Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who wants an Adventure

• 25-06-2012 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

So who of ye want to break free from the mundanity of life, and have an adventure. For those of use who watch a lot of movies or read a lot of literature, do you want to just have one adventure in your life that could be compared to something you've read or seen on the big screen...

Live go to a far away land, fall in love.
    Have one amazing day, were you do everything you've wanted to do a kin to Ferris Bueller.
    Or have a live experience like any one of John Hughes movies.

This came to mind when I was watching "Jeff, Who Lives At Home", in combination with trying to figure out what I want in live.

I'm currently single, broke and unemployed with a worthless college degree, don't particulary want to go back to college, or work in dunnes/tesco stacking shelves or work 60 hour weeks...I seem to know what I don't want, but for what I want...

So who wants an adventure, or whom of you have had an adventure you'd like to share...

I know this is AH's so I'm expecting some fairly epic adventures:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Mummy, a man on the internet wants to take me on an adventure!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

This one time I went outside .. I swore to myself, never again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Something about being buried balls deep in Bibi Baskin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

So who of ye want to break free from the mundanity of life, and have an adventure. For those of use who watch a lot of movies or read a lot of literature, do you want to just have one adventure in your life that could be compared to something you've read or seen on the big screen...

Live go to a far away land, fall in love.
    Have one amazing day, were you do everything you've wanted to do a kin to Ferris Bueller.
    Or have a live experience like any one of John Hughes movies.

This came to mind when I was watching "Jeff, Who Lives At Home", in combination with trying to figure out what I want in live.

I'm currently single, broke and unemployed with a worthless college degree, don't particulary want to go back to college, or work in dunnes/tesco stacking shelves or work 60 hour weeks...I seem to know what I don't want, but for what I want...

So who wants an adventure, or whom of you have had an adventure you'd like to share...

I know this is AH's so I'm expecting some fairly epic adventures:D

Your not planning on heading to Australia, are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Your not planning on heading to Australia, are you?

Been there and absolutely hated it over there

• Advertisement

I would love to have a really big adventure. In Borneo or somewhere equally as awesome.

I tend to have lots of mini adventures though. If I take a wrong turn or something I say "ah sure it's an adventure". Or like when I was in Rome a few weeks ago, I wouldn't get a taxi from the airport because it's more of an adventure to get the train.

I do love an adventure! No matter how small :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I would love to have a really big adventure. In Borneo or somewhere equally as awesome.

I tend to have lots of mini adventures though. If I take a wrong turn or something I say "ah sure it's an adventure". Or like when I was in Rome a few weeks ago, I wouldn't get a taxi from the airport because it's more of an adventure to get the train.

Ah well, when in Rome...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The spelling mistakes nearly killed me in your OP. I couldn't decide the whole time reading it whether you were pulling the piss with them. I'm still not sure. I don't mean to be mean, lovely thread.

I would go for something a bit out of time. Swashing and Buckling and fisticuffs. Exotic lands and strange yet endearing women, boats and hoes you get the drift.

I would love to live something out of a Tim Powers novel. On Stranger Tides and The Anubis Gates are two of the best adventure stories I've ever read. In reality though I'm happy with just a little adventure here and there. You can make your own day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I'll be right with you OP after I buy my first house and car :cool:

Shryke wrote: »
    The spelling mistakes nearly killed me in your OP. I couldn't decide the whole time reading it whether you were pulling the piss with them. I'm still not sure. I don't mean to be mean, lovely thread.

I would go for something a bit out of time. Swashing and Buckling and fisticuffs. Exotic lands and strange yet endearing women, boats and hoes you get the drift.

I would love to live something out of a Tim Powers novel. On Stranger Tides and The Anubis Gates are two of the best adventure stories I've ever read. In reality though I'm happy with just a little adventure here and there. You can make your own day to day.

I'm dyslexic and for some reason my spell check isn't working on my browser

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Ah that's sound, understood you perfectly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

Im in, are you paying ? if u are Im in cos Im going off my head, love to go do a bear grylls type week in south america (minus the pee)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Enter a state of deep psychosis like I and everything becomes an adventure. It's really fun and it's very difficult not to indulge yourself in your fantasies. The other day I became a cloud and a secret agent. Plus the rare moments of clarity are exhilarating. I should probably be medicated....

I'd like to go to Japan. It'd be mad I'd say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

We're gonna need two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers. Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

try 7F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I love adventures. If I won the lotto I'd just jump on a plane to any destination and let the adventure start there and see where it takes me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I watched a trailer for that and thought it looked sh!t, true story.

Also thought this thread was going to be about Adventure Time, I am disappoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I'd love to go to Peru and do the Inca trail then travel down through Bolivia and the rest of South America in a battered but trusty red Defender jeep with my gf

tmc86 wrote: »
    I'd love to go to Peru and do the Inca trail then travel down through Bolivia and the rest of South America in a battered but trusty red Defender jeep with my gf

Inca trail is on my bucket list too.

It's a vury long list and I'm getting old.

Must not have panic attack. Deep breaths.

tmc86 wrote: »
    I'd love to go to Peru and do the Inca trail

That's on my bucket list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm in. Where are we going?
    We could use this
    http://www.abulsme.com/trip/spottool.html .
    Someone else should pick though - I ended up in the ocean five times before getting solid ground... in Yemen...

It's a vury long list and I'm getting old.

I have too many places to see before I die :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Do the Mongol rally. I did it a few years back and it was epic beyond words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

get on a random bus and get a picture with the driver wherever you wind up, then ask the driver to be your friend. Maybe give him some flowers. make a beautiful scrapbook documenting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sided

Well....

I moved to another country (ie: Ireland) in hopes to figure out my life and fall in love, travel Europe, see the world.. yadda yadda

I'm doing the same thing I was doing at home. Working.

The last adventure I had was a jaunt to Cork.

Life is semi boring, have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

For football fans only and for me probably never going to happen because this will never be played in a matter of a few weeks but my adventure would be going to South America and visit these 3 matches:

Flamengo - Fluminense
    Boca Juniors - River Plate
    Universidad de Chile - Colo Colo.

Probably best to save the Argentinian one for last. Most likely the unsafest of the 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

http://www.amazon.co.uk/River-Doubt-Candice-Millard/dp/0767913736/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298763984&sr=8-1

This is what Teddy Roosevelt did. Some adventure. Not all fun, by the sounds.

"The River of Doubt was a thousand mile ribbon of water snaking through the densest jungle on earth. Challenged by waterfalls and rapids, heat and insects, deadly predators and watchful Indians..."

"...it is a black, uncharted tributary of the Amazon that snakes through one of the most treacherous jungles in the world. Indians armed with poison-tipped arrows haunt its shadows; piranhas glide through its waters; boulder-strewn rapids turn the river into a roiling cauldron."

that's funny you say that, my friend is going to borneo in a few weeks

bluewolf wrote: »

It's not really "funny" at all though, is it? Or even odd...

• Advertisement

inforfun wrote: »
    For football fans only and for me probably never going to happen because this will never be played in a matter of a few weeks but my adventure would be going to South America and visit these 3 matches:

Flamengo - Fluminense
    Boca Juniors - River Plate
    Universidad de Chile - Colo Colo.

Probably best to save the Argentinian one for last. Most likely the unsafest of the 3.

The Argentina one is the one I really want to do, more so than the others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Best of me so far, the MdS and various runs across the Sahara, a few 100k runs through the woods of Lapland, parachute malfunction. I would love to spend a few month to a year in desert, jungle and artic environments though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The Argentina one is the one I really want to do, more so than the others

Well, River Plate got promoted so it is on the agenda again.

smash wrote: »
    I have too many places to see before I die :(

There are too many places. Way too many.

Lucky thing. It's something I've wanted to do since I was very young, I'm not even all that sure where it came from.
    Ficheall wrote: »
    It's not really "funny" at all though, is it? Or even odd...

Hilarious actually.

Hilarious actually.
    I didn't mean that it wasn't "amusing" - it's just not as unusual as she seems to suggest. Given bluewolf's usual pedantry (I'm not complaining - it's why we love her), I was surprised at her comment, is all...

Ficheall wrote: »
    I didn't mean that it wasn't "amusing" - it's just not as unusual as she seems to suggest. Given bluewolf's usual pedantry (I'm not complaining - it's why we love her), I was surprised at her comment, is all...

I find it interesting because I'd never heard of anyone I know going to borneo or wanting to go there in my life, and shortly after my friend tells me she's going whoopsy mentions it also
    it's interesting timing
    now give over! :pac:

• Advertisement

Pour vous: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littlewood's_law <3
    Not quite what I was looking for, but it's a similar idea.

Anyway, where are we going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Hmmmm I want to ride in a dog sledge across a tundra, sail to Constantinople (I know it's called Istanbul now), set foot on every continent (done Asia, Europe, N. America and Australia. Africa happening in Sept so just S. America and Antarctica to go.) Drive across the US stopping only in towns named 'Sharon' - this is possible!). Ride a camel (Sept :D), sail on a tall ship, Drive to Alice Springs across Nullabor and have a spin on an airboat in the Everglades.

I have swum on both sides of the Atlantic and the Pacific, seen the Barrier Reef, white water rafted through a rain forest, been on a plane taking off in a typhoon. I've also spent two weeks wild camping in July [in Ireland] every summer for the last 10 years - when the rain has been coming at you from a 45 degree angle for 5 days, a north-westerly has made a concerted attempt to shred the tent and the mud has stolen all your wellies it can begin to seem like an extreme endurance test. I'm bringing small children with me this year. :eek:

I find it interesting because I'd never heard of anyone I know going to borneo or wanting to go there in my life, and shortly after my friend tells me she's going whoopsy mentions it also
    it's interesting timing
    now give over! :pac:

How could anyone not want to go?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borneo

I have to stop reading threads like these. They make me want to add adventures to my list - and my list is too damn long already :(

There are too many places. Way too many.

I want to do a rain forest trek too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

A world wide scavenger hunt that would take you too the highest mountain, the darkess parts of the rain forest and to the largest cities

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Hmmmm I want to ride in a dog sledge across a tundra, sail to Constantinople (I know it's called Istanbul now), set foot on every continent (done Asia, Europe, N. America and Australia. Africa happening in Sept so just S. America and Antarctica to go.) Drive across the US stopping only in towns named 'Sharon' - this is possible!). Ride a camel (Sept :D), sail on a tall ship, Drive to Alice Springs across Nullabor and have a spin on an airboat in the Everglades.

I have swum on both sides of the Atlantic and the Pacific, seen the Barrier Reef, white water rafted through a rain forest, been on a plane taking off in a typhoon. I've also spent two weeks wild camping in July [in Ireland] every summer for the last 10 years - when the rain has been coming at you from a 45 degree angle for 5 days, a north-westerly has made a concerted attempt to shred the tent and the mud has stolen all your wellies it can begin to seem like an extreme endurance test. I'm bringing small children with me this year. :eek:

Did that heading from Sydney to Perth

It's time for an adventure, goky gee ya!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

An adventure
    Who started this Peter f***in Pan

An adventure
    Who started this Peter f***in Pan

Um, no, it was A_Sober_Paddy

Says so in the OP. Maybe you missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Did that heading from Sydney to Perth

I drove Sydney to Brisbane in a 7.5 tonne rental truck with a very, very dodgy gear box - It wouldn't down shift. By amazing coincidence I never needed to until we got outside Sydney so I thought 'we'll be grand.....'

I fecked my shoulder half way there trying to change gears going up a very steep road and my son had to do the gear changing after that. That was an adventure.

On the plus side I did get my rental fee reimbursed plus a 'please don't sue us' bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

http://www.theadventurists.com/
    Fighting to make the world less boring.

I've done two - drove to Mongolia in a Nissan Micra, and trundled from the bottom to the top of India in a tuk-tuk.

It was........mostly fun

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭herosa

Mummy, a man on the internet wants to take me on an adventure!!

:):):):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Burt Lancaster

I would much prefer my life to stop being one big adventure, I just want peace.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

An adventure isn't fun while it's happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I vote we organise a boards adventure.

It can be like a '10.15 to Nutley' type thing...we all get bus tickets to some place pulled outta a hat (like Lisdoonvarna), meet in Bus Aras and head off for the night. Flippantly bidding adieu to the lives we knew before, and returning from our one-night of shenanigans as changed people!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement