Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL or WIT?

Options
  • 25-06-2012 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello ,,,

I am a few steps to take an important decision on the level of education,

I received two offers from the University of Limerick and Waterford Institute to study Masters in Engineering, Almost the same specialty,
    in fact I do not know to what extent is my decision now,

For the people of experience, what is your opinion, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭getonmyhorse

A university degree destroys an i.t. one everyday of the week. I would think this is a simple choice tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 13 S.M.A.R.T

A university degree destroys an i.t. one everyday of the week. I would think this is a simple choice tbh

Thanks for your response, please do explain to me your words in another way.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I,m from Waterford and im a student in UL so I know both places. For me the answer has to be UL. The facilities there are so much better and in general its a much nicer place.
    Also as someone already said its much better to have a university qualification

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stephen_Byrne

I think you'd be better off to ask the head of the course if you could have the email address of one of the previous or current masters students from each University. Email them and ask if you could give them a phone call and ask them about the pitfalls and positives of each course. You'll get a much better idea, engineering is too specific for boards, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 S.M.A.R.T

Thanks guys, have been useful information, I was wondering about the differences between the two schools in general, and on the strength of a university degree as well as the global ranking of the two schools.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭vonniec

From my experience it is ALOT easier to get a job after with a degree from UL. Have recently started a new post in a manufacturing company as an engineer, and 80% of the engineers they've hired here are UL graduates.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What you could also do is look at the subjects taught (I assume it's a taught Masters) and see which ones you want to study the most. If they both offer the same check out the subject syllabus to see if it's something you're interested in doing.

For example the Aero and Mech Eng Masters courses in UL both have Advanced CFD as possible subjects. Some Masters courses only do an introductory course in it. So if you were interested in CFD either of these Masters would be right up your street.

Advertisement