Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Hand History

Options
  • 25-06-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Just happened to be looking through RTE player and saw this interview with Nora Connolly O Brien.
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=3288096

Its amazing when you can get first hand accounts of what people were really like from those that knew them best. The resemblance between them is also amazing, she is the spit of her father, You can just imagine him having many of the same facial expressions she has during the interview. Found this fascinating.

Does anyone have any other similar first hand accounts of what other famous historical figures were really like behind closed doors, say Michael Collins for example.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cormacocomhrai

I've nothing really like that but I have been fortunate to meet some people with incredible stories of their own. A Polish woman who's mother was helped by a German officer, another Pole who heard Hitler speak and whose father emigrated to America after the war. He was very interesting. I also eavesdropped on a conversation where a woman said "Doctor Mengele saved my mother's life". She seemed willing to talk about it until being interrupted by an assinine comment that ended the conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

There's the documentary - The Struggle, presented by Manchàn Mangan about the eventful history of the house that was once his family's home and which is now the French Embassy in Dublin -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAxDtQV_J-A (this is only the introduction, there are further episodes that follow)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Artur.PL

My grandfather told me the story that during WW2 he was a forced labourer in some village in Germany. He said that in the last days of the war all labours from the village were gathered in one place and firing squad (I think it was firing squad- my grandfther said "soldiers") came into. Soldiers were waiting in front of them ready to fire, probably for more labourers, when suddenly a soldier on the motorbike came and said something to the commander of that squad. In one second they vanished and after short time Russian Army entered the village.

Advertisement