Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Baler

• 26-06-2012 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

I'm considering getting a baler, have a budget of 10k so would be hoping to get something less than 10 years old.
    Any opinions on the following

John Deere 578
    Deutz 130
    Welger 220
    Krone round pack ?
    Obviously mchale but they are not in budget

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Grecco wrote: »
    I'm considering getting a baler, have a budget of 10k so would be hoping to get something less than 10 years old.
    Any opinions on the following

John Deere 578
    Deutz 130
    Welger 220
    Krone round pack ?
    Obviously mchale but they are not in budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Krone 1250 round pack*

*every farmer will have their favourite :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

id be a fan of weldger balers too make a savage bale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Originally Posted by vanderbadger
    simx wrote: »
    id be a fan of weldger balers too make a savage bale

What HP are you looking at to work one?

Have a neighbour with a 220 farmer and it makes really crap bales.

I heard that the profi makes a much better bale???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Not that impressed with the bales out of any of the welgers, they always sag and go flat.
    What about
    the jd 578 has anyone got one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭flat out !!

Mcchale 550 have a v good name. Seems to be lots of them for sale. For €10k they will prob have a fairly high bale count tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

ya our contractor has a welger too, not a new model. RP i think, makes a crap bale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Our contractor has a welger 200 from about 1995. He makes a savage bale with it. This leads me to believe that most of the problems with bad bales is because of the driver as opposed to the baler!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

reilig wrote: »
    Our contractor has a welger 200 from about 1995. He makes a savage bale with it. This leads me to believe that most of the problems with bad bales is because of the driver as opposed to the baler!

ya that could be, our fella goes pretty fast allright but i wonder if he has the chamber setting different on his aswell or is that possible with an RP welger

• Registered Users Posts: 28 connormi

Finno59 wrote: »
    ya our contractor has a welger too, not a new model. RP i think, makes a crap bale

We have a rp220 mastercut for own use and makes a great bale, if you drive a bit slower you really pack them and we dont have density setting up too high. People doing hire work could be driving very fast and having density set a bit lower that you have crap bales. The more bales the better for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Are balers coming down in price a bit ? I saw a very clean john deere on done deal for E10500 I thought it was great value ,
    I wouldnt know alot about them but i think they are definitely getting more affordable for a farmer than they used to .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

moy83 wrote: »
    Are balers coming down in price a bit ? I saw a very clean john deere on done deal for E10500 I thought it was great value ,
    I wouldnt know alot about them but i think they are definitely getting more affordable for a farmer than they used to .

I saw the same one (A JD 578) and another advertised for 8900. Both looked good balers but I`d be interested in finding out if they make a good bale/ or give any major trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Grecco wrote: »
    I saw the same one (A JD 578) and another advertised for 8900. Both looked good balers but I`d be interested in finding out if they make a good bale/ or give any major trouble

The biggest contractor in North Clare renowned for making rock solid bales has always used 575 and 578 John Deere balers and I never heard of any major trouble with them bar the odd chain breaking, easy enough fix. He bought 2 fusions for a couple of years and sold them again to go back to 578's, he couldnt keep them going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭BalingMad

Had my bales done with a welger today, serious bales, the latch on the back door seems to do great justice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

I had an old Welger RP12s since 1996 to last year and for the most past it made fantasic bales, and it would strain a TS115.

Moved to a 1998 JD 575 for this year so to get a wide pickup, chopper and netwrap. It is far faster, and also makes very good bales, better than the 12s I think. Paid 5k, and it was a well minded machine. No problems so far.

I will up the pressure a little on the JD as I get used to it. I used to guage how far I could go with the welger by ensuring I broke a few shearbolts every year. :)

I think the model of baler isnt hugely relevant. You need to drive handy and wind the baler up to the last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

maidhc wrote: »
    I think the model of baler isnt hugely relevant. You need to drive handy and wind the baler up to the last.

Amen to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Donegal09

The uncle had an early model rp220 up until last year, made great tight bales but had no chopper and the netting system would play up if the bales were moist. Great baler though.
    This year he bought a new 1250 roundpack multi-cut, baled 300 bales there last week. Compared to the welger its a very very simple baler, doesnt even have hydraulic brakes, which come in handy on hilly ground! The krone is extremely noisy compared to the welger. The bales are good and tight, have it turned up to 100% most of the time, and the chopper is a great job, either 7/15/17 knifes. Time will if the krone is as strong as the welger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Donegal09 wrote: »
    Time will if the krone is as strong as the welger.

You should not have to worry on that score

Advertisement