Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

African taxi drivers and the Gardai......................

• 26-06-2012 9:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭

........................always seem to come in for some bad press every so often and im sure many of you opened this up thinking it was going to be another bashing thread. Well sorry to dissapoint you it aint.............

So it starts Sat night. I got a cab home. Got into the house and realised I had no phone. Thought I had left it at friends place so went to bed thinking I could get it the next morning. Alas it was not there. I called into Store st Garda station but it had not been handed in. What was I to do?? I remembered I had the Find My Iphone app installed so I went to the nearest internet cafe and input my details and there it was....................in a house in Enfield. Now it was ringing so I came to the conclusion that it was in the cab that dropped me home. Why??Well as it was still ringing I presumed he had not found it and if someone had robbed it surely they would have turned it of!! Lucky guess!!

So I went to google maps/streetview and found the address and his house. I went to local garda station beside my office yesterday and explained the story to them. I showed them print out of the address, pic of house, description of phone etc. They took my details and would look into it for me. They even suggested calling the local guards in Enfield and see what they could do. So I did and got through to a guard. Wont name him but he was an absolute gent. He took the details over the phone and said he would see what he could do. A half hour later he called back saying he called to the house and got a number for the taxi driver. Alas the number would not connect but I had his name.

So I googled his name and managed to get his car reg plate and his taxi license number which I then gave to the guard. An hour later there was a call to the office from the taxi driver. He had my phone. He had only found it when the guard had explained it was lost and possibly in his cab. He then came across town and delivered it to my office saving me about 300 squids to buy a new one.

So I would like to say thanks to David the cab driver and to the guards in Enfield who both have a tough enough job as it is but went out of there way to help me out and I very much appreciate it. oh and whomever designed the find my iphone app!!

TL:DR Cab driver and guards do a stellar job and help me retrieve my phone after I left it in cab.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

They turk our phones!

But promptly returned them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

You'd make a great stalker.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

What has the fact that he was African got to do with anything?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

So what does the fact that he's African have to do with it?

Edit: damn beaten to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Why did you put people to all that trouble? locate address, break into car, retrieve phone. No-ones the wiser.

• Advertisement

Did you give the poor fecker the fare for dropping your phone back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

smash wrote: »
    So what does the fact that he's African have to do with it?

Edit: damn beaten to it

Because African taxi drivers often get a bad reputation and OP wanted to share a great experience where the dude went above and beyond for his customer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Did you give the poor fecker the fare for dropping your phone back?

I gave him a tenner as thanks to Ulsterbank thats all I had on me but I have his number and will endeavor to call him whenever I need a cab in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Liam Neeson is that you?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

How did you know he was African? Was he wearing traditional African tribesman's accoutrements like this?

Edit: Why the **** do people bring expensive phones with them on boozy nights out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wasn't sure if I was in for an African bashing thread or a Gardaí bashing thread here or both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

How did you know he was African? Was he wearing traditional African tribesman's accoutrements like this?

Looks like a "David" to me, I don't see your stereotypical point. :pac:

He had the irish flag on his car but it was backwards.

chin_grin wrote: »
    Looks like a "David" to me, I don't see your stereotypical point. :pac:

Every David I know looks exactly like that and I've known a few over the years;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

He didn't really do anything to find you did he? It was you who did all the tracking. I wonder if he'd found the phone before you found him, would he have went to the trouble? (and I say that regardless of WHERE he is from) Scary how much information you claim you were able to get from google though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

ok so you done most of the detective work yourself and you want to thank the guard who pretended to make a report and thank the taxi driver who 'just found' your phone when you knocked up to his house in a squad car... hmmmm :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Fair play to driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Andrew33 wrote: »
    He didn't really do anything to find you did he? It was you who did all the tracking. I wonder if he'd found the phone before you found him, would he have went to the trouble? (and I say that regardless of WHERE he is from) Scary how much information you claim you were able to get from google though?

^^^^^^^^
    This!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

He had the irish flag on his car but it was backwards.

Are you sure that it was an Irish flag backwards.

The flag of the Republic of the Ivory Coast is a tricolour of Orange, White and Green. Orange is the hoist side whereas with the irish flag green is the hoist side.

If it had been an Irish flag there would not have been any fixings on the green side for the halyard. So; more than likely it was an Ivorian flag.

• Advertisement

Condatis wrote: »

The flag of the Republic of the Ivory Coast is a tricolour of Orange, White and Green. Orange is the hoist side whereas with the irish flag green is the hoist side.

If it had been an Irish flag there would not have been any fixings on the green side for the halyard. So; more than likely it was an Ivorian flag.

so not just are they robbin' our jobs, they're robbin' our national flag too?? Well thats just fcukin disgraceful :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thats the joke square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Why did I start reading that in an Alan Partridge voice about halfway through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Serious detective work there OP.

Frag P.I. just doesn't have the same ring to it though.

Andrew33 wrote: »

Well in fairness to the guard he went down to the guys house on my word with no proof to enquire. And regarding the taxi driver when notified of lost phone he looked in his car and found it and called straight away. He could have just said he did not find it and sold it.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Serious detective work there OP.

Frag P.I. just doesn't have the same ring to it though.

But I have a Ferrari, a moustache and a butler called Higgins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

frag420 wrote:
    So I googled his name and managed to get his car reg plate and his taxi license number

How did you find this from Google? Seems suspect.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

gurramok wrote: »
    frag420 wrote:
    So I googled his name and managed to get his car reg plate and his taxi license number

www.taxiplatesandcarregs.com

I googled his name and got a link to some taxi advertising forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I once left €20 in the self service checkout in Tesco. I went back to look for it but it was gone. Then when I went back outside a man with red hair came up to me and said "did you leave money in the machine?". I said "yes" and he handed me my €20.

Irish men with red hair that shop in Tesco are great.

I once left €20 in the self service checkout in Tesco. I went back to look for it but it was gone. Then when I went back outside a man with red hair came up to me and said "did you leave money in the machine?". I said "yes" and he handed me my €20.

Irish men with red hair that shop in Tesco are great.

Bloody Irish Guitarists coming in here stealing my thread:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

antodeco wrote: »

Dead link ;)
    frag420 wrote:
    I googled his name and got a link to some taxi advertising forum.

They had his name and reg online or did they tell you that over the phone when you rang them up?

Dead link ;)

They had his name and reg online or did they tell you that over the phone when you rang them up?

When I googled his name I got a site that dealt with taxi advertising. On it was everyones name, reg, plate number etc. No contact details. I gave the guards his reg and plate number and they were able to contact him for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Most people are nice op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

[no smiley]I call bull on this, no frikin way was a garda helpful, [\no smiley]

• Advertisement

You'd make a great stalker.

You need to close that back window in your place. And tidy your sitting room floor its a disgrace.

and yes your bum does look big in that:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

You knew where he lived, why didn't you go and get the phone?
    The guards are out now picking up lost phones, what a waste of resources.
    Just to recap. You lost the phone but everyone else goes out of their way to reconnect you with your phone.

frag420 wrote: »
    You need to close that back window in your place. And tidy your sitting room floor its a disgrace.

But I'm naked, frag :confused:

hondasam wrote: »
    Just to recap. You lost the phone but everyone else goes out of their way to reconnect you with your phone.

of course, loosing a phone is like loosing an arm :rolleyes:

You knew where he lived, why didn't you go and get the phone?
    The guards are out now picking up lost phones, what a waste of resources.

Yes that is exactly what happened. I didnt tell the guards to go look for it. I presented them with what I had and they offered to call down to the house and check it out for me out of their own goodwill and sense of cummunity. I didnt go do it myself as I would to quote a guard "be taking the law into my own hands" and apparently this is frowned upon.

But fair play to you in finding the negative in a positive story.

• Advertisement

I know but i wasnt going to tell everyone here...................that was my secret!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

looks big in that birthday suit

looks big in that birthday suit

Only when you're looking up at it;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Yes that is exactly what happened. I didnt tell the guards to go look for it. I presented them with what I had and they offered to call down to the house and check it out for me out of their own goodwill and sense of cummunity. I didnt go do it myself as I would to quote a guard "be taking the law into my own hands" and apparently this is frowned upon.

But fair play to you in finding the negative in a positive story.

How would you be taking the law into your own hands? you left your phone in a taxi and wanted to pick it up.
    Unless of course you reported the phone stolen ?
    I'm sorry i'm negative but how many phones are lost every day and do you think the gardai should go looking for all of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

having seen shopaholic01 naked i can tell you that she does not have a big bum :D

having seen shopaholic01 naked i can tell you that she does not have a big bum :D

pics? :cool:

How would you be taking the law into your own hands? you left your phone in a taxi and wanted to pick it up.
    Unless of course you reported the phone stolen ?
    I'm sorry i'm negative but how many phones are lost every day and do you think the gardai should go looking for all of them?

Not at all. Firstly I was advised to report it as lost at garda station which I did. I was advised not to approach the house myself as while I was confident it was the cab drivers house it could be anyone who could have picked up my phone in the cab.

The guards didnt have to go looking for my phone as they knew where it was. They didnt go out in teams of 40+ officers combing the streets with sniffer dogs etc. As mentioned I had traced it to an address and maybe they were not up to much else and they decided to have a look for me. Maybe they were bored, maybe they thought it was a nice thing to do. Either way I got my phone back and I am a happy camper.

Try and be happy for me eh..................gwan crack a smile!!

davet82 wrote: »

Thats why I needed my phone back as thats where I store them..............:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

davet82 wrote: »
    Thats why I needed my phone back as thats where I store them..............:cool:

pervs ;)

well then no amount of garda resources should be spared locating it! cracking job :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement