Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not another bloody referendum

• 26-06-2012 2:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

So the referendum on children's rights will take place before the end of they year.
    This has been promised since 2006 - in debate for much longer than that.
    Why was this referendum not added to the fiscal treaty referendum?
    I would think that the turn out for this is going to be extremely low as the voting public gets referendum apathy.

How much does it cost to hold a referendum, closing schools, paying for all those people to sit there all day, ballot boxes, transport, counting centers, etc.

I know it is an important issue, but so is any referendum, but that doesn't stop the turn out getting lower and lower,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

They wanted to hold this one as a stand alone referendum. Less chance of people voting against it for the sake of voting against the government as might be the case with euro referenda. It will focus the mind on the issue and not a protest vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Also the Bill is not ready to be published either. It's a very sensitive issue and I don't think we should be rushing it when it comes to protection of children in the Constitution. I don't think it's necessarily referendum apathy, I think that where the issue is important people will come out to vote - where people are largely undecided on an issue or feel that they don't want to vote a certain way but it must be done; they rightfully abstain. I think a large part of that was represented in the recent referendum.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

They wanted to hold this one as a stand alone referendum. Less chance of people voting against it for the sake of voting against the government as might be the case with euro referenda. It will focus the mind on the issue and not a protest vote.
    I don't disagree that this is the case, but it is a truly shocking reflection on our attitude as an electorate to our responsibilities as voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

stoneill wrote: »

How much does it cost to hold a referendum, closing schools, paying for all those people to sit there all day, ballot boxes, transport, counting centers, etc.

I heard the figure of 20 million cost on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I don't disagree that this is the case, but it is a truly shocking reflection on our attitude as an electorate to our responsibilities as voters.

After what's been revealed to have happened during the last few decades (corruption, church child abuse, child abuse, banks etc...), all of which supervised by Governments voted by various electorates of this country, I don't think it's a shocking reflection on our attitude as an electorate to our responsibilities as voters.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Slydice wrote: »
    After what's been revealed to have happened during the last few decades (corruption, church child abuse, child abuse, banks etc...), all of which supervised by Governments voted by various electorates of this country, I don't think it's a shocking reflection on our attitude as an electorate to our responsibilities as voters.
    If you think it reflects well on a voter that he or she will vote to deny children enhanced constitutional protections just to piss off the government of the day, then we quite simply don't have a common framework for a discussion, because I just can't imagine any rational basis whatsoever for believing that.

Maybe you were making a subtler point, in which case I apologise for missing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If you think it reflects well on a voter that he or she will vote to deny children enhanced constitutional protections just to piss off the government of the day, then we quite simply don't have a common framework for a discussion, because I just can't imagine any rational basis whatsoever for believing that.

Maybe you were making a subtler point, in which case I apologise for missing it.

Yeah I think you missed my point.

My point was only: I don't think it's shocking.

The reason being that cos of all the ****e this country has gone through, I find it difficult to be shocked that we need to seperate and simplify stuff for the people who will be voting "just in case".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

This is the type of legislation that governments are elected to deal with rather than going to referendum at every turn. If the constitution wont allow the government to provide child safety legislation then the referendum should be to modernise the constitution.

This is the type of legislation that governments are elected to deal with rather than going to referendum at every turn. If the constitution wont allow the government to provide child safety legislation then the referendum should be to modernise the constitution.
    That's what it is... that's what all referenda are about. There is a process by which the President can force legislation to a so-called "ordinary" referendum; but that has never been done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

I heard the figure of 20 million cost on the radio.

So roughly €6.50 for everyone eligable to vote? If you don't cast your vote, you should be made to pay €20 fine. & €40 if you're not even registered.

That way roughly 50% turnout, the other 50% pay for the cost of the whole thing! :D

(Obviously we'd need to have weekend voting/postal voting for this, so never going to happen)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

They have a form of direct democracy in California in the USA.
    it is possible to have loads of referendum( ballot proposition ) on same day.

For example on November 2008
    they had 13 on one day
    November 4, 2008

1 – State Legislature amended proposition after a number was already designated; amended version became Proposition 1A.
    1A – Passed – California High Speed Rail Bond. S.B. 1856.
    2 – Passed – Treatment of Farm Animals. Statute.
    3 – Passed – Children's Hospital Bond Act. Grant Program. Statute.
    4 – Failed – Waiting Period and Parental Notification Before Termination of Minor's Pregnancy. Constitutional Amendment. (third attempt at Proposition 73)
    5 – Failed – Nonviolent Offenders. Sentencing, Parole and Rehabilitation. Statute.
    6 – Failed – Criminal Penalties and Laws. Public Safety Funding. Statute.
    7 – Failed – Renewable Energy. Statute.
    8 – Passed – Amends the California Constitution so that "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California." Initiative Constitutional Amendment.[1]
    9 – Passed – Criminal Justice System. Victims' Rights. Parole. Constitutional Amendment and Statute.
    10 – Failed – Alternative Fuel Vehicles and Renewable Energy. Statute.
    11 – Passed – Redistricting. Constitutional Amendment and Statute.
    12 – Passed – Veterans' Bond Act of 2008. S.B. 1572.

http://voterguide.sos.ca.gov/past/2008/general/title-sum/prop8-title-sum.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

The Iona Institute has already fired its first bow. A yes vote is not a foregone conclusion at all, particularly if there is a low turn out.

I also think Coughlan/McKenna will damage the campaign, we are going to have to listen to some sinister, deep pocketed forces!

Iona just made me think... if anything about abortion is included in this I'm voting 'no'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

There won't be anything about abortion in it, but that won't stop Iona and the no side inferring there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

stoneill wrote: »
    So the referendum on children's rights will take place before the end of they year.
    This has been promised since 2006 - in debate for much longer than that.
    Why was this referendum not added to the fiscal treaty referendum?
    I would think that the turn out for this is going to be extremely low as the voting public gets referendum apathy.

I know it is an important issue, but so is any referendum, but that doesn't stop the turn out getting lower and lower,

Money more important than rights of children according to current and successive Irish Governments:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

What will either answer mean for the country? Does Yes mean more rights or the status quo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What are they actually proposing adding to/removing from the constitution? "Child protection" and "rights of child" mean different things to different people.

Piste wrote: »
    What are they actually proposing adding to/removing from the constitution? "Child protection" and "rights of child" mean different things to different people.
    We don't know the wording of the proposed bill yet AFAIK. I know next to nothing about family law, but surely it will be the inclusion of some fundamental right to protect children in the Constitution.

Advertisement