Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eugene Moloney two suspects: didnt know each other

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Apparently the other guy had nothing to do with the assault but he robbed the victim after he was punched.

wow... how low can ye get, robbing a dying man and leaving him to die.

And this guy is from a good home as reported earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

They are both in their 20s and from highly respectable families living on the southside of the city.

wont spend more than 2 years in prison in other words?[/Quote]

Did the herald not say yesterday that they are well known to police?

Poor chap, mindless violence that's cost someone his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Apparently the other guy had nothing to do with the assault but he robbed the victim after he was punched.

I'd give him extra time in prison, the opportunist tramp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Did the herald not say yesterday that they are well known to police?

The Herald says a lot of things that aren't that close to the truth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

You can't get much lower than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0626/eugene-moloney-dublin.html

21-year-old man charged with killing Eugene Molone A 21-year-old trainee mechanic has been charged with killing journalist Eugene Moloney, who died after an assault in Dublin city centre at the weekend.

[URL="javascript:void(0)"][/URL][URL="javascript:void(0)"][/URL]Eugene Moloney died following an assault on Camden Street

Mr Moloney, a former reporter with the Irish Independent, lived at Portobello Place in Dublin and was making his way home in the early hours of Sunday morning.
    The 55-year-old suffered a blow to the head on Camden Street.
    He received medical attention at the scene and was then brought to St James's Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
    Gary Burch, of Kennington Close, Templeogue, Dublin, had been detained by gardaí for questioning on Monday morning.
    Today he was brought before Dublin District Court charged with the manslaughter of Mr Moloney at Camden Street, on 24 June.
    Garda Sergeant Sean McAvinchey told Judge Victor Blake that Mr Burch was charged at 12.49pm.
    He said he was present when the charge was read over to Mr Burch and that ''Gary Burch made no reply".
    He then asked the judge to remand Mr Burch in custody to appear again next Monday.
    Mr Burch, who was represented by Michael Bowman BL, did not address the court during the brief hearing and has not yet indicated how he will plead to the charge.
    No application for bail or legal aid was made.
    Mr Moloney, who was originally from Donegal, had previously worked with the Irish News in Belfast in the 1970s.
    He later relocated to Dublin where he worked for Independent newspapers for more than 20 years.
    In 1987, he began reporting for the Evening Herald.
    He later moved to the Irish Independent and worked out of the paper's head office in Dublin, but had also reported extensively from Northern Ireland at the height of the Troubles.
    A second man arrested during the investigation into the journalist's death was released without charge from garda custody on Monday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The family got that legal team together very quickly

Michael Bowman is one of the highest earning barristers in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

latenia wrote: »
    I always say to people that the most dangerous places in Dublin city are not Summerhill, Thomas St, Pearse St etc, but the likes of Westmoreland St, Dame St and Parliament St between 1 and 4AM. Kids who've loaded up on Tesco bargain spirits at home then some more alcopops in the pub, maybe a bit of coke or low quality speedy pills and frustrated because they couldn't get a girl are bad news to be around.
    A mugger just wants your phone or cash and to get away as quickly as possible whereas an agressive little scrote can quicky become a mob of 5 who for no reason at all want to kick your skull in.

An interesting point.

I always thought the same. You do see pure thicks after nightclubs are over, and I wondered is it frustration that is behind it all.

I'm sure many lads would prefer to be tucking into some poon rather than wandering the streets at 4am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I've heard, from those who should know, that there's a fashion for gangs of young lads to go hunting for someone on his own to beat up.

In my opinion the problem isn't drink or drugs - many's the feed of drink or dope I've had in my younger days without wanting to smash someone's head in. The problem is anger and violence, and, yes, the lack of gardaí visible and active on the streets.

There are also various societal strategies that work - some studies showed that changing the colour of street lighting outside bars (to what colour I can't remember offhand) reduced violence; others showed that having bars let their drinkers out at staggered times, rather than all together, meant people went home calmly rather than getting involved in confrontations.

In 21st century Ireland violence is going to increase - the Gini Coefficient (the gap between rich and poor) is widening, which is always and inevitably a precursor to violence. Until we deliberately set out and make a society where the amount people earn is relatively equal, we're on a bad road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Can you provide a link? There is no mention of this in any of the media I have checked and if it is true, why was he released without charge?:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

it should be a life for a life..

it should be a life for a life..

No it shouldn't.

Highwaymen in the 18th century used to base themselves under the gallows where their former colleagues were left swinging to rot.

Yes it should.. PRISONERS ARE GETTING TOO MANY BENEFITS IN PRISON AND SUSPENDED SENTENCES,THEY EVEN HAVE THE OPTION OF DOING A DEGREE COURSE IN COMPUTER SCIENCE IN PRISON..I KNOW A PRISON GARD WHO WORKS IN LIMERICK PRISON THEY GET STATE OF THE FVCKING ART EVERYTHING..ITS RIDICULOUS..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Can you provide a link? There is no mention of this in any of the media I have checked and if it is true, why was he released without charge?:confused::confused:

http://crime.ie/20120626/man-due-in-court-over-fatal-assault-of-eugene-moloney/

A file was sent to the DPP, I'd hazard a guess they are wondering what exactly they can charge him with first.

I know a prison gard who tells me they get everything,they have more rights than any of us,they get access to computers,phones,weekends out,you name it,gym membership,library,xbox recreation,its not a prison at all,they have the freedom to do what they want,okay behind bars but thats it!

This guy who murdered eugene could easily get to finish his appreticeship or try another course and go on to degree level! I mean FFS its ridiculous..

I know a prison gard who tells me they get everything,they have more rights than any of us,they get access to computers,phones,weekends out,you name it,gym membership,library,xbox recreation,its not a prison at all,they have the freedom to do what they want,okay behind bars but thats it!

This guy who murdered eugene could easily get to finish his appreticeship or try another course and go on to degree level! I mean FFS its ridiculous..

Seriously STFU with your BS stories.

Yes it should.. PRISONERS ARE GETTING TOO MANY BENEFITS IN PRISON AND SUSPENDED SENTENCES,THEY EVEN HAVE THE OPTION OF DOING A DEGREE COURSE IN COMPUTER SCIENCE IN PRISON..I KNOW A PRISON GARD WHO WORKS IN LIMERICK PRISON THEY GET STATE OF THE FVCKING ART EVERYTHING..ITS RIDICULOUS..

If you have ever visited a prison, as I have, you may feel differently. Most prisoners are functionally illiterate. The nights are filled with the screams and demented laughter of the mentally ill. Four and five people share cells designed for one, with buckets to urinate and defecate in.

I would certainly be happy for prisoners to take a degree in computer science so that they could live a law-abiding, decent life within society rather than sliding into crime again having finished their sentence.

If you dont believe me ask yourself or go check out one of the prisons,its there!!!They get bank accounts and everything..

http://crime.ie/20120626/man-due-in-court-over-fatal-assault-of-eugene-moloney/

A file was sent to the DPP, I'd hazard a guess they are wondering what exactly they can charge him with first.

This says Mr Moloney was robbed, not by whom.

''I would certainly be happy for prisoners to take a degree in computer science so that they could live a law-abiding, decent life within society rather than sliding into crime again having finished their sentence. ''

.....BUT,given their record,and what they are used to they wont use it for good,and who will employ one with a criminal record tell me?

Another thing aswell,where is the punishment for the perpetrator of a murderous crime?

Prison is no deterrent - thats WHY we have so much crime..

• Advertisement

Prison is no deterrent - thats WHY we have so much crime..

Actually, that's a logical fallacy. Norway, where the prisons would cause poor christmas2012 to fall down in a foaming fury fit, has the lowest recidivism in the world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18121914

It doesnt go into the lives of these prisoners when they are released,prison there seems like some sort of heaven,is that the way it really should be..

In the justice system when you are threatened with prison it should mean something,negative,and serious,and somewhere where YOU DONT WANT TO GO.

The recidivism rate in Norway is 20%. That is to say, one prisoner in five lands back in prison. In countries with 'tough' prison regimes, the rate of re-offending is much, much higher - two in three being jailed again in many countries. Another piece:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1986002,00.html

But this is thread creep, christmas2012, and I don't want to disrespect the late Eugene by discussing this on the thread about his tragic, unnecessary and wrong death.

In saudi arabia,just on the issue of crime and punishment,drugs are not a problem in that part of the world,it is almost negligable,why??Because they get hung on the square if they are caught dealing..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As someone who was on the receiving end of a bad beating several years ago, I really feel for Mr Moloney's family. No-one expects to go out for a drink and be murdered/killed. But this case shows just how fragile human life is.

I'm sure the guy who threw the punch didn't think he would kill someone that night, and maybe spend a decade or more in prison for it. But thousands of punches are thrown every year when people are drunk, and only a few end up with this outcome. Mr Moloney just had the misfortune to take the blow on the wrong spot, or else hit his head ina certain way when falling.

May be rest in peace. He probably felt nothing.

This says Mr Moloney was robbed, not by whom.

It's not that difficult to figure out. That's the reason a second person was arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I've heard, from those who should know, that there's a fashion for gangs of young lads to go hunting for someone on his own to beat up.
    "A fashion" makes it sound like a recent fad.
    I know a prison gard who tells me they get everything,they have more rights than any of us (though they do have more rights than they should),they get access to computers,phones (but not mobiles, legally, though they do have them),weekends out (for weddings, funerals, communions and such),you name it,gym membership (they might act like it is, but prison isn't a club),library,xbox recreation,its not a prison at all,they have the freedom to do what they want (unless the P.O.s know about it),okay behind bars but thats it!

Seriously STFU with your BS stories.
    It's not all sensationalist BS.

Green=True
    Red=False

NIMAN i dont think he felt nothing that punch actually killed him id say his head hurt read bad before he fell down dying..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The crux of it is the question, are random acts of aggressive, extreme or unprovoked violence are the rise? We can probably all agree thats a Yes
    Well, no, I actually bothered to check the CSO figures which revealed that incidents of assault have decreased steadily since 2008 despite the rise in population. Cases of assault have increased in number since 2004 but this is to be expected given that the population has risen by over 600,000. Taken as a percentage of the population, assaults have been relatively steady over the last decade and clearly declined in the past year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

In saudi arabia,just on the issue of crime and punishment,drugs are not a problem in that part of the world,it is almost negligable,why??Because they get hung on the square if they are caught dealing..

Actually, this is a kind of false argument. Many crimes in Saudi Arabia, from the mundane to the very serious, will be dealt with through channels outside of those of the official government...as such they are not included in crime statistics. Having a true picture of the rates and types of crimes in such countries can be very difficult.

Advertisement