Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eugene Moloney two suspects: didnt know each other

Options
  • 26-06-2012 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/murder-of-journalist-one-released-one-still-held-3150768.html
    The second man was still being held at Kevin Street Garda Station today as it emerged that the two men allegedly involved in the altercation that killed Mr Moloney did not even know each other.

The apparently random nature of the fatal attack was laid bare as gardai investigating the murder questioned two suspects.

it dosent get more random than that

anybody ever been attacked like this?

This is something i can never get my head around, unless you're suffering from a mental illness why would you do it... i think i'd rather be attacked for my wallet, at least there would be some sense to it!

also...
    They are both in their 20s and from highly respectable families living on the southside of the city.

wont spend more than 2 years in prison in other words?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sorry, I don't appear to be too up on current affairs. What happened?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

^^ Young man beaten to death on Camden Street a couple of days ago..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I ****ing hate these threads that start in the middle of some garbled thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I ****ing hate these threads that start in the middle of some garbled thought.

jaysus... i'm sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

xzanti wrote: »
    ^^ Young man beaten to death on Camden Street a couple of days ago..

He wasn't a young man.

It was a man in 50's heading home after a night out if I'm not mis-taken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

If it happened as described, I would have some sympathy for the fella he (the victim) was having verbals with. He basically had nothing to do with the assault. But he SHOULD have stayed to help and phone an ambulance at least.

Like a lot of similar cases, people think a box to the head is just that and that it couldn't cause that much damage or lead to a guy falling and smashing his head. People are idiots. Idiots.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

CucaFace wrote: »
    He wasn't a young man.

It was a man in 50's heading home after a night out if I'm not mis-taken.

Sorry, middle aged man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I guess it doesn't make a difference to Eamon Maloney anymore whether he was killed for the freedom of Greece, or from drunken fury.

Nevertheless, if you had to go, that's a terrible way to go. Like a lot of people, I walked down Camden Street an hour or so before Maloney's death on Saturday night, presuming like him to wake up with little more than a hangover next morning.

It's an awful way to go to end up lying alone & dead on a street strewn with fast food wrappings and vomit, killed apparently out of senseless violence. It's so completely un-necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Stuff like this makes me wonder about humans work
    Why should people that don't respect other people life have their life respected my others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Anyone who has been on Camden st of a weekend knows what the place is like after midnight, it's mental.

For the first time in years, I found myself walking along there a few weeks ago with sober eyes and I was surprised at how disgusted I was with the general carry on.

Kids everywhere, most of them barely 18, if even, out of their minds pissed, falling all over the place, fights breaking out all over the road. Not that this was strange to me, I used to be one of them. But what I did find utterly confusing and slightly depressing was that even though there were literally hundreds of drunk teenage morons everywhere you looked, I couldn't see a single guard. Not one. Why?

Tourists must go home with a seriously ****ed up image of Ireland after seeing this craic.

Horrible sad story about your man, I hope his family are alright because that's a rough way to go. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

The fella that hit him was completely unprovoked and even by mentioning his family background in the article you'd think he would have known a lot better.

A horrible tragedy and fingers crossed justice is delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

davet82 wrote: »

anybody ever been attacked like this?

on my 18th? birthday i went out to carlow with my brother for celebrations and may have gotten a bit too drunk but i went outside the club and fell over.(i was young and thought i could keep up with my brother)

* i cant remember what happened after this but this what the gardai told me.*

after i fell over a group of lads came over to me and one started kicking me repeatedly in the face. The next thing i remember was slipping in and out of consciousness in an ambulance on the way to kilkenny hospital.

in the end i was very lucky, only minor cuts and bruises on my face and head and the paramedic said i was one of the nicest people she has ever dealt with :).

the only thing that really annoyed me about the whole situation is that there were other people outside the club and nobody did a thing...

says a lot really.

FatherLen wrote: »
    on my 18th? birthday i went out to carlow with my brother for celebrations and may have gotten a bit too drunk but i went outside the club and fell over.(i was young and thought i could keep up with my brother)

* i cant remember what happened after this but this what the gardai told me.*

after i fell over a group of lads came over to me and one started kicking me repeatedly in the face. The next thing i remember was slipping in and out of consciousness in an ambulance on the way to kilkenny hospital.

in the end i was very lucky, only minor cuts and bruises on my face and head and the paramedic said i was one of the nicest people she has ever dealt with :).

the only thing that really annoyed me about the whole situation is that there were other people outside the club and nobody did a thing...

says a lot really.

thats fcuked up. did the guys know you previous? where they caught? did you ever get an explanation?

thats fcuked up. did the guys know you previous? where they caught? did you ever get an explanation?

no the guys didn't know me and weren't even in the club. he was caught and had previous convictions but got off with a suspended sentence (obviously).

FatherLen wrote: »
    no the guys didn't know me and weren't even in the club. he was caught and had previous convictions but got off with a suspended sentence (obviously).

not a shocker with the sentence, so the wánker just done it for the hell of it... sickening and scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

'respectable families'

will they get suspended sentences so they can finish their exams like the annabels murderers?

not a shocker with the sentence, so the wánker just done it for the hell of it... sickening and scary

yeah pretty much, i had long hair at the time and was a bit of a skater boy and we all know what the inbred morons of this country can be like but sure no point in getting worked up nowadays.

'respectable families'

will they get suspended sentences so they can finish their exams like the annabels murderers?

probably but maybe killing a journo might invoke a witch hunt by the papers for killing one of there own

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Anyone who has been on Camden st of a weekend knows what the place is like after midnight, it's mental.

For the first time in years, I found myself walking along there a few weeks ago with sober eyes and I was surprised at how disgusted I was with the general carry on.

Kids everywhere, most of them barely 18, if even, out of their minds pissed, falling all over the place, fights breaking out all over the road. Not that this was strange to me, I used to be one of them. But what I did find utterly confusing and slightly depressing was that even though there were literally hundreds of drunk teenage morons everywhere you looked, I couldn't see a single guard. Not one... Why.?

Because in a bog in the wilderness of Co.Galway every day last week there were:
    60 Gardai
    24 patrol cars
    12 armed members of the ERU
    A Garda helicopter
    A low flying air corps aircraft
    all this to stop a few country people cutting turf.!!! i kid you not.
    trying to criminalise ordinary decent country people who probably never broke a single law in their lives..
    Goes to show how fcuked up this country has become..:mad:
    Politicans,take a bow.!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

washman3 wrote: »
    60 Gardai
    24 patrol cars
    A Garda helicopter
    trying to criminalise ordinary decent country people who probably never broke a single law in their lives..

Except for the law against cutting turf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

'respectable families'

Is it code for daddy knows some senior guards/judges/politicians.:confused:

These young men have their whole lives ahead of them unlike some scruff from a council estate etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Red_Wake wrote: »
    I presume most people there were protesting, not actually the ones cutting the turf. He makes a valid point.

I know we cannot and should not allocate all available resources to one thing at a time in order of priority, but the priorities themselves seem to be totally screwed up.

Red_Wake wrote: »

i get what your saying but was a bit overkill dont ya think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

washman3 wrote: »
    60 Gardai
    24 patrol cars
    A Garda helicopter

Total exaggeration there!!!!!!!!! NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

they should get heavy sentences but probably wont ala annabell **** that got off on suspended sentences because of 'respectable background',its just not good enough crime means crime no matter who you are - and this was a senseless murder it could have happened to anyone,you or me at the wrong time at the wrong place..

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Total exaggeration there!!!!!!!!! NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!

if both of you would like to prove either of your posts, that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I always say to people that the most dangerous places in Dublin city are not Summerhill, Thomas St, Pearse St etc, but the likes of Westmoreland St, Dame St and Parliament St between 1 and 4AM. Kids who've loaded up on Tesco bargain spirits at home then some more alcopops in the pub, maybe a bit of coke or low quality speedy pills and frustrated because they couldn't get a girl are bad news to be around.
    A mugger just wants your phone or cash and to get away as quickly as possible whereas an agressive little scrote can quicky become a mob of 5 who for no reason at all want to kick your skull in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

they should get heavy sentences but probably wont ala annabell **** that got off on suspended sentences because of 'respectable background',its just not good enough crime means crime no matter who you are - and this was a senseless murder it could have happened to anyone,you or me at the wrong time at the wrong place..

Too true, except maybe we should wait for the trial and all the evidence before deciding on a sentence. For example, we do not yet know whether or not the person who struck the blow has some kind of mental illness.

I also speculate that a murder verdict is unlikely to be arrived at. It is not clear whether the young man who was in a verbal altercation with the victim even hit him; it seems the other fellow, a complete stranger, walked up and swung out. It will be difficult to prove the premeditation that a guilty of murder verdict would require. If the guy who was arguing with Mr. Moloney didn't hit him at all, but instead simply walked away, he might be found guilty of failing to render aid or something along those lines, but not much else.:cool:

Whichever way, the real tragedy is that the loutish behaviour that seems to be rapidly on the increase in Ireland has claimed the life of yet another victim, an innocent man who was inoffensively going about his business.

He was in some pretty hairy situations while covering the troubles in the Six Counties and came through it all unscathed. How very sad that a night out in "peaceful" Dublin cost him his life.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

mental illness or not,this person whoever they are are not safe to have out in society,i would say the probability it is some asshole wrecked off their head having a go at some random man is probably high..

i was in dublin the other day and on the weekeneds it is hectic,the sales of cheap drinks has shot up since the late 90's,(of course drugs are more widely available)and i think there is a link between that and the random acts of violence and loutish behaviour..

[EDIT]: I was just listing to the doe duffy show and heard about some girl who had half her nose ripped off in a random attack in dublin,did anybody else hear of the same,theres people ringing in about attacks that happened to them or their loved ones..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

'respectable families'

The annabels lad wasn't murdered. Same with Eugene Moloney.

Advertisement