Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newspaper/cardboard, compost, and garden shredders

Options
  • 25-06-2012 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

How well/badly would a cheapie garden shredder (probably off Ebay, in or around €100) deal with newspaper/cardboard?

I ask as I am going to start making compost for my veg garden. I can get grass clippings and newspaper/cardboard easy enough, that's why I ask. The mind numbingly boring bit would be manually shredding the newspaper/cardboard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I don't think a garden shredder would do well with soft stuff like that. It's not too bad shredding newspaper by hand. You can tear a tabloid doubled over easy enough, one tear all the way down, whole paper done in about 5 tears. I used to use a paper shredder but don't bother now. I just collect a lot of it and do big batches in half hour sessions and bag it up to add when it's needed.
    Think about how much compost you could buy with 100 euros. About 1000 ltrs. Plus the electricty cost. Plus it's time consuming using a shredder too. What's the point :) Much easier and faster by hand. Get people to save their papers for you.

Advertisement