Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing on the Barrow, query..

Options
  • 26-06-2012 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

am going to visit a friend in Carlow at the weekend and am thinking of bringing a rod with me. Is there any special requirements licence wise that I need ?
    Am trying for Pike but it's not to say that I won't pick up something else. everything will be catch and release.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

No permit needed for the Barrow, but very strict Catch and release policy, the lads from the Carlow Club actually patrol the waters too, if nearby call into Carlow Coarse Angling Supplies in Graiguecullen very helpfull and will put you on some fish.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

uch wrote: »
    No permit needed for the Barrow, but very strict Catch and release policy, the lads from the Carlow Club actually patrol the waters too, if nearby call into Carlow Coarse Angling Supplies in Graiguecullen very helpfull and will put you on some fish.

thanks for that Uch , will give them a call in when down that way. As for the catch and release , my hat goes off to the Carlow Club for patrolling the waterways.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gashead

I got myself a Barrow Anglers licence from Murphs in Carlow. I think it lets me fish all the Barrow in the Carlow area and some of it's tribs. €20 for the year seemed like a bargain. I'd also agree with the C&R (don't like the taste of trout much anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 marvin87

gashead wrote: »
    I got myself a Barrow Anglers licence from Murphs in Carlow. I think it lets me fish all the Barrow in the Carlow area and some of it's tribs. €20 for the year seemed like a bargain. I'd also agree with the C&R (don't like the taste of trout much anyway)

You don't need a licence for the Barrow. The Barrow Anglers licence allows you to fish The Burrin, The Greece and The Lirr, all great little trout rivers that run into The Barrow.

well I have fished the barrow twice now and I think I'm really enjoying the coarse fishing such a nice change from the sea fishing. I would like to try float and fly method, so can someone recommend to me some flies that'll work to catch trout or anything really .... I know nothing when it comes to flies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

breghall wrote: »
    well I have fished the barrow twice now and I think I'm really enjoying the coarse fishing such a nice change from the sea fishing. I would like to try float and fly method, so can someone recommend to me some flies that'll work to catch trout or anything really .... I know nothing when it comes to flies

greenwells glory,bloodybutcher,cow dung for murky water,theyre my fave flies
    :cool:

TURRICAN wrote: »
    cow dung for murky water

Is this one for real or are you trying to make a newbie to flies look like a fool when he goes asking to buy one ???:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

breghall wrote: »
    TURRICAN wrote: »
    cow dung for murky water

Is this one for real or are you trying to make a newbie to flies look like a fool when he goes asking to buy one ???:D:D

I know boards is full of pranksters but I'm telling you the truth.
    It's brown and green. Anyway do a google if ya still don't believe me or ring a fishing shop. :)

Goggle seems to comfirm :D thanks for the tips TURRICAN

Advertisement