Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what are people's thoughts

• 25-06-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

wondering on advice and general thoughts on this:

have an 06 e90 318i and its starting to get high on miles. my next job will involve a lot of driving (not exactly city per se), but i wouldnt want to add much more miles to the car, as it has started having little niggly things, usually associated with high mileage.

i bought it for 9k about 11 months ago, and getting the nct done next week, its an SE spec - with lights package.

i dont know exactly how much its worth now, but it has 118k miles (190k kilometres - genuine services - was a fleet car up to 3 years ago, and been owned by the same person for 2 years before me.

second is i have a toyota yaris 1.0 2000 (japan built) terra model, 5 door. bought it a year ago exactly for 2300 euros. my wife uses this, but she is now doing a lot more driving on the m50, and im a bit uncomfortable with such a small light car going at 100-120 and it does use a bit of petrol then - which might be minimised with a slightly larger engine.

on both, road tax doesnt bother me as much - i wouldnt want to be paying more than 1200 for both included in that price though.

therefore, we are both looking for cars, herself would love a 1 series or alternatively a golf, and the biggest question of all is:

what can i get if i have had a 3 series already? (ive had the e36, e46 and now the e90).

we both want to stay at 4-5 doors, and the budget is trading in both cars, with maybe 1-2k cash on top depending on what is available.

what are people's suggestions in what we could get, which would be reliable and useful, while at the same time fun, like the e90 was?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

Spipov wrote: »

have an 06 e90 318i and its starting to get high on miles................ but it has 118k miles (190k kilometres - genuine services - was a fleet car up to 3 years ago, and been owned by the same person for 2 years before me...................... and the budget is trading in both cars, with maybe 1-2k cash on top depending on what is available...............

You won't see much of an upgrade trading in a 318i on that budget unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

im not necessarily looking for an upgrade to be fair, im just wondering whats out there that might be equivalent, even though ive stuck to bmws for a long time, im just now thinking about having 2 cars that are solid enough, and would be ok to use - the mileage on the e90 worries me as itll have next to no value if i use it next year and after im done. im also conscious that itll need a lot of things done then during that year. if the need for the cost arises, i dont mind doing it, but i cannot afford to worry if the car is going to work the next or not, and if ill have to miss work (which i cant) and i wouldnt be able to go around without a car.

ideally i dont want to have a boring car, but id still like something newish as in not an old dated model car (Say for example a 3 series in 2004 would be old model, but 2005 would be new model).

the wife would need something in that class of car, golf/1 series/focus/a3 or alternatively an SUV / 4x4 ? or something in that size like a rav4/tucson or equivalent thats not too old.

Let me phrase it another way, you'll be limited to options with screen prices of €8000 ish me thinks.

i think you are right, at least on the bmw being traded in.

how about this:

trading in both cars would net how much?and from that - would it be possible to get 2 cars, say a 1 series and something else?

Trading them both in would be a not great idea. If the Yaris is decent it will fly as a private sale, the BMW would be hard to shift I imagine but you should see perhaps €7000 for it privately :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭thom119

I'm no expert but selling both cars privately would be your best bet

That way if you find a car in a garage you'll be in a better position to bargain, you'll also have the option of buying privately

both make sense about the private thing, but we both would need the cars as daily runners, and would find it hard to be without a car to get to work.

last time i sold privately, by god, it was like climbing a mountain with the stupid stuff and some trying there pure dumb luck and wasting time.

If your good lady wants a 1 series presuambly you are happy enough to drive something in the €3000 to €4000 (max) range? Otherwise I don't see how ye are going to manage changing both cars on the budget mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Any garage will have to make money from the deal. Trading in two cars (assuming a garage will take them) means that they will give you less for them in order to still make money from the deal.

The best way to go about imo would be to sell the Yaris privately, they are easy to sell and still fetch decent money, you may well get around €1800 for it. I'd then put the €1800 or so with the €1k/2k cash you were willing to spend and trade the 3 Series in for something else.

bazz26 wrote: »
    ......... I'd then put the €1800 or so with the €1k/2k cash you were willing to spend and trade the 3 Series in for something else.

They want to replace both cars though :)

• Advertisement

Ah right. Still think they will do better by selling the Yaris privately though.

Ah right. Still think they will do better by selling the Yaris privately though.

id say thats a definite yes to that anyway...

normally doesnt make sense selling a yaris to a dealer as there are so many privately. would make nothing out of that sale/trade in.

however, would have to identify something in the meantime, which would be affordable with the yaris + 1 or 2 k.

a real catch-22 unless its so late i cant think properly.

how would a 1 series + a golf/a3 fit in that scenario?

........... which would be affordable with the yaris + 1 or 2 k.........

Not a 1 series anyway so it'll be your new yoke :)
    €3000 will get you lots of car if you go old enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

My thoughts are mainly of cake and Georgia Salpa

RoverJames wrote: »
    Not a 1 series anyway so it'll be your new yoke :)
    €3000 will get you lots of car if you go old enough.

i dont mind having a 1 series myself and she can use that when she wants.

then we'd need a second car, which could be anything really - either golf / a3 / or a SUV/4x4 ?

Well the best thing might be to spend the bulk of the available funds on the 1 series and get the likes of this to replace the Yaris ...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubishi/Lancer/201224208645956/advert?channel=CARS

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

Not the most exciting of cars but much better value than a Golf and if you got €1500+ for the Yaris it would be a cheap replacement :) At least half the price of a 2005 A3, you can't have it all :pac:

Well the best thing might be to spend the bulk of the available funds on the 1 series and get the likes of this to replace the Yaris ...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubishi/Lancer/201224208645956/advert?channel=CARS

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

Not the most exciting of cars but much better value than a Golf and if you got €1500+ for the Yaris it would be a cheap replacement :) At least half the price of a 2005 A3, you can't have it all :pac:

my dad has that. 4 words about it.its pretty bloody awful.

In what way?
    Compared to a Yaris it's a fine car imo. In saying that I wouldn't fancy driving it myself, wouldn't fancy a 1 series or an A3 either though.

Trying to replace a high mileage 2006 318i and a 00 Yaris with a 1 series and an A3/Golf/SUV won't be at all easy with a budget of 2 * €1/€2k :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

In what way?
    Compared to a Yaris it's a fine car imo. In saying that I wouldn't fancy driving it myself, wouldn't fancy a 1 series or an A3 either though.

Trying to replace a high mileage 2006 318i and a 00 Yaris with a 1 series and an A3/Golf/SUV won't be at all easy with a budget of 2 * €1/€2k :)

I think impossibru is the word you are looking for there James :pac:

• Advertisement

In what way?

no poke, high revs to get anything done. 1.3 is not enough.

fair enough, im just trying to find the best options to be honest. ill keep thinking about this as the issues arent going to go away.

honda accord?

A 1.6 Golf/A3 will be no better performance wise and cost more to buy.

What about a Mazda 6 petrol?

A 1.6 Golf/A3 will be no better performance wise and cost more to buy.

What about a Mazda 6 petrol?

yep thats a definite option. how about honda accords?

had a good think about this.

at the moment itll be foolish changing both cars, as we're going to have bills for more things which im sure will come.

we've ended up compromising that we need to change the Yaris, as i am not comfortable with herself going up and down the m50 everyday in a yaris.

so we need to find something for her, on a budget of Yaris + 1000 - 1500 euros (As i need to budget the rest for tax/checking the car/service/whatever more insurance needed on top of the yaris.

The Heart says: Golf 2004+ / focus 2005+/ Rav4 2001+ / unsure what else

The Head / Pocket says: Whatever is around that price that is reliable, not french / italian and above 2002.... and can be had for less than 3000.

Would welcome suggestions and links maybe. ill get going with getting the yaris cleaned up and taking pictures this week.

Advertisement