Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What dictator would you like to Rule Ireland?

• 25-06-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

So lads. We need a new dictator for Ireland. I cant see any of our parties getting us back on our feet. We need some authoritarian regime I think. Look at the Chinese. They are doing great because they have motivated leaders. Who is your favourite dictator and why?

I am a big fan of Vladamir Putin. I like his style. Apparently he can walk on water. I know because I saw it on youtube.

Does anybody think a dictatorship could make things right again. One who crushed the opposition. The trade unions. The bankers. I am pretty sure that we only live in a pseudo democracy anyway with huge levels of corruption.

Who do you think would win a fight? Adolf Hitler or Kim jung il?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Joseph Stalin, mostly because I hate farmers.

• Site Banned Posts: 222 ✭✭bee_keeper

michael o leary for the righties

vincent browne for the lefties

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dilapidating

Admiral General Aladeen.
    Sure why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Gok Wan. We could pretend we are thin (like we pretended we were rich.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

What's wrong with Endas style of promising and not delivering? Isn't it the same thing in a way all cut and giving less to the people ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Vlad the Impaler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The Benevolent General Krull.

All hail Krull, and his glorious new regime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Éamon de Valera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Michael O'Leary with a cabinet of
    Dara O'Briain
    The crew of Apres Match
    and Mario Rosenstock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Bob Geldof. We need to call his bluff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

bee_keeper wrote: »
    michael o leary for the righties

vincent browne for the lefties

Let them have a duopoly, butter vouchers one year and grants for cars the next, it'll mental but it could be fun, let's find a way for Ming Flanagan to be involved too, and Ian Paisley. Excellent. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Mussolini. If he could make the trains run on time in Italy, he can surely sort out the buses here.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Sky King wrote: »
    The Benevolent General Krull.

All hail Krull, and his glorious new regime!

Sincerely, little girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Idi Amin.

Anyone he eats their political opponents, challenges the Queen of England to a fist fight and declares war simultaneously on the US and Russia gets my vote.

I cant imagine Sarkozy every trying to ruffle the hair of the last king of Scotland.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Cúchulainn or Fidel Castro, I'm torn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

Ireland already has a dictatorship controlling it. It is called the Roman Catholic Church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Angela Merkel ..... oops, we already have her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'd have to say Hitler, sure who wouldn't want to be told what to do by a power hungry German chancellor :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 indianalien

Maybe we should call in Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow. Anyone ever been to Turkmenistan. I head it is a ****ed up place!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Me!

*If you don't thank this post, you'll be first against the wall;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Ireland already has a dictatorship controlling it. It is called the Roman Catholic Church.

Change the record.

KTRIC wrote: »
    I'd have to say Hitler, sure who wouldn't want to be told what to do by a power hungry German chancellor :rolleyes:

But, em, economics rabble............Oh noes :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

djk1000 wrote: »
    Change the record.

Or wax cylinder, as the case may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Boombastic wrote: »
    Cúchulainn or Fidel Castro, I'm torn.

ah here c'mon now, less of that talk, you're going to upset all the students and crusties who still think of ol' Fidel as a benevolent freedom fighter.

As for dictators, from what I gather they have some spare ones in the Middle East we can get for cheap

wexie wrote: »
    ah here c'mon now, less of that talk, you're going to upset all the students and crusties who still think of ol' Fidel as a benevolent freedom fighter.

As for dictators, from what I gather they have some spare ones in the Middle East we can get for cheap

Time for some damage limitation : I thought the thread title said dickhead:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

A dictator like Tito, but less communist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Lee from Blue, or even Bagpuss. Sure either way it's only going one way anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

books?id=UPnuAAAACAAJ&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&imgtk=AFLRE72kixnfCpK2Nw-JWCONoQLHm71TSQw9ktB1RyvVm-KPa8MMVEsknbwtvRbd0hNANPLDj1imKD1mzUEIl2eFDY9zLRGPKDuikLaE8g6MEGioHJ_4LRipmFgqeQFZbDLOMEXzm6sq

Think this guy is as good as any, couldn't do much worse than what we have. Would also appeal to some of our Northern brethren

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Not in any real sense, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Amin or Bokassa. Some high quality dictatorshipin' there.

Bokassa was insane, as was Amin, but IIRC Bokassa's father, a chief, was killed by the French, yet he for some reason idolized the French. He also declared himself emperor, called himself Napoleon, his wife took the name Josephine and he used to eat people. Kept heads in the freezers of his now crumbling palaces.

Amin, equally as insane was an officer in the British army. The British (who were the masters of Imperialism) looked for men like Amin, Africans, big and tall, not very intelligent to become their officers because then resentment would be felt towards the African officers rather than the British officers by the African rank and file as well as the African civilians. At the suggestion of an officer he was prompted to open a bank account with £5 in it. A few hours later his account was overdrawn and he was wearing an expensive suit and driving a convertible. He converted to Islam to forge an alliance with Gaddafi. He wrote nearly unintelligible letters to the Queen offering to sort out the IRA problem. The movie gets it's title because of the reception he got when he visited Scotland and he was convinced the Scottish wanted him as their monarch.

Dictators are all mad. Ceausescu, who was an ally of the Americans because he was not friendly to Moscow used to have polystyrene fruit and vegetables distributed around Romania to make it appear that the country was fertile and abundant. It was the West (not Adam West) who allowed and even supported many of these dictators initially.

But Stalin was probably the worst of all dictators of the 20th century but there have been many many others such as Timur the Lame, Ivan the terrible who raped and tortured peoples, and the Khans who aren't as well known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Does Genghis Khan count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I thought we were already ruled by dictators.

Regardless how we vote; the wining point of view is considered " wrong" & we are told to vote again.

Our elected councillers are only given permission to ask a maximum of one question per meeting each ; at each monthly meeting. This excludes the summer; when we're not represented because they're all on holidays .

Concepts like " homeowners tax" which are not wanted by 3 in 4 homes ( a majority) are brought in against the peoples wills & laws are changed to allow this to happen.

Hardly a paradigm of democracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭UserName 217

Jimmy Carr ... we might only have to pay 1% tax then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Pol Pot! At this stage it is probably best to do go the Khmer Rouge way and start afresh at year 1 with a brave new beginning. Anyone wearing hipster skinny jeans, goth make up, dort accents, Facebook accounts, mohair suits, developers, political party membership, and especially those who voted for independants would have to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Mao. Owned 900 million slaves at one point. Killed up to 70 million through starvation, overwork and violence, then dumped much of their culture while he denied himself no extravagance. Idolised by the very people he treated like chattels, and completely hoodwinked the West. Made Stalin and Hitler look like big softies. If you've got to have a dictator, you might as well go with the twentieth century's biggest backstard. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Not really a dictator so much but I'd have Napoleon if I was forced to choose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Hitler & Mussolini

Roads around here a disgrace and Hitler was a great man for building roads

Mussolini will kick CIE and get the trains to run on time

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

^ Nah, he'll just take credit for other people's work.
    http://www.snopes.com/history/govern/trains.asp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Vespasian the Roman dictator emperor. Big into the horses, havin' the craic and building stuff.

Fancy a nudder go at the property boom? Want something to do on the weekends? Vote Vespasian no.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Sadam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

toughy.

i like a bit of dominatrix but, well, i kinda like the illusion of 'freedom' too.

what kinda whip we talkin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Russel Brand or Gay Byrne make good rulers otherwise hmmm I don't think i'd want a dictator to rule Ireland. No communism here please we're Irish!
    Though Clinton or Obama be my choice or else Mary Harney or Enda. I am happy enough that he is our taoiseach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

I thought we were already ruled by dictators.

Regardless how we vote; the wining point of view is considered " wrong" & we are told to vote again.

Our elected councillers are only given permission to ask a maximum of one question per meeting each ; at each monthly meeting. This excludes the summer; when we're not represented because they're all on holidays .

Concepts like " homeowners tax" which are not wanted by 3 in 4 homes ( a majority) are brought in against the peoples wills & laws are changed to allow this to happen.

Hardly a paradigm of democracy.

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Nelson Mandela.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Nelson Mandela.

He'd hate the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Girolamo Savonarola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Me obviously, and I promise you all a better life (for those who please me) a short life for those who do not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Charlie Chaplin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Nicolae Ceausescu

• Advertisement
Advertisement