Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy UCC

• 26-06-2012 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I was just wondering if anybody here had the first year book list for pharmacy UCC ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Moved from LC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Hey, they didn't really give us a book list for the year, but each module had sort of a main text around which most of the content was based. These were the main ones I used last year, found them all fairly good:
    Organic Chemistry -McMurry
    Pharmaceutics -Aulton
    Human Physiology -Fox
    Pharmacology -Rang and Dale
    Biochem -Lehninger
    I didn't buy any books at all last year until a few months in, they're all in the library anyway so it's easy to check them out first before blowing €€€ on them :p. Any other books they mention I wouldn't even think about buying them because you won't need them that much ;). (I think they're all the main ones, if I think of any more I'll come back again!)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sheeba7

Hi , I was just wondering what book they start off with in first year pharm UCC ?
    I was just thinking I might as well buy one book to see what it is like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

There is no point in you buying a book until you start,,,,,

The book really wont make sense until you start lectures (if it even does then)

And you will only cover select sections/paragraphs from the book.

You can get all of these books from the library in UCC for free from the day you get your student card,,

I would wait until then.

Edit: Not to sound dramatic either but if you start just reading Aultons without having it in context (i.e what you need to take away from a chapter) it will probably turn you off pharmacy

• Advertisement

Davie89 wrote: »
    Not to sound dramatic either but if you start just reading Aultons without having it in context (i.e what you need to talk away from a chapter) it will probably turn you off pharmacy

I was trying to think of a book that they would actually get use out of if they bought it. I don't think the stuff in the first section (solubility, diperse systems, etc.) of the book is really too advanced either, a skim through it couldn't do any harm imo. They could always look for a pdf of any book online if they really wanted to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

They don't start off with any one book. There are loads of subjects and they all have books. Relax and wait till you get started and they'll recommend books. Lecture notes are far more important than books anyway. Learn the notes and then go to the book if you need to get more explanation. No matter what they say exams are from lecture notes.

By far the most common way I've seen people failing exams (besides doing zero work) is getting bogged down in ridiculous detail from books and forgetting the lecture notes.

Advertisement