Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household and Water Tax Public Meeting Rathangan

Options
  • 25-06-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

There will be a Public Information Meeting in Rathangan Community Centre this Thursday 28th @ 8pm,it is being organised by the Anti Household Charge Campaign,and everyone is welcome,There will be speakers available to answer any Questions or concerns you may have,Clare Daly TD will be speaking on behalf of the campaign,,,come along and educate yourself on this Issue,,,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've told other people in other areas my problem with this campaign - linking household charges and water charges is a mistake.

I am totally opposed to household charges (I have refused to pay the alleged charge that I have yet to receive a bill for) as it is a regressive tax and I won't pay ground rent - I own my property, I don't rent it.

However, I am completely in favour of water charges as long as they are equitable. I will not pay €800 over x years for installation of a meter that would cost €40 plus a max €200 up front to a local plumber (are you listening Hogan? I will support local business to install it so I don't need a loan from the pension reserve!) But the principle of paying for water is sound - clean water is not free and pay by use is not unreasonable.

I refused to attend the Maynooth meetings as they link the two issues. Unlink them and the anti-household charge campaign will have my full support.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

I will not be attending any anti household charge meetings as i have done my civic duty as i have done all my life and payed my taxes. The leader of this campaign Joe Higgins ran a similar campaign some years ago against the refuse charges in Dublin and swore he would rot in prison sooner than pay. He was eventually given a prison sentence for non payment but after been taken to prison his fine was payed for him and he now pays his refuse charges. Will someone ask Miss Daley why she did not condemn he "friend" Mick Wallace for cheating the tax payer out of millions of Euro while she has the cheek to campaign against a €100 household charge

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

This tread is to inform people of the public meeting,,,not to discuss the merits or not of paying or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed, keep it on topic folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

The problem with "public meetings" is they will give a very one sided view of the situation.

SF are one of the main anti charge groups, yet in Northern Ireland they have no problems with it and recently increased it.

As a nation we are under taxed and far too many people pay no tax at all yet want everything from nice public parks to fully stocked libraries, clean streets and working street lighting.

Where is the money for all this to come from - you can't get any more from business as they pay a huge amount in rates & water charges. Central government can't add to it either unless you want higher personal taxes - but that would be unfair becasue someone living in a very large house would be paying the same as someone in a small apartment.

Paying a charge with different levels depending on your means is by a long long way the fairest way - I expect that I will at some stage be paying €800-€1000 per year in a household charge and would also expect that someone without my lifestyle would be paying less than €200.

the funny thing is, I don't use the library nor do I use childrens pay areas, but as I earn a good wage, i have no issue in subsidising the charge for those who earn a lot less.

• Advertisement
Advertisement