Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert or College Degree.

Options
  • 26-06-2012 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I left school at 15 without leaving cert, I'm now 24.
    I was considering applying for leaving cert programme at local VEC school.
    However i've since been reading about ''college for mature students'' and leaving cert is not required.

Should i do leaving cert first (it's a 2 year course)
    Or go straight to college as a mature student?

How would a resume look with a college degree but no leaving cert?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi iLost,

Its not so much that your CV would suffer without a Leaving Cert but taking on some form of education prior to applying to college would be a good idea, especially since you left school at a comparatively young age.:)
    Colleges do like to see recent evidence of prior learning from adult applicants. It proves that they are committed to learning, that they are familiar with the demands of study and generally have a better understanding of what they want to achieve with education.
    Generally having some recent prior education on your college applicant looks good. :)

There are a number of different preparatory courses you could look at before applying for college. These include FETAC courses, the Leaving Cert, 3rd level Access courses, etc. Also brushing up on IT skills would be useful.

You can have a look at the national courses database http://www.qualifax.ie. This will give info on about 95% of all courses in the country, not just college ones.

If you want to look at access courses to third level the Mature Students Ireland website has a decent list here: http://www.maturestudents.ie/beta/images/msibrochureall.pdf

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Very good post above, and I would echo the sentiment that persuing some sort of education prior to college would be a good idea, for two reasons.

First of all, it's good to get back in to the rythm of things. A decade or so is a long time out of education for anyone, and it is good to get back with something not too intense, which leads to my second point, that it's also a lot more unlikely that you will get accepted to many college courses (as a mature student) if you haven't demonstrated both a willingness and ability to study up to a certain level.

The leaving cert would give you some excellent fundamental skills, such as a more senior understanding of Maths and English, both are really the key subjects, as almost any degree will require a strong grasp of one or the other.

If you don't wish to make the commitment to the leaving cert and 2 years of study (although you're young and I would recommend it), the best alternative (in my opinion) if you have a particular course of area of study in mind, would be to apply to the access course for college, which basically will prepare you for the course in mind and give you the "basics" before hand, and based on your performance in that class and your grasp of the content, you then move on to the main course.

Best of luck with it anyway, and whatever you do, don't be over awed or daunted by any of the courses out there, or the idea of going back to college. Nothing is as difficult as we build up in our heads, and knowing a lot of mature students (including myself), everybody was very suprised at themselves and how well they cope compared to how they thought it would be coming in, and given the times we're in, with little work and perhaps not long remaining on free fees, there really isn't a better time to get back to education and build a better future for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

The above posters have made good suggestions. I'd also recommend looking up access courses in various third level colleges. They're a one year course for mature students designed to help you get back into education and bring you up to college level with essay writing/maths etc depending on what sort of courses you're considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sean1976

I totally agree with the above postings. The last time I sat in a classroom was 17 years ago. The opportunity came up last year to do a Vtos course which helped bring me up to a level where I have now been accepted to trinity.
    So I would advice you to do the leaving cert or any fetac level 5 course. They will give you the basic tools for college and will show any college that you are serious about advancing your education.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes - if you don't want to do the leaving cert an access course might be another option to look at

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 iLost

Thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it.

I've decided to do the leaving cert first, then move on to college.
    Also, I'm moving from my hometown......
    Friends and family are too much of a distraction right now!
    I know i'll do much better if i move away from them, and concentrate 100% on my studies.

Any recommendations for a college/VEC school for adult leaving cert courses?
    Anywhere in Ireland, Private or Public.

Thanks again! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

If you dont want to do the LC..Do one of those post leaving courses,its better to do at least one year of that before going on to college,a lot of the modules/subjects they give you can be very heavy duty,and you dont get the assitance you get when you are in secondary school,you have to put in the work yourself..so i would look into what courses i can do before going on to college,maybe try the certificate fetac courses or something along those lines..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

iLost wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a college/VEC school for adult leaving cert courses?
    Anywhere in Ireland, Private or Public.

Thanks again! :)

If you're considering Dublin as a place to move to, Pearse College (City of Dublin VEC) in Crumlin has a dedicated adult second (or first) chance Leaving Cert. course. Make sure to check out any entitlements you have for going back to education.
    There are plenty of really good VEC colleges around, no need to spend money and go private.

Advertisement