Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency services + automatic gates

Options
  • 25-06-2012 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭

Just something that has puzzled me .
    How do the emergency services such as the fire brigade, gards or ambulance gain access to a house with closed automatic gates ? Say someone is injured after some bizzar accident , how would they get in to help them ????

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

On gated communities they are given keys or fobs. On a normal house etc usually someone had called them anyway so they would have access.With emergency services the first priority is always life..l

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

But say you were on the floor loosing a lot of blood and you blacked out after calling them and couldn't let them in. How would try go about doing it? Ram them and hope for the best?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Like I said. Life comes first. They are gonna have to get in the front door as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Just something that has puzzled me .
    How do the emergency services such as the fire brigade, gards or ambulance gain access to a house with closed automatic gates ? Say someone is injured after some bizzar accident , how would they get in to help them ????

They would have to get in some way, jaws of life if needs be :D

Just dawned on me that most openers have a manual release with a fairly basic key ..... I'd say they have a one for all master key..... maybe.....

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Like I said. Life comes first. They are gonna have to get in the front door as well.
    Not trying to argue but aren't all these systems supposedly designed to keep people out .... Is there no quick standard method like a master keypad code or RF fob code

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Not trying to argue but aren't all these systems supposedly designed to keep people out .... Is there no quick standard method like a master keypad code or RF fob code

No. Nearly all gates are easy enough to get over/around. They're generally there to make it difficult to get in. In reality the ES will probably use a ladder to get over the gate and then get entry to the premises. From there they'll open it the usual way via the intercom phone.

Like I said for apartment complexes etc they are given fobs or codes. But for private ,individual homs they would not. Again life comes first, they will do whatever it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭davetherave

Could hop over it if it is not too high. If it is an apartment complex then just buzz everybody until someone answers and lets them in. Or if there is a fire tender lying idle just go through the gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

KoolKid wrote: »
    Like I said for apartment complexes etc they are given fobs or codes. But for private ,individual homs they would not. Again life comes first, they will do whatever it takes.

Not true, not given fobs or codes...
    Consaw usually the best option

• Advertisement

Would it not be easier to unscrew the underground motors lids and remove the linking bar with a claw hammer? Tried it on the neighbours ! Got in in 45 seconds!!!

Or would removing the keypad and joining the N/O wires not be easier and cheaper then destroying the gates

Not true, not given fobs or codes...
    Consaw usually the best option

On many sites we have done we have been asked to set up access group for emergency services with access everywhere privileges.
    I guess it's up to different management companies how they handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

Hope I am posting in the right place?
    Please move if necessary

Looking to provide a keypad and some form of eletronic/electric lock on a uPVC front door.
    At the moment, the outside handle is a dummy. The door is locked when you pull it closed. The multi-point lock is not engaged until you lift the handle and turn the key.
    Have looked at an electro-magnetic lock at the top of the door. Just wonder what an insurance company would think of it if they wanted a multi-point locking system on all external doors.

Looking for recommedations please !

Maglocks & keypads are not secure. They are used more for convenience than anything else. I ,for one, wouldn't be going out & leaving an empty house just secured by a maglock or some other electronic lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Mag lock on a pvc door is not a good idea, too much flex in the pvc door. You'll may also reduce the head height clearance by placing a mag on top, could be dangerous
    Simon Voss have a range of euro cylinders that may work

Advertisement