Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing with kids

Options
  • 26-06-2012 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

Do you prep with your kids? (Or like me, what can you do to help loved ones prep their kids?)

Came a cross a discussion here

http://www.preparationist.com/threads/teaching-your-children-about-prepping.950/

with some thoughts.

also http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/cnt/plns/mrgncychldrn-eng.aspx

I think the idea of being prepared for getting out of the house in the event of a house fire is very important. Wilderness skills i think are best taught by getting out and doing.

I've started taking my friends kids out walking (hiking for them, they are 5 and 4) and introduced them to the idea of compass directions, using a compass and looking at a map. (so far just the map at the edge of the park which shows the things we will be finding and the paths we will be using. It was all fun. Next time out I am planning on gifting them each with a bag and starting their own collection of survival things - so far I have whistles, compasses rain ponchos, foil blankets for them. Also going to use some cordage and probalby plastic sheets to rig up some shelter. This is not to make them so skilled, or anything, but simply to get them out and about and thinking of the outdoors as a fun place to be. Also got a nature detective book for them, we will be looking out for various trees and plants.
    I do want to teach them how to use the whistle in an emergency.

finally the oldest has started to learn how to garden. Great skill to teach.

Any thoughts or experiences with this sort of thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Ive 4 kids ranging from 13 down to 8 ive had them out hiking camping every summer since they could walk. Neither of us drive so the kids walk every where which i think these days kids are very lazy i see them getting dropped off at school by car even though they live 2 minutes walk from the school. Last week with the heavy rain a friend of my sons waited in the rain for his mam to collect him rather than walk down with us (as we pass his house on our way home). we have taught our kids basic first aid, how to cook, how to light a fire, build shelter, rock climbing, and how to train the dogs (as i dont use english with the dogs commands)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

bonniebede wrote: »
    I think the idea of being prepared for getting out of the house in the event of a house fire is very important.

We've done drills for this. Eyes closed. Get out of the house crawling (as you may need to in the event of a fire). Alternate routes out, yada yada.

I keep the kids fit. The youngfella needs no work there. Very sporty. I cycle quite a bit with my daughter (5). I think she could probably cover 50K or more in a day on her bike if push came to shove and she was well fueled. I have a carry seat on my bike for my youngest (2).

We recently got an allotment. I'm hoping we'll all learn from that.

I try to teach them all basic skills (making bread, cooking, car maintenance, that kind of thing) but I think more or less everything in this post just falls under general parenting.

Advertisement