style?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I wouldn't cast a second thought.

Somebody who would cause serious damage to mine, all guns blazing.

They'd have to peel me off with paint stripper.

kryogen wrote: »
    Why cant you dispose of someone Dexter style?

Gonna clean up Waterford? :cool:

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Gonna clean up Waterford? :cool:

Jesus gimme a chance!

Have to start smaller then that I'd say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭stek

Remotely I could possibly do it, ie. unmanned drone or long range sniper situation. but hand to hand,ie. as some one mentioned, hammer to the face, no way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I'd kill someone.

I'd kill the f*ck out of them.

USA! USA! USA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Any type of vermin scumbag who robs, assaults, intimidates for a living or gets a kick out of terrorizing innocent, vulnerable people ..... you know your typical anti social skanger with tens upon tens of convictions.....

I probably would If I could get away with it and thought I would be mentally strong enough ... but I doubt I'd be able to live with such mental images or secrets like that.

I think those who don't respect life don't deserve one.

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Any type of vermin scumbag who robs, assaults, intimidates for a living or gets a kick out of terrorizing innocent, vulnerable people ..... you know your typical anti social skanger with tens upon tens of convictions.....

I probably would If I could get away with it

Wrong my friend, you won't get away with it

There was a man in Mayo who killed a thief with over 80 convictions and got jailed because the judge instructed the jury they could not use not guilty
    The judges side with the rich and powerful. No convictions from the Mahon tribunal but if you defend your home they'll nail ya

These boyos with criminal records know more about the law then you will ever know, well they've been in court countless times

They know about legal aid, if you are working you'll be spending your savings on solicitors and barristers.

If you kill the scumbag the state will prosecute you and you'll do more time then the boyo with 100 convictions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Wrong my friend, you won't get away with it

There was a man in Mayo who killed a thief with over 80 convictions and got jailed because the judge instructed the jury they could not use not guilty
    The judges side with the rich and powerful. No convictions from the Mahon tribunal but if you defend your home they'll nail ya

These boyos with criminal records know more about the law then you will ever know, well they've been in court countless times

They know about legal aid, if you are working you'll be spending your savings on solicitors and barristers.

If you kill the scumbag the state will prosecute you and you'll do more time then the boyo with 100 convictions

only if you get caught

True, talk to the Dexter lad from Waterford for tips ^^^

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Been robbed 3 times in the last year. I'd take one of those f~~~res with me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Helix wrote: »
    only if you get caught

Is that the Nally case. Heard the neighbours are looking out for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Yes, without hesitation, if somebody seriously hurt/abused my children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I voted no, because in any situation where I had control of myself and my emotions, I could not possibly kill somebody.

However, I think the answer is probably yes for most, if not all, people in extreme situations. There are psychological mechanisms and instincts which kick in during times of extreme duress which are not governed by rational thought. This is the reason why crimes of passion are dealt with less harshly than those which are pre-meditated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

In a heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

If I had to defend myself then yes I would and without hesitation. How I would live with it thereafter I don't know, I think you would have to feel some remorse no matter how justified you were but the reality if it comes down to a choice between me and him/her/them then I am choosing me all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Given the hours I've put in on PC games I'm gonna be sorely disappointed if I couldn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭rn

I could not rule out the possibility that a situation would arise that requires that I would have to kill someone. But it would scar me for the rest of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

I wouldn't like to but who knows how someone is going to react at 2am & some scumbag is breaking into their house?
    Even if you didn't have a gun to let off a warning shot & scare them away, who's to say you don't clobber them with a sweeping brush & you just happen to hit their head at a certain angle & before you know it they're dead.

As I said I honestly wouldn't like to, but it would be in self defence if it did happen.

I agree with you and I think that in cases like that you should have the right to defend yourself/ your family with every means possible. It makes me sick when you hear some nonsense EU consideration of the criminal's side and people using self-defence being tried for merely defending themselves. I think if you trespass the law and someone feels threatened they should be allowed to use violent means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I could kill my family. They bug me sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

If someone comes into my house at night looking to steal/rape/kill me or anyone from my family then sorry, but your life is forfeit.

There was once when i saw two guys sneaking around the garden in balaclavas and i ran, got the shotgun, and burst out the door.

They ran before i could get a bead on them, but they haven't been back anyway.

Word spreads fast in knackerland apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'll kill you all if I have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I was just wondering about this question because it seems to be a big issue for people, especially in this country since Irish people (to me) seem generally placid and non-violent (drunken brawls aside, because drunken stupor doesn't count). I don't mean this in any bad way but in a positive one that should be rather exemplary for many others.

I can safely say I could kill another person, if the situation required it, i.e. they threatened someone else, particularly someone close to me, or myself, and I don't think it's wrong.
    Maybe, would you like to volunteer as my first victim :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Burt Lancaster

I've thought about doing it a few times, the only thing that stopped me each time were the possible repercussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

If someone came into my cell and stole my stuff, then yes, I could definitely kill again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Maybe, would you like to volunteer as my first victim :)

To rob me, so I can kill you? Ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭diabloro

Everybody is capable of killing, It just depends on the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Anyone watch lifers last night on ch4?

one guy murdered his wife basicly because she told him she didn't love him anymore, he put it down to a fit of rage.another guy killed his best friend when his friend measured out the wrong amount of drugs he was buying from him.he said he didn't know what came over him.
    .both people never did anything in the way of crimes before that.
    If the circumstances are right or wrong as the case maybe, anyone could do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Probably could in an apocalyptic, world war, guerrilla warfare, jungle survival type situation, or if we ever returned to survival of the fittest, that's the way we are supposed to be. But in current circumstances I couldn't, I'd be riddled with guilt until it killed me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Anyone can and will kill someone if they are put in the right circumstance. This is basic survival instinct backed up with 1000s of years of evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

If someone killed my son in front of me Im sure I would be able to contain myself and control my emotions

Ya right

I think most people could kill under certain circumstances

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Burt Lancaster

If you have not thought of genuinely killing anyone, then it’s more a case of having being fortunate enough so far in life not to have encountered people whose actions towards you would genuinely justify killing them, and all that stops you are the potential repercussions. Count your blessings if you have not met such people yet. They are out there, especially in politics and the workplace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

i could
    if they pissed me off to a point where id see red ha
    but in self defence or if anyone touched my family or gf then ya i would no problem
    other then that nope

i think everyone is capable of killing at a certain point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I'm beginning to think that this thread is more about putting out feelers for the establishment of a vigilante death squad; the purpose of which is the threshing of so-called 'civilised' society, to finally rid ourselves of human chaff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

I'm beginning to think that this thread is more about putting out feelers for the establishment of a vigilante death squad; the purpose of which is the threshing of so-called 'civilised' society, to finally rid ourselves of human chaff.

In that case
    show me the money il kill who ever ya want ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Could you actually kill someone?
    Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

People kill for three main reasons, aside from accidental. I like to call them the three Fs;

Fear: Killing an intruder, war etc. Any situation where it's them or you.
    Food: Cannibalism - Not very common
    Fun: Serial killers

Just thought of another one, and I can make it fit my F theory!

Fury: Revenge killing, crime of passion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭German pointer

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    People kill for three main reasons, aside from accidental. I like to call them the three Fs;

Fear: Killing an intruder, war etc. Any situation where it's them or you.
    Food: Cannibalism - Not very common
    Fun: Serial killers

Just thought of another one, and I can make it fit my F theory!

Fury: Revenge killing, crime of passion

What about GREED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

What about GREED
    Damm you :mad:

Don't mess with my Four F Theory!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭terryduff12

yes indeed

• Advertisement
Advertisement