Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you were to travel back 1000 years in time...

• 25-06-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

Are their any skills that you have required that would be of benefit to people in the Middle ages ..

I can't think of any:(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

blacksmithing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm mighty useful with Microsoft Excel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The interweb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,276 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Painting pictures!

I'd probably end up having to work for the church though painting pictures of jesus and saints. Boo! :(

• Site Banned Posts: 222 ✭✭bee_keeper

sxt wrote: »
    Are their any skills that you have required that would be of benefit to people in the Middle ages ..

id write and sell a book on gambling which guarenteed future outcomes on wars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

Are there any skills that you have required that would be of benefit to people in the Middle ages ..
    Scientific method. Would be burnt at the stake for heresy...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I think they'd have far more useful things to teach me.
    They wouldn't be able to do this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

The knowledge that the terrible failure of the 1012 winter turnip crop is but months away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I know a bit about astronomy so I could probably convince some people that I was a wizard. Not really a skill, but handy should you ever find yourself 1000 years in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Learn to build a big wall around Ireland keep certain people out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I know a bit about astronomy so I could probably convince some people that I was a wizard. Not really a skill, but handy should you ever find yourself 1000 years in the past.
    Unless they burn you at the stake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Wizard.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Nothing, because I don't speak Old/Middle English :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Court eunuch. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Events in 1012 according to Wiki :rolleyes:
    So striking a strategic alliance / hard deal / crawling / or bribing Norsemen would be a popular occupation :D

Or getting all available men organised for a big bloody battle in some cases :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Say you went back 100 years the differences would be massive but what if you went from the year 0 back to 5000 BC would the differences be as significant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Are we talking practical skills here or knowledge? I'd be pretty sure that almost anyone with a secondary school education could kickstart the industrial revolution using knowledge of steam power and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I'd introduce the Three Field crop rotation system and provide Europe with an early population boom...probably resulting in bigger, nastier wars and my eventual trial and execution for witchcraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Neither did the people of Ireland a thousand years ago.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Neither did the people of Ireland a thousand years ago.

Burn :pac: I certainly don't speak old forms of Irish!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The atheists would be a lot quieter

You better be or you'll be burned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Steam engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Plagiarism of future inventions

I'd go back and find some way of setting up my own version of Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I could claim all 1980s power ballads as my own.

I'd be bigger than Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, Vera Lynn, Elvis, Michael Jackson, The Beatles and Jedward combined.

Imagine this in 1012, written and performed by Where To

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I'd go back and find some way of setting up my own version of Google.

They had that back then, it was called a library...pretty slow search speed though!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Any form of English would be feck all use to you in 1012 Ireland.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

No coke and hookers but I would have wenches and ale :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Red Hand wrote: »
    You so badaaaaassssssss, Berlin.

Music, of course. I would be warbling Yellow Submarine and Come as You Are to great aclaim from hamlet to city.

Bas ass, stone age my good man. Care for a cup of Earl grey?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Interesting question :pac:

While we all know things like electricty, black powder, concrete, plastic (list goes on) would be such a major change. None of us know how to create the aforementioned :pac:

(unless we got a few egg heads using boards)

Cashel was the capital for Brian Boru

UP TIPP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

They had that back then, it was called a library...pretty slow search speed though!

Especially as each book was hand-written on the sewn together skin of fetal calfs.....

Well, I can cook and I can sew, I can keep a house right tidy. But as I'm not happy about being eaten by fleas and bed bugs, lack of washing facilities and being surrounded by equally unwashed people, living in dark huts without access to clean water or privacy for toilet activites, my stay there would be very short indeed. I don't think my immune system would be up to it at all.

Can you imagine trying to explain concepts like 'democracy' to the illiterate and uneducated unwashed? :D Never mind central heating! Soft beds! Electric light! TV! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A 1000 years ago the Pope was extremely inflammable and you wouldn't dare speak out against the Catholic Church. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Pfft speak for yourself.

I don’t know who you are. I don’t know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don’t have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that’ll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I can roast a mean lamb shank and feign interest in even the most mundane things, I'd land me a wealthy husband and be just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Knowledge of warfare tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potage

A bowl of potage with garlic and cheese fries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The atheists would be a lot quieter

You better be or you'll be burned

Aye, instead of there only being a handful of idiots, it would be literally everyone.

Your godless ass would be murdered quick sharp..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

If I were to travel back 1000 years in time... I'd tell Syria, Iraq, Iran and all the places that have become soo messed up....Remember compliments you receive.
    Forget the insults!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I can cook, build things with wood, and have a good idea of the traps used during the Vietnam war. Have a basic knowledge of paper airplanes, so would probably be able to make gliders with bombs attached...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I wouldn't fancy going back to 1000 years ago but a 100 years ago maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'd be good at stealing stuff and hiding/burying it and then digging it up in the present day and selling my newly found antiquities for a small fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Sandwich Making :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

I would just find a corner somewhere and sit in it until the time machine kicked in again. It's all well and good starting the industrial revolution 800 years early and being hailed as a god amongst men but what happens if you get in a fight with a scoundrel outside "Ye New Tavern" for staring at your wench in an ungentlemany manner. That could rip apart the space time continuum and you wouldn't be born :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

A 1000 years ago the Pope was extremely inflammable and you wouldn't dare speak out against the Catholic Church. :eek:

The catholic church had little or no power in Ireland in 1012. What's happening is a struggle between the Irish and the Vikings.

Everybody is convinced that people were burnt at the stake in Celtic Christian Ireland.

Wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

There are loads of skills anyone could bring back to the middle ages.

You could show people how to make pizza, sandwiches and all types of deliciousness that hadn't been invented yet.

But most of all you could share with them the culinary discovery of the ages that is garlic bread.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Going back to the 'Celts' might have been a nicer era to get back too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Adrian iv, the only english pope, issued a papal bull in 1155 giving the king of engalnd the right to take over ireland; so the celtic church would be brought into line with rome.

CJC999 wrote: »
    I'd be good at stealing stuff

Yeah but if you were caught we'd put you in the stocks in town and laugh and throw rotten veg at you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Adrian iv, the only english pope, issued a papal bull in 1155 giving the king of engalnd the right to take over ireland; so the celtic church would be brought into line with rome.

Yes long after 1012

• Advertisement
Advertisement