Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American Vs. European tourists.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sided

You'd have to know something about Canadian politics to understand that one. (:
    Pedant wrote: »

How can a monarchist be a liberal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Sided wrote: »
    I guess maybe I'm just so used to seeing them that I don't notice?

I wonder if people can spot that I'm Canadian? Hm.. Doubtful since whenever someone asks me where I'm from they are always shocked.

Well, I wouldn't be able to spot an Algerian, or a Norwegian. But I've seen so many Germans in my life that I recognise the patterns.
    That may well be the reason people don't spot you as Canadian... they haven't seen enough to be able to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

It's Eh not Aye.. I'm ignorant and I love it. You make more friends that way.

Confrontational? I'm pretty sure you've summed up that definition all on your own.

Thanks for demonstrating the type of person I don't want to get to know here in Ireland!

Enjoy the weather.

Maybe you Canadians have too much German blood - you've absolutely no sense of humour, do you! You're too confrontational! You responded to my first post on this thread with a big long critical discursion on how you thought I was wrong, when you didn't take it for its comic value (weak as it was). You're too serious!

Maybe you Canadians too much German blood - you've absolutely no sense of humour, do you! You're too confrontational! You responded to my first post on this thread with a big long critical discursion on how you thought I was wrong, when you didn't take it for it comic value (weak as it was). You're too serious!

As a German, I take offense at this.
    Give me an hour to work out a detailed reply. :p

(:

Even your smileys are all backward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I do get insulted but not because I'm insulted to be mistaken for an American persay but because of the negative opinions of people regarding American's here.. I guess a little bit too because I am Canadian and it would be nice to be identified from where I am from. I don't get angry, I just correct people..

'Are you from America?'
    'No, I'm from Canada!'

(:

Sided let me tell you something about Europe: we bitch. You think Europe is united and harmonious? Me arse! Many countries dislike each other for no other reason than the fact that they dress differently or are too loud or wear sandals, for example. I live in Spain. The Spanish don't like the French, think Northern Europeans are cold and think the Portuguese are beneath them. It seems where you're from you actually like each other. Not the case here in Europe. We haven't singled out America to bitch about, we (Europeans) do it to plenty of other countries too. The failure of the single currency and the EU is partly to do with this.

Don't take this stuff seriously. I used to get a bit offended when the Spanish generalised about us Northern Europeans till I realised we often do the same about Southern European countries. It's all bollocks and the best course of action is to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I do get insulted but not because I'm insulted to be mistaken for an American persay but because of the negative opinions of people regarding American's here.. I guess a little bit too because I am Canadian and it would be nice to be identified from where I am from. I don't get angry, I just correct people..

'Are you from America?'
    'No, I'm from Canada!'

(:
    sided - do you get very insulted if people mistake you for an American (like the Irish/English thing here).

I find Canadians do NOT have the loud voice of Americans - they don't make themselves as obvious to people. I think they are a lot more cosmopolitan than Americans (from various visits to Canada),

Honestly I do believe the negativity directed towards Americans isn't as widespread as people think, or maybe I'm just not exposed to it. Anyway it's just ignorance and the best thing to do is remember that and try to ignore it.

The Irish get mistaken for English while abroad too, so we can relate!

Shenshen wrote: »
    As a German, I take offense at this.

It was a Faulty Towers quote, in fairness.

I am actually very light hearted but I take a strong stand about where I'm from.. Don't even want to get me started if you're going to tell me anything about Canada!!! :P

Secondly, I have a poor sense of sarcasm or humour online. It's one of my faults, I must say.

I am just really sick of hearing about how crappy America is and how terrible American's are when most of the people I've met from Ireland have gone to the US instead of Canada for holidays and spoken about how great it is but then always think Canadians are so great and I'm always confused.

Regardless, I have wasted too much energy on negativity today. I'd prefer to continue on with some light hearted discussion.
    Maybe you Canadians have too much German blood - you've absolutely no sense of humour, do you! You're too confrontational! You responded to my first post on this thread with a big long critical discursion on how you thought I was wrong, when you didn't take it for it comic value (weak as it was). You're too serious!

I can tell the difference between an Irish accent and an English accent. I learned about this mistake before I ever even had a chance to make it.

I love the Irish though, to be fair. Accent is gorgeous even if I can't understand it in some cases!

Jaxxy wrote: »
    Honestly I do believe the negativity directed towards Americans isn't as widespread as people think, or maybe I'm just not exposed to it. Anyway it's just ignorance and the best thing to do is remember that and try to ignore it.

The Irish get mistaken for English while abroad too, so we can relate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

Somehow I would expect a lot of smoking in North Carolina--tobacco was (perhaps still is) big business there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Americans are much better tourists. They come here because they want to see Ireland. 90% of the continentals I meet are here because it was cheaper to get here. They walk around and don't buy anything. You would be hard pressed to see an american tour group with one person who hadn't bought all around them.

I am actually very light hearted but I take a strong stand about where I'm from..

I thought you said you were from Canada! You're supposedly not from America, so why then are you taking a "strong stand" about the yankie doodles down south!?
    I am just really sick of hearing about how crappy America is and how terrible American's are when most of the people I've met from Ireland have gone to the US instead of Canada for holidays and spoken about how great it is but then always think Canadians are so great and I'm always confused.

Most people don't go to Canada for holidays because there's nothing in Canada except a load of beavers and beady-eyed feckers who's heads are dislodged from their body's above the jaw.
    Regardless, I have wasted too much energy on negativity today. I'd prefer to continue on with some light hearted discussion.
    But you're the one who made this thread more serious, if I recall...

You can thank my post now.

Americans are much better tourists. They come here because they want to see Ireland. 90% of the continentals I meet are here because it was cheaper to get here. They walk around and don't buy anything. You would be hard pressed to see an american tour group with one person who hadn't bought all around them.

It's a greater cost for Americans to venture to Ireland (or any country outside North America or those in the Caribbean). After you factor the paltry amount of vacation time allowed, the extortionate cost of airfare and the time required for actual travel (~ 8 hours to fly from the eastern US to Dublin), one would want to make the most of the experience after arriving here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

You can thank my post now.

You can thank me bollix. Leave this Canadian dude, be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I worked as a tour guide a few years back, and I'd have to say, I'd vote for the Americans. They just seem so appreciate as they wander around the place. Plop an American in a medieval castle, and he'll crap his pants with excitement; plop a German in the same, and he'll be like , Meh, we have better. So Americans it is. Plus it's quite funny watching them in a pub ordering a glass of guinness and trying to fit in.

IrishAm wrote: »

Thanks you, IrishAm's bollix.

As for the Canadian. He's a badge who either has lived too long in America or lives too near the US-Canadian border.

Einhard wrote: »
    Plus it's quite funny watching them in a pub ordering a glass of guinness and trying to fit in.

And wondering what the fuck is going on whilst she settles.

In the words of the warrior poet, Omar Little, patience muddafugga.

• Advertisement

I'm a dudette to be fair! haha.. (:
    IrishAm wrote: »

Shenshen wrote: »
    You might find that very hard to believe, but that's the easiest way to spot any nationality. Nothing particular to Americans, they dress and talk like Americans.
    Same as Germans dress and talk like Germans, Nigerians dress and talk like Nigerians and Irish dress and talk like Irish.

I wish people dressed according to nationality. Multinational apparel brands peddle the same stuff all over.

I'm a dudette to be fair! haha.. (:

Sweet. I am 25 and from Dublin.

I am a recovering alcoholic and cocaine addict that is about to get divorced.

I have me own gaff, small business and two degrees!

Hahaha

Madame K wrote: »
    I wish people dressed according to nationality. Multinational apparel brands peddle the same stuff all over.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But if H&M actually did that, they'd be doing precious little buisiness in Ireland. Or anywhere else outside of Germany, really.

Most localise their collections to suit local tastes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I think the obvious answer is we relate as europeans to europeans more,but that said there are americans who are very up to date on european issues,and know the lingo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

mackg wrote: »
    Just to be clear OP when you say Americans, do you just mean people from the U.S.?

Yes, I mean people from the US. Irish people invariably refer to people from the US as American, as they do themselves. Plus they are many more US tourists to Ireland than from any other country in the Americas.

I think ones experience of tourists in Ireland is very much dependent on what part of the country you are from. For decades the south west, Kerry etc had the whole American tourist thing pretty much sown up because of the compulsory Shannon stop over. With the exception of Dublin, other parts of the country had few Americans and the vast majority of tourists were European.

I live in the northwest and I would estimate less than 10% of visitors here are American.

Northern Ireland has huge potential to attract American tourists as there are probably more Irish-Americans of Scotch-Irish ancestry than there are of southern, Irish catholic ancestry.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Canadians have the world fooled. Polite my sweet brown ass. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

It depends where the American is from and how educated they are.

There are a lot of dumb, conservative Americans who I cannot relate to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

i get on alot more with europeans
    except english people, they seem to hate me as much as i hate them haha

americans on the other hand, if they didnt have that poxy accent i wouldnt mind them, feels like they always have a blocked nose when their talking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

European all the way. Also it's fun speaking you're very basic whatever language it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

The Dutch are a great bunch o' lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 jarhead4ever

Well I live in southern California specifically long beach CA so I see tons of tourists and come into contact with tons more foreigners because I work at one of the most prestigious universitys in the world.and the ones I like the most to talk to are the Russians I've traveled the world during my military days i.e. Kuwait , Iraq ,Somalia,Japan,Spain ,England , Egypt.you get my point anyways the Russians or at least countries of the old USSR there just passionate about there country as well as living in the US they know the true danger of where all this European liberalism takes us

Nice like most Americans IM Irish or Italian lol. But seriously my last name is eagen which I hear is a popular name across the pond.truth be told I love living in this country it's not perfect but it's the most forgiving of systems .and was protected on the backs of many a Irishman

Sweet. I am 25 and from Dublin.

I am a recovering alcoholic and cocaine addict that is about to get divorced.

I have me own gaff, small business and two degrees!

Hahaha[/Quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

Americans V other Europeans? Jesus Cork people take the biscuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Well I live in southern California specifically long beach CA so I see tons of tourists and come into contact with tons more foreigners because I work at one of the most prestigious universitys in the world.and the ones I like the most to talk to are the Russians I've traveled the world during my military days i.e. Kuwait , Iraq ,Somalia,Japan,Spain ,England , Egypt.you get my point anyways the Russians or at least countries of the old USSR there just passionate about there country as well as living in the US they know the true danger of where all this European liberalism takes us

What a well written anti-liberalism argument. Well done.

Right I guess you've never heard of new York city or south beach Miami or the hamptoms or Hollywood and vine or Hawaii or Alaska we have all that in one country name me a country who has all that oh and btw go look up the top 20 colleges in the world and tell me how many are American

Alternatively, on seeing Neuschwanstein "Hey, I know that one! This one was modelled on Disneyland, right?"[/Quote]

You messing with me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

My friend Chandra in Kolkata loves to tell about an incident involving American tourists in his city. One day he was out and about and saw a group of American tourists on a walking tour with an Indian guide. It was a part of the city where semi-dried cow dung had been fashioned into round cakes, which looked rather like natural cow pats, and stuck to gable ends of buildings and above eye level on high walls to complete the drying process into domestic fuel.:D

One American lady noticed them and asked the guide: "What are they?":confused:

He replied: "That's cow dung, madam.":)

She turned to her friend in astonishment and asked: "Gee, how did they shit up there?":D:)

Was that what it is? I was reading that 5 times at least to try and make sense of it ...

Considering the time of year it is (Spanish language student season), I have to say that this particular sub-section of a nationality are my least favourite, by a rather vast margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Madame K wrote: »
    It's a greater cost for Americans to venture to Ireland (or any country outside North America or those in the Caribbean). After you factor the paltry amount of vacation time allowed, the extortionate cost of airfare and the time required for actual travel (~ 8 hours to fly from the eastern US to Dublin), one would want to make the most of the experience after arriving here.

I don't know what plane you take, but it certainly does not take 8 hours from the Eastern coast of the US to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I'll never forget touring around Tel Aviv with an American chick who looked up at me from her guidebook when we were in Rabin Square and declared;
    "isn't it SO ironic??"
    "what?"
    "that Rabin got assassinated in his own square"

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

american tourists are usually well behaved on 'vacation' and respectful to the hosts.

europeans generally are not.

perhaps this has something to do with american's percieving they have a bad reputationa and thus behaving carefully, while europeans generally scoff and sneer at everyone else and are less respectfull.

imo within the eu, the worst tourits are english, german and spanish. But then again I live somewhere were it is mostly young people from those countries who visit.

Advertisement