Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye floaters/Vitreous deterioration

Options
  • 25-06-2012 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi everyone,

I have had eye floaters for the past six months, have had it checked by an eye doctor and have been told that this is due to deterioration of vitreous gel, nothing can be done, and they will not go away but you will get used to them.

Needless to say, I'm finding it very difficult to get used to them. I find I don't want to drive because they're so irritating, and when I'm out walking (particularly in the evening) I find it very hard to recognize people I know. They are like clouds in my eyes is the best description I can give of them (Well actually they seem more like frog spawn tbh pacman.gif). I used to be able to read "through" them, but I think they might actually be getting worse frown.gif.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation to me, and if so, how do you deal with your floaters?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

marann wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have had eye floaters for the past six months, have had it checked by an eye doctor and have been told that this is due to deterioration of vitreous gel, nothing can be done, and they will not go away but you will get used to them.

Needless to say, I'm finding it very difficult to get used to them. I find I don't want to drive because they're so irritating, and when I'm out walking (particularly in the evening) I find it very hard to recognize people I know. They are like clouds in my eyes is the best description I can give of them (Well actually they seem more like frog spawn tbh pacman.gif). I used to be able to read "through" them, but I think they might actually be getting worse frown.gif.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation to me, and if so, how do you deal with your floaters?

I have a "floater" myself....very annoying :mad:
    Can't belive modern medicine can't do anything about them! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

I had a lot of these when i was younger, effects of uveitis for me. I had an awful lot of 'debris' floating around, so i was given a vitriectomy (sp?) where i had a lot of the gel removed. This helped a lot with the problem, as the gel regenerates itself. However, this wasn't a permanent fix and i still continue to get floaters, although nowhere near as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 marann

flossie wrote: »
    I had a lot of these when i was younger, effects of uveitis for me. I had an awful lot of 'debris' floating around, so i was given a vitriectomy (sp?) where i had a lot of the gel removed. This helped a lot with the problem, as the gel regenerates itself. However, this wasn't a permanent fix and i still continue to get floaters, although nowhere near as bad.

Hi, Thank you for that. Did you have vitrectomy in Ireland? How long ago? Sounds like a good idea but hard to get information. Doctors seem to say it is dangerous if not absolutely necessary. I'm glad this worked for you. What is uveitis?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

Uveitis is inflammation of the posterior chamber of the eye, i.e the back of the eye. In my case it is unexplained and not linked to any obvious cause, although many people find it can be linked to certain conditions of the autoimmune systems. I had the surgery done when i was about 13, so 16 years ago now. I think my procedure was undertaken as i had fairly major surgery on the eye, to remove cataract, scar tissue, lens holding etc. so was done as part of that, plus i was on continued steroid treatment which was likely to make things worse. I tend to find my floaters more obvious when i am tired and stressed. They are a natural occurrence though and unless they make a severe impact on life most people tend to live with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 marann

flossie wrote: »
    Uveitis is inflammation of the posterior chamber of the eye, i.e the back of the eye. In my case it is unexplained and not linked to any obvious cause, although many people find it can be linked to certain conditions of the autoimmune systems. I had the surgery done when i was about 13, so 16 years ago now. I think my procedure was undertaken as i had fairly major surgery on the eye, to remove cataract, scar tissue, lens holding etc. so was done as part of that, plus i was on continued steroid treatment which was likely to make things worse. I tend to find my floaters more obvious when i am tired and stressed. They are a natural occurrence though and unless they make a severe impact on life most people tend to live with them.
    Thank you, I wonder if you had to go abroad for this treatment or if it is done in Ireland. Anyway it sounds as if you had a hard time and have come through it. I agree floaters are worse with stress but they are never better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you, I wonder if you had to go abroad for this treatment or if it is done in Ireland. Anyway it sounds as if you had a hard time and have come through it. I agree floaters are worse with stress but they are never better!
    You don't want to consider a vitrectomy unless you suffer from very sever case of eye floaters because of its extremely high risk. Whether your eye floaters will increase or deposit in the bottom of your eye depends on a lot of things like your nutrition or your habits.
    Eye floaters can be treated naturally with some specific herbs and diet. I highly recommend you take a look at this blog for further information.

Advertisement