Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American Vs. European tourists.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Most americans I've met are nice. Stupidest thing an american asked me was "Is the famine still going on in Ireland?". And he was a priest, he definitely wasn't joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Sided wrote: »
    This is the most ignorant **** I've ever read. Yes, it is true that a lot of American's eat poorly but I can't say that the Irish eat that well either. I have seen my roommate eat 1 vegetable since I've lived with him apart from that it's take away/premade dinners and cookies or yogurt. The Irish have just as much fast food/take out/greasy junk as American's, its just not some franchise like McDonald's.

The overwhelming evidence, Sided, is that Americans eat far more junk/fast food and far less home cooked meals than Europeans do. Maybe that's why the incidents of obesity in the US are greater than in Europe. Every time I turn on Food Network, I am utterly horrified by the level of ignorance Americans have in relation to food; one Christmas cooking special actually tried to inform the viewer how to cut and cook carrots and parsnips - merely elementary stuff in comparison to any European cookery show.

Americans have a culture of excess, whereas Europeans have more of a culture of preservation and refinement. Also, Sided, did my last post refer to Irish (specifically) vs. Americans, or European (on a whole) vs. Americans? The UK & Ireland have been quite "Americanised" already, more so than the rest of Europe, so cherry picking Irish eating habits as an example doesn't reflect of the entire continent.
    I've never known any American to say 'do you speak American' - I wouldn't be surprised if they would say something like, 'Do you speak English' - Which is a fair question since the majority of American's don't speak any other language and if they can't, they're not going to start speaking jibberish to try to fit in..

Sided, when I said "Do you speak American", I intended to hyperbolise the general ignorance of the average American, though I have encountered numerous Americans on the internet who refer to their language as "American" and not "English".
    American's already feel stupid enough in most cases. Sadly, Most American's are not overly educated about the outside world. This is because the primary education they receive is strictly to do with their own History. However, there are many other countries that don't know anything about other countries or world events as well. I taught ESL for awhile to Chinese students and not one of them knew what the Holocaust was, that's disturbing.

Let's keep this discussion confined to Americans vs. Europeans as the OP had intended shall we. If it is the case that Americans are not as well informed about global history/geography/languages as Europeans are, then the allegory I presented in my previous post mightn't altogether be regarded as mere conjecture and, therefore, isn't as "ignorant" as you profess.
    In my personal experience, trying to find a restaurant here is a daunting task. There are SO many places to choose from that you just wish you could pick something you know. Sure you guys have Burger King and McDonald's but if you aren't choosing those places, I've eaten at some pubs that have pretty low quality food.

One independent pub/restaurant that offers low quality food is better than an entire restaurant chain (McD's, etc..) offering low quality food. It's not that hard to pick a restaurant in Europe. Sure, you might have to actually think about where you're going to eat but it's not hard. If you go on a trip to a different country, do you want to eat the same food, see the same sites or meet the same people as you did back home? I doubt it. When in Rome...
    I'd rather eat low quality food that I know I can stomach (ie: McDonalds) than eat somewhere with low quality food and be unsure of the menu and be disappointed. At least with McDonald's you know what you're getting.

Again, going to a different country, you shouldn't just expect them to have the same food as you do. Tastes are different. Are you afraid to experiment?
    It may not be great but it's at least familiar and you don't need to starve looking for that restaurant that your tour guide book recommended or ask a stranger on the street that sometimes looks at you like you're a moron because you don't know where O'Connell street is.. (This is for Tourists, mind you).

Wow, you guys think far too much about your bellies. You'd seriously spend half the day looking for a restaurant? And besides, you should bring a map with you or a guide book - they're available at the duty free in most airports.
    Some American's are actually really great people and highly educated... and for whomever mentioned that American's are loud.. I've heard some loud Irish people. Not only loud but that annoying accent, 'wheeatts teh starrry' or just random folks on the street yelling at eachother about drugs, booze, their kids, their boyfriends, etc.

Americans have a distinct nasal accent that can be heard for miles around. It's not that they're necessarily loud, it's just that they're accent is very distinct and can be pinpointed easily in a crowd of people.
    I don't support all that American's do but I do respect that for the most part they are respectable and friendly. Sure, they complain about things like the food and that's perfectly acceptable to be annoyed by

It's not acceptable just to expect things you normally have back home, like food that's familar to you. You can't just go waltz into a foreign land and complain that they don't have the same triple decker burger that you have in the states. Afterall, you're only a guest. Different cultures have different tastes and many of those tastes mightn't sit well with you. You should research the food before you go if it means so much to you.
    but you can't complain about it when Irish people are just as picky food wise, you're just used to your own shops, etc and it's certainly no excuse to poke fun or be rude about it when chances are - half the people that are annoyed with American tourists haven't even BEEN to the US and would likely feel the same way when they're in a foreign country.

Example? Anyway, this is a Europe vs. America thread, not specifically Ireland vs. America.
    Hell I know I've gained nearly a stone while here because of how different the food is here. It's ridiculous...

That's probably because you've eaten too much of it. Practice moderation.

To conclude:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sided

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I ALWAYS support Americans in these types of thread but the above is a load of cack. You are complaining that we have individual bars and restaurants with their own styles of food as opposed to every food outlet being franchised and uniform?

I knew joining a board was a bad idea.. I didn't mean that I all restaurants should be uniform no. I simply mean that I don't personally feel that its unacceptable for an American person to want to eat something that they are familiar with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

You can spot an American tourist a mile away, assuming you can't already hear them by that stage. I don't know what it is, maybe it's the clothes they wear but they nearly always stand out.

I knew joining a board was a bad idea.. I didn't mean that I all restaurants should be uniform no. I simply mean that I don't personally feel that its unacceptable for an American person to want to eat something that they are familiar with.

Then don't travel abroad. You shouldn't just expect things. If I were to go to the US, I'd have more respect and not just expect things to be the same way as they are in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I see them as walking money symbols :D but there not so bad I don't really care to be honest I've been in other countries doing the tourist things no harm in it...

But honestly I see them as walking money symbols :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I love American tourists, they really get into the whole Irish thing. I was drinking with a few last week, they are college students studying here for 6 weeks. They've seen more of Ireland in their 3 weeks here than I have in my whole life of living here.

Awesome!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Tell me something that you are 'familiar with' that you can't get here excluding fast food.

I'm not going to sit here and write some eloquent response to your 'refined' and 'witty' remarks because I'm not a staunt prick but I will say this,

Can I say the same when I watch shows like Come Dine with Me, the Irish version? I'm not here to judge the Irish but I have to say for someone that is trying to say that this is a discussion about America vs. Europe you sure are sticking up for your own... Unless you're Eastern European and not Irish than I sincerely apologize for my misjudgement.

So, the fact that you watched one show on the Food Network talking about how to cook carrots and parsnips, the 311,591,917 in the US are ignorant about food? That's a bold statement. Seems to me since you've been watching all these shows on cooking, you've certainly got some learning to do yourself or you're some stuck up food connoisseur watching the Food Network to critique it?.. Sounds to me like you have enough time on your hands to watch American cooking shows and then judge them? and then watch European cooking shows to compare? .... That's a sad life.

There is a lot of obesity in the US but do you know that from personal experience or just from what you've read/heard? In my province, the majority of those that are obese are the elderly. This is because a) they cannot afford to eat properly because fresh grown vetegables, etc are very expensive and they are on fixed incomes (2 litres of milk is nearly 6 dollars, chicken is 10.99 per lb, vegetables are double if not triple the price you pay here) and b) you need to travel by car to get anywhere.

Perservation and refinement? Right.

and after attempting to respond, I've lost interest because it appears that you've edited your post to sound less like a staunch prick and more like a somewhat educated individual attempting to have a debate. I give up on society.

Oh and by the way, it's your food that sucks and not the fact that I eat too much here.

Thanks.
    Pedant wrote: »
    The overwhelming evidence, Sided, is that Americans eat far more junk/fast food and far less home cooked meals than Europeans do. Maybe that's why the incidents of obesity in the US are greater than in Europe. Every time I turn on Food Network, I am utterly horrified by the level of ignorance Americans have in relation to food; one Christmas cooking special actually tried to inform the viewer how to cut and cook carrots and parsnips - merely elementary stuff in comparison to any European cookery show. By the way,

Americans have a culture of excess, whereas Europeans have more of a culture of preservation and refinement. Also, Sided, did my last post refer to Irish (specifically) vs. Americans, or European (on a whole) vs. Americans? The UK & Ireland have been quite "Americanised" already, more so than the rest of Europe, so cherry picking Irish eating habits as an example doesn't reflect of the entire continent.

Sided, when I said "Do you speak American", I intended to hyperbolise the general ignorance of the average American, though I have encountered numerous Americans on the internet who refer to their language as "American" and not "English".

Let's keep this discussion confined to Americans vs. Europeans as the OP had intended shall we. If it is the case that Americans are not as well informed about global history/geography/languages as Europeans are, then the allegory I presented in my previous post mightn't altogether be regarded as mere conjecture and, therefore, isn't as "ignorant" as you profess.

One independent pub/restaurant that offers low quality food is better than an entire restaurant chain (McD's, etc..) offering low quality food. It's not that hard to pick a restaurant in Europe. Sure, you might have to actually think about where you're going to eat but it's not hard. If you go on a trip to a different country, do you want to eat the same food, see the same sites or meet the same people as you did back home? I doubt it. When in Rome...

Again, going to a different country, you shouldn't just expect them to have the same food as you do. Tastes are different. Are you afraid to experiment?

Wow, you guys think far too much about your bellies. You'd seriously spend half the day looking for a restaurant? And besides, you should bring a map with you or a guide book - they're available at the duty free in most airports.

Americans have a distinct nasal accent that can be heard for miles around. It's not that they're necessarily loud, it's just that they're accent is very distinct and can be pinpointed easily in a crowd of people.

It's not acceptable just to expect things you normally have back home in a foreign country, like food that's familar to you. You can't just go waltz into a foreign land and complain that they don't have the same triple decker burger that you have in the states. Afterall, you're only a guest. Different cultures have different tastes and many of those tastes mightn't sit well with you. You should research the food before you go if it means so much to you.

Example? Anyway, this is a Europe vs. America thread, not specifically Ireland vs. America.

That's probably because you've eaten too much of it. Practice moderation.

To conclude:

• Advertisement

Also, I find that American's don't smoke as much as people from other places.

I've never felt so sick in all my life. You're walking down the street and you're dodging people with their arms lowered with a lit cigarette and people blowing cigarette smoke everywhere or straight in your face.

I swear one of these days I'm going to get my clothes burnt or my hand burnt. Also, these people just seem to flick their cigarettes behind them when they're done as if they were just walking down an empty sidewalk.

I feel like I'm dodging smoke and cigarette butts wherever I go.

Oh and by the way, it's your food that sucks and not the fact that I eat too much here.

As I said in a previous post I ALWAYS stick up for Americans in these threads but with the response above it ain't gonna be that way today, not for you anyhow missy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Oh and by the way, it's your food that sucks and not the fact that I eat too much here.Thanks.

That's ridiculous.

I agreed with you up to this point, Sided. You can cook anything you like in Ireland. Produce here is generally very good quality. It's your choice what you put in your mouth. You've put on weight because you've chosen to eat more than your recommended daily intake (unless you needed to put on weight) and not because Irish food "sucks".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

On behalf of the Irish I would like to apologise to you for making you put on a stone while here, Sided.

Yeah, American's actually wear clothes.. I guess that's a pretty good differientation.
    You can spot an American tourist a mile away, assuming you can't already hear them by that stage. I don't know what it is, maybe it's the clothes they wear but they nearly always stand out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Also, I find that American's don't smoke as much as people from other places.

I've never felt so sick in all my life. You're walking down the street and you're dodging people with their arms lowered with a lit cigarette and people blowing cigarette smoke everywhere or straight in your face.

I swear one of these days I'm going to get my clothes burnt or my hand burnt. Also, these people just seem to flick their cigarettes behind them when they're done as if they were just walking down an empty sidewalk.

I feel like I'm dodging smoke and cigarette butts wherever I go.

[All my Ranting]

I'd say that's rather subjective. I'm just back from North Carolina, had to go over for work. I was honestly shocked at the amount of people smoking there, every 2 minutes someone ran out of the office for a smoke.
    In our office here, there are exactly 2 people out of 60 who will go out for a smoke, and they would usually limit themselves to 2 or 3 cigarettes a day.

• Advertisement

This was sarcasm.
    Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    That's ridiculous.

I agreed with you up to this point, Sided. You can cook anything you like in Ireland. Produce here is generally very good quality. It's your choice what you put in your mouth. You've put on weight because you've chosen to eat more than your recommended daily intake (unless you needed to put on weight) and not because Irish food "sucks".

Yeah, American's actually wear clothes.. I guess that's a pretty good differientation.

Your doing yourself no favours now. In the process of telling people they shouldn't generalise about and knock America, you're doing the very same thing about Ireland.

The Irish walk around naked now, do they? Jaysus times have changed since my last visit a month ago...

Yeah, North America does really cater to those with this type of habbit. I don't agree with that though personally but in Canada the amount of people that smoke, at least in my province are primarily from the Middle East. I was actually shocked at how many people smoke here but that's probably due to an increase in population.
    Shenshen wrote: »
    I'd say that's rather subjective. I'm just back from North Carolina, had to go over for work. I was honestly shocked at the amount of people smoking there, every 2 minutes someone ran out of the office for a smoke.
    In our office here, there are exactly 2 people out of 60 who will go out for a smoke, and they would usually limit themselves to 2 or 3 cigarettes a day.

This was sarcasm.

So just to make this clear, you don't think Irish food sucks and you don't blame Irish food for your weight gain?

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Your doing yourself no favours now. In the process of telling people they shouldn't generalise about and knock America, you're doing the very same thing about Ireland.

The Irish walk around naked now, do they? Jaysus times have changed since my last visit a month ago...

It makes me angry because I can't even believe that people are judging people based on these reasons.

I love Ireland, I love the people and that's why I moved here. The food is great, don't get me wrong. The amount of fresh baked breads and goods (probably half the reason I gained some weight here, that and I'm totally out of my element) but seriously, the way we speak and the way we dress? I can't believe it.

• Advertisement

It makes me angry because I can't even believe that people are judging people based on these reasons.

I love Ireland, I love the people and that's why I moved here. The food is great, don't get me wrong. The amount of fresh baked breads and goods (probably half the reason I gained some weight here, that and I'm totally out of my element) but seriously, the way we speak and the way we dress? I can't believe it.

You commented how some of speak and dress too though. Tit for tat. Doesn't help your argument.

Didn't tobacco first come from America? Aren't American tobacco companies to blame for the prevalence of smoking in society today?

Let me get this straight; you think our food sucks, that we're responsible for your weight gain, you think we don't dress appropriately and you think the smokers here (because there aren't smokers in any other country) are plentiful and disgusting and thoughtless. And you were complaining that people shouldn't give American tourists such a hard time?

You sound like great fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Let it be.

Sided, are you a Republican? You sound like one.

You might find that very hard to believe, but that's the easiest way to spot any nationality. Nothing particular to Americans, they dress and talk like Americans.
    Same as Germans dress and talk like Germans, Nigerians dress and talk like Nigerians and Irish dress and talk like Irish.

Some very one-Sided opinions here. :pac:

Jaxxy wrote: »
    Let me get this straight; you think our food sucks, that we're responsible for your weight gain, you think we don't dress appropriately and you think the smokers here (because there aren't smokers in any other country) are plentiful and disgusting and thoughtless. And you were complaining that people shouldn't give American tourists such a hard time?

I'm not American, I'm Canadian. Does Pedant have followers that are coming to his rescue or am I just getting bombarded by people who are obviously misinterpreting me.. I guess maybe if you could hear my extremely irritating voice and after which of course judging me on my apparent Canadian dress sense, we might be able to come to some sort of understanding.

I never said it was the Irish that smoke. I said that in my experience there is a lot of smoking here, I didn't even mention who I see that's smoking?

Yikes.

You might find that very hard to believe, but that's the easiest way to spot any nationality. Nothing particular to Americans, they dress and talk like Americans.
    Same as Germans dress and talk like Germans, Nigerians dress and talk like Nigerians and Irish dress and talk like Irish.

I don't think German's dress typically German. The only thing that I've noticed is that they do tend to use a similar bag.. I have numerous German friends here so no.. I don't think that its easy to assume a person is from a particular place based on how they dress.

No, I'm a Liberal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

I don't think he sounds like the steorytipical (often truthful) view of Republicans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Americans all the way,I've nothing in common with the Europeans except a **** currency.

I don't think German's dress typically German. The only thing that I've noticed is that they do tend to use a similar bag.. I have numerous German friends here so no.. I don't think that its easy to assume a person is from a particular place based on how they dress.

I am German. Trust me, I'll spot them a mile off. They do dress differently, and it's rather obvious.

Jaxxy wrote: »

I'm not American, I'm Canadian. Does Pedant have followers that are coming to his rescue or am I just getting bombarded by people who are obviously misinterpreting me.. I guess maybe if you could hear my extremely irritating voice and after which of course judging me on my apparent Canadian dress sense, we might be able to come to some sort of understanding.

I never said it was the Irish that smoke. I said that in my experience there is a lot of smoking here, I didn't even mention who I see that's smoking?

Yikes.

Oh I love Americans. I said so a page or two back. I'm just calling you out. You can't argue that people are being stereotypical and making unfair judgments and then do the same thing yourself.

I don't think anyone misinterpreted you either.

Americans are great, it's the Canadians you have to watch out for. :pac:

Yeah, we're fiesty alright.
    MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Americans are great, it's the Canadians you have to watch out for. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Yikes.

Welcome to Ireland, Sided. Enjoy your time here. Its a great wee country and I love it deeply. For your own mental well being, I shall give you a word from the wise - avoid these nitpicking arguments.

Let the other side "win" the argument, walk off, try some of our great seafood, a one and one, a nice pint of Arthurs or just simply a walk off and enjoy one of our many scenic locations.

Trust me on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

sided - do you get very insulted if people mistake you for an American (like the Irish/English thing here).

I find Canadians do NOT have the loud voice of Americans - they don't make themselves as obvious to people. I think they are a lot more cosmopolitan than Americans (from various visits to Canada),

Sided, I think most people in Ireland like people from the North American continent bar the loud of abnoxious few who you come across anywhere. Hope you settle down well here.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

PS- Americans smoke just as much as us europeans, especially on the east coast. Living there, surrounded by smokers got me back on them! Bastids.

PPS- This website is of no reflection of Irish society at large.

Probably right. Thanks for the advice! (:
    IrishAm wrote: »
    Welcome to Ireland, Sided. Enjoy your time here. Its a great wee country and I love it deeply. For your own mental well being, I shall give you a word from the wise - avoid these nitpicking arguments.

Let the other side "win" the argument, walk off, try some of our great seafood, a one and one, a nice pint of Arthurs or just simply a walk off and enjoy one of our many scenic locations.

Trust me on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Most americans I've met are nice. Stupidest thing an american asked me was "Is the famine still going on in Ireland?". And he was a priest, he definitely wasn't joking.

He was probably bitching about the size of our food portions

*She
    Tym wrote: »
    I don't think he sounds like the steorytipical (often truthful) view of Republicans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I love american tourists. No offence to them but they have a certain "simplicity" to them that I think is great.I haven't met an American who is arrogant or ill mannered.

I find they are one of the few groups of tourists who actuall say Please and Thank You.

I guess maybe I'm just so used to seeing them that I don't notice?

I wonder if people can spot that I'm Canadian? Hm.. Doubtful since whenever someone asks me where I'm from they are always shocked.
    I am German. Trust me, I'll spot them a mile off. They do dress differently, and it's rather obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

At least they tip well unlike the majority of continental Europeans . Miserly fookers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

seriously, talking about glee, the kardashians and simon cowell? is this the "culture" similarities that posters are talking about?

don't make me laugh. :D

who talks about that cr*p??

Because that is the sum total of all music, tv and film. Are you taking the piss?
    IrishAm wrote: »
    PS- Americans smoke just as much as us europeans, especially on the east coast. Living there, surrounded by smokers got me back on them! Bastids.

PPS- This website forum is of no reflection of Irish society the website at large.

I do get insulted but not because I'm insulted to be mistaken for an American persay but because of the negative opinions of people regarding American's here.. I guess a little bit too because I am Canadian and it would be nice to be identified from where I am from. I don't get angry, I just correct people..

'Are you from America?'
    'No, I'm from Canada!'

(:
    sided - do you get very insulted if people mistake you for an American (like the Irish/English thing here).

I find Canadians do NOT have the loud voice of Americans - they don't make themselves as obvious to people. I think they are a lot more cosmopolitan than Americans (from various visits to Canada),

If you're Canadian, why do you act so American, aye? Why are you defending the yanks? I thought Canadians were far less confrontational and ignorant than Americans. Has Canada become the 51st state or something?
    No, I'm a Liberal.
    How can a monarchist be a liberal?

If you're Canadian, why do you act so American, aye? Why are you defending the yanks? I thought Canadians were far less confrontational and ignorant than Americans. Has Canada become the 51st state or something?

How can a monarchist be a liberal?

It's Eh not Aye.. I'm ignorant and I love it. You make more friends that way.

Confrontational? I'm pretty sure you've summed up that definition all on your own.

Thanks for demonstrating the type of person I don't want to get to know here in Ireland!

Enjoy the weather.

• Advertisement
Advertisement