Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American Vs. European tourists.

• 26-06-2012 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭

When you meet an American or European tourist in Ireland, who do you relate to most, language barrier excluded?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

American tourists are sound, a bit naive, but sound.

Can be a bit more demanding, but thats due to their tipping culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I don't find myself in protracted enough conversation in which to relate. I relay where a place they are looking for is, and on my way I go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You hear the American tourists before you see them

So loud

However they don't have the Irish curse of never complaining but giving out afterwards
    If it's wrong they will say it on the spot and they are right to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I find both to be cool but I'd have to give my vote to American because most of them are lovely to talk to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

americans are easy to talk to becuse they dont walk too fast, the waddle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

*Born in the States but hear me out

In Ireland when Americans are here touring, they seem 'more foreign' than those from Europe, those from UK, France, Germany, Spain you kind of just expect more than a big gawky American. I mean walking down the street see a group of spanish, think nothing of it, see a bunch of americans, you'd be like oh theres a big bunch of americans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Europeans, despite the language barrier I know much more about the culture and geography. A tourist from the US could say they were from Wyoming and I wouldn't have a clue where that was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I hate to say this but (with the exception of the British) I would find it easier to relate to most Americans.

We watch the same media and TV, we speak the same language, and we have more tangible cultural links with the US than we do with the likes of Mediterranian Europe or Scandanavia, for example.

Pity to say that, but yeah, US tourists:(

But Irish people consume American media in the same way as Spanish, French, Norwegians do, i.e as outsiders.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Europeans, despite the language barrier I know much more about the culture and geography. A tourist from the US could say they were from Wyoming and I wouldn't have a clue where that was.

It's in America.

• Advertisement

Yeah this is it. An Irish person is just more in tune with a European than they are an American, mentality wise anyway, Irish share more in common with other European countries than with Americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If they leave a 1c coin on the table and you were serving them it's supposed a realy strong message :eek:

They were incredibly unhappy and they think you and the food and the service was terrible

So hide that before the boss sees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

later12 wrote: »
    I hate to say this but (with the exception of the British) I would find it easier to relate to most Americans.

We watch the same media and TV, we speak the same language, and we have more tangible cultural links with the US than we do with the likes of Mediterranian Europe or Scandanavia, for example.

Pity to say that, but yeah, US tourists:(

I'd agree with this, meeting say a German tourist in a pub on a night out you really feel there is a difference, even ones with very good English. When I meet American tourists it's much easier to get into relaxed conversation. Saying that, when abroad by far the most craic is had with the English, Scottish and Welsh.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

The american accent ****ing carries.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Yeah this is it. An Irish person is just more in tune with a European than they are an American, mentality wise anyway, Irish share more in common with other European countries than with Americans.

Like what? From what I can see we share far more in the way of popular culture with the Americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

In Ireland when Americans are here touring, they seem 'more foreign' than those from Europe, those from UK, France, Germany, Spain you kind of just expect more than a big gawky American. I mean walking down the street see a group of spanish, think nothing of it, see a bunch of americans, you'd be like oh theres a big bunch of americans.

could just be one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

The american accent ****ing carries.

Which one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I would say I relate to European tourists more. It may be because I meet much more of them. But we are culturally much closer in my opinion. OK TV and film aside. Most Irish people could name a handful of European leaders but would struggle to name a current US politician apart from Obama and maybe Hilary Clinton.
    We could probably name dozens of European football clubs etc but would struggle to name a handful of US teams in their big sports, let alone their sports stars.

Just from my experience the type of American tourist I was more likely to meet were older, wealthier Americans whereas the European tourists I have met have represented a much broader social spectrum.

Maybe it is a reflection on the relative price of flights here and the exchange rate between here and the US and here and the rest of Europe.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I would say I relate to European tourists more. It may be because I meet much more of them. But we are culturally much closer in my opinion. OK TV and film aside. Most Irish people could name a handful of European leaders but would struggle to name a current US politician apart from Obama and maybe Hilary Clinton.
    Most? I'd doubt that.

Many, perhaps; but so might a lot of Americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I like Canadians the best, just to be a contrary wastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

mackg wrote: »
    Like what? From what I can see we share far more in the way of popular culture with the Americans.

Anglosphere cultures tend not to mix with others. Go to France and the movies in the cinemas or the songs in the charts are in Portuguese, Spanish, French, German, English, Norwegian etc. Whereas here, if it's not in English, it's not getting a look in.

However, the idea that "we" watch the same TV shows... No "we" don't. Irish people watch TV shows made for and aimed at Americans. They don't give a ****e about us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I hate them all equally. Now that is really progressive bigotry.

Apart from the good looking ones. They may stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's in America.

that's about as far as the Americans could get with explaining it too. Though the ones with passports probably are a little more cultured than the average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Where To wrote: »
    I like Canadians the best, just to be a contrary wastard.

I'm still not sure aboot them...

tolosenc wrote: »
    Anglosphere cultures tend not to mix with others. Go to France and the movies in the cinemas or the songs in the charts are in Portuguese, Spanish, French, German, English, Norwegian etc. Whereas here, if it's not in English, it's not getting a look in.

However, the idea that "we" watch the same TV shows... No "we" don't. Irish people watch TV shows made for and aimed at Americans. They don't give a ****e about us.

So what if we don't listen to songs in other languages? That doesn't seem at all weird to me, people like lyrics. I for one prefer them without the need for google translate.

So what they don't care? That doesn't make a blind bit of difference to the fact that you're going to have more stuff to talk about with an American in terms of TV, movies and music. These are fairly trivial day to day things that are easy to talk about with strangers. What exactly is the point of that second paragraph in relation to the topic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

^That.

I grew up in a rural place with lots of great fishing and touristy stuff so I used to meet a lot of foreign tourists, mostly French. Like everyone else in the English speaking world I poke fun at Frenchie for being mad etc. but the truth is, I think they are the most normal people in the world. The Dutch too. Maybe the Germans are strange, but they're sound all the same.

But Americans are really strange (I live in America and love the place and it's people...I suppose it's tough love ;) ). It's not so much that we can't relate to them, but they can't relate to anyone else. Their resilience to foreign culture is mind boggling. They are utterly impervious to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

European tourist in America: "Hello, I'm from a little country in Europe. You probably haven't heard of it, it's called Turphetania."

American tourist in Europe: "Hiiiii, do you speak American? Do you know where the nearest Wendy's is? I'm starving! I don't like any of the food over here!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Of course I know where that is. Your man from brokeback mountain was from there.

What? That fact is not the slightest bit gay...

P.S America is the greatest country on earth in so many ways, the people are amazing but I just don't see the similarities between an Irish and an American.

Not alone the stark differences between even the most true to their rootsIrish Americans(who are a completely different animal to what exists in Ireland and really seem to be stuck in some kinda timewarp) what about the contrasts between an Irish person and a kid from the Bronx with Dominican parents? US is the NATION OF IMMIGRANTS, its shapes the identity, Ireland is the exact opposite.

Irish people think they get America, but their image is shaped by what they see on TV and the movies.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

American tourist in europe: 'why did they build that castle next to the airport?'

I know Americans who would find it a shock black people exist in France, England etc.

They just don't get things and heck why should they? The world does literally revolve around them. The world absorbs what they emit.

Obviously USA has some of the most intelligent minds in the world, but we're talking about your ordinary day to day citizen here. Convinced a guy in Santa Cruz, Cali that (Ireland) Europe was just north of Sacramento, but he had no idea what or where Ireland was, or WHERE EUROPE WAS :o Although think this guy was just slow, said he was from Samoa and had no idea what rugby was.

Just to be clear OP when you say Americans, do you just mean people from the U.S.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

American tourists easily. All round good eggs from my own experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I disagree there.... usually, you see a bunch pf Spanish and know you're better of crossing the road now, because there will be no way through them, and they will be standing there until the cows come home...

That said, I find it odd how easy it is to spot Americans. And I couldn't even tell you why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

From my experience if the American is of Irish decent then they are like little kids in a playground always in awe at everything.
    "Wow theres a castle". Snap Snap Snap.
    "Wow there is a ring fort, thats where the Celts lived" Snap Snap Snap.
    "Look at the dog chacing the wheels of the car"Snap Snap Snap.
    European tourists just go around with a bored with the rain look on them.
    Americans all the way for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

American tourist in europe: 'why did they build that castle next to the airport?'

Alternatively, on seeing Neuschwanstein "Hey, I know that one! This one was modelled on Disneyland, right?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I used to get a good few tourists from all over in my old job, from Americans who were "Irish" (great great great aunt Maude married a fella from Tullamore, more like) to random Italians who yammered away in Italian at you despite you not having a clue what they were saying.

To be honest I had positive and negative experiences with both Americans and Europeans- unfortunately every country in the world breeds ignorant arseholes who like to travel. I would say for the yanks though, they were almost always very polite to staff (if a little demanding/difficult).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"Europe" ain't no country that I ever heard of, do they speak english in europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    When you meet an American or European tourist in Ireland, who do you relate to most, language barrier excluded?

Dutch / Eastern Europeans.

I'm dutch blooded, but born and raised in Ireland.

I have not a single truly Irish friend. I can't relate to them fully.
    I love the mix of opinions/outlooks you get with a mixed group of friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

European tourists? I don't think you can generalise when it comes to Europeans at all at all. Spanish tourists V Swedish tourists. As different as they come in the Western World.

I'd click with Americans and Europeans from Latin countries the most. The conversation flows easy with them whereas I find the conversation is a bit more stilted with other nationalities but that's just me.

I like Americans and American tourists a lot. I love their enthusiasm (when they're older than their early 20s) and I find it contagious. Some of them really take to European culture and get stuck in there and make the most of it and I respect them for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sided

This is the most ignorant **** I've ever read. Yes, it is true that a lot of American's eat poorly but I can't say that the Irish eat that well either. I have seen my roommate eat 1 vegetable since I've lived with him apart from that it's take away/premade dinners and cookies or yogurt. The Irish have just as much fast food/take out/greasy junk as American's, its just not some franchise like McDonald's.

I've never known any American to say 'do you speak American' - I wouldn't be surprised if they would say something like, 'Do you speak English' - Which is a fair question since the majority of American's don't speak any other language and if they can't, they're not going to start speaking jibberish to try to fit in.. American's already feel stupid enough in most cases. Sadly, Most American's are not overly educated about the outside world. This is because the primary education they receive is strictly to do with their own History. However, there are many other countries that don't know anything about other countries or world events as well. I taught ESL for awhile to Chinese students and not one of them knew what the Holocaust was, that's disturbing.

In my personal experience, trying to find a restaurant here is a daunting task. There are SO many places to choose from that you just wish you could pick something you know. Sure you guys have Burger King and McDonald's but if you aren't choosing those places, I've eaten at some pubs that have pretty low quality food. I'd rather eat low quality food that I know I can stomach (ie: McDonalds) than eat somewhere with low quality food and be unsure of the menu and be disappointed. At least with McDonald's you know what you're getting. It may not be great but it's at least familiar and you don't need to starve looking for that restaurant that your tour guide book recommended or ask a stranger on the street that sometimes looks at you like you're a moron because you don't know where O'Connell street is.. (This is for Tourists, mind you).

Some American's are actually really great people and highly educated... and for whomever mentioned that American's are loud.. I've heard some loud Irish people. Not only loud but that annoying accent, 'wheeatts teh starrry' or just random folks on the street yelling at eachother about drugs, booze, their kids, their boyfriends, etc.

I don't support all that American's do but I do respect that for the most part they are respectable and friendly. Sure, they complain about things like the food and that's perfectly acceptable to be annoyed by but you can't complain about it when Irish people are just as picky food wise, you're just used to your own shops, etc and it's certainly no excuse to poke fun or be rude about it when chances are - half the people that are annoyed with American tourists haven't even BEEN to the US and would likely feel the same way when they're in a foreign country.

Hell I know I've gained nearly a stone while here because of how different the food is here. It's ridiculous...

Pedant wrote: »
    European tourist in America: "Hello, I'm from a little country in Europe. You probably haven't heard of it, it's called Turphetania."

American tourist in Europe: "Hiiiii, do you speak American? Do you know where the nearest Wendy's is? I'm starving! I don't like any of the food over here!"

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sided

Also, I find that American's don't smoke as much as people from other places.

I've never felt so sick in all my life. You're walking down the street and you're dodging people with their arms lowered with a lit cigarette and people blowing cigarette smoke everywhere or straight in your face.

I swear one of these days I'm going to get my clothes burnt or my hand burnt. Also, these people just seem to flick their cigarettes behind them when they're done as if they were just walking down an empty sidewalk.

I feel like I'm dodging smoke and cigarette butts wherever I go.

[All my Ranting]

Americans are used to walking in straight lines and crossroads. Windy Dublin seems to be quite tricky to navigate for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Well, whether they're tourists or not, I'd say I definitely relate best to Western European country's citizens- Dutch, Belgian, German, as well as British people.

If you asked me why I feel a better understanding towards those nations' people than to Americans I couldn't pin it down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

mackg wrote: »
    So what if we don't listen to songs in other languages? That doesn't seem at all weird to me, people like lyrics. I for one prefer them without the need for google translate.

So what they don't care? That doesn't make a blind bit of difference to the fact that you're going to have more stuff to talk about with an American in terms of TV, movies and music. These are fairly trivial day to day things that are easy to talk about with strangers. What exactly is the point of that second paragraph in relation to the topic?

seriously, talking about glee, the kardashians and simon cowell? is this the "culture" similarities that posters are talking about?

don't make me laugh. :D

who talks about that cr*p??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Loads of different types of American tourist from the college kids who want to blow off steam and prove they can drink in temple bar to the bus loads of conservative christian grannies and grandpas enjoying their retirement money. They all wear the most horrible clunky 'tennis shoes' , weirdly shaped jeans and college sweatshirts. All of them. It's like a uniform.

Mind you, those Italians and their black puffa jackets. Must be handing them out for free in the streets over there. Men, women, children, babies ...even the pets wear them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Sided wrote: »
    In my personal experience, trying to find a restaurant here is a daunting task. There are SO many places to choose from that you just wish you could pick something you know. Sure you guys have Burger King and McDonald's but if you aren't choosing those places, I've eaten at some pubs that have pretty low quality food. I'd rather eat low quality food that I know I can stomach (ie: McDonalds) than eat somewhere with low quality food and be unsure of the menu and be disappointed. At least with McDonald's you know what you're getting. It may not be great but it's at least familiar and you don't need to starve looking for that restaurant that your tour guide book recommended or ask a stranger on the street that sometimes looks at you like you're a moron because you don't know where O'Connell street is.. (This is for Tourists, mind you).

I ALWAYS support Americans in these types of thread but the above is a load of cack. You are complaining that we have individual bars and restaurants with their own styles of food as opposed to every food outlet being franchised and uniform?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I am pie wrote: »
    Loads of different types of American tourist from the college kids who want to blow off steam and prove they can drink in temple bar to the bus loads of conservative christian grannies and grandpas enjoying their retirement money. They all wear the most horrible clunky 'tennis shoes' , weirdly shaped jeans and college sweatshirts. All of them. It's like a uniform.

Mind you, those Italians and their black puffa jackets. Must be handing them out for free in the streets over there. Men, women, children, babies ...even the pets wear them.

Of course, we Irish are world renowned for our impeccably style and elegance:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Of course, we Irish are world renowned for our impeccably style and elegance:rolleyes:.

Yes, because that was all serious. That's how they all dress.

Insert inane rolleyes / smileys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I love American tourists, I think they're great. In my experience they're always enthusiastic and well-mannered. I love that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement