Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anything to be done?

Options
  • 25-06-2012 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hey all im workin for a landlord, doin abit of maintaince, the landlord has the tv split nine ways, seven bedrooms and two sitting rooms.
    The picture is absolutely awful in most of the house.
    Its a upc analogue signal, connected to a load of flatscreen (lcd) tvs.
    Just wondering if anyone has any ideas how to boost/improve the signal and some suggestions as to why the picture is so bad.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HQ-ANT-AMP4-Antenna-Amplifier/dp/B000LFJSRA/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1340657992&sr=1-6

you could try something like this, or a similar signal booster / splitter?

How is it wired at the moment? At a guess I'd suspect that the signal is really bad because it's been split 9 ways with various means of spit, tape, terminal blocks etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Split with some pretty decent lookin splitters near the door, but some of the connection s are just looped from tv point to tv point this seems to be where the picture is worst. Is there any way of checking how good the connections are besides eyeballin them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yea get an amplifier it will definitely help. If you can't get a 9 way amplifier you could double up some of the TVs on the outgoing side. The signal at the moment must be terrible if its going 9 ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 whogivesashlt

kramer1 wrote: »
    Its a upc analogue signal
    I could be wrong but I thought everything was going digital in October and that they were powering down the whole analogue thing, might be worth checking out

An amplifier it is so, thanks for the help

• Advertisement

I could be wrong but I thought everything was going digital in October and that they were powering down the whole analogue thing, might be worth checking out

Yeah they are, I have no idea what the mans plan is after that but for now he wants it fixed so I told him id try

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Yeah they are, I have no idea what the mans plan is after that but for now he wants it fixed so I told him id try

The switch off is for over the air transmissions, UPC analogue is unaffected. If it was analogue tv from rabbit ears that's different.

UPC do want rid of it because they cant stop people receiving the 15 channels as there is no encryption like with their digital boxes. If you have UPC Internet and put a splitter in before your cable modem you can get analogue tv. UPC know about this widespread piracy and charge a supplement of 8 euro a month on your Internet package if you don't add a digital tv option. Also if you were ever connected to ntl/cablelink/chorus etc there's a good chance you can just plug it back in without paying a penny.

UPC must hate the service, they charge more for it to the few legit subscribers it still has (my grandad included) than for basic digital which has more, better quality channels to try and get people off it. They constantly send my grandad fliers about digital but he doesn't want to have to learn to work it.

It will be shut off soon enough I'd say but not at the October deadline. Chances are the boss man doesn't mind a few quid on splitters/ a distribution amp if nobody is paying bills for the service.

Amplifier did the job, thanks to all

Advertisement