Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eugene Moloney two suspects: didnt know each other

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Actually, this is a kind of false argument. Many crimes in Saudi Arabia, from the mundane to the very serious, will be dealt with through channels outside of those of the official government...as such they are not included in crime statistics. Having a true picture of the rates and types of crimes in such countries can be very difficult.

Not to mention that drugs and alcohol are idely available there for those with conections/wealthy people and the ruling classes (behind closed doors, of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Rip to eugene and my condolences to his family.
    A guy on the joe duffy show said it all yesterday.the main street in our capital city is a no go area after 8 or 9 pm at night.where else in the civilised world is this tolerated.
    It's sickening that people are afraid to walk the streets when it gets dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

NIMAN i dont think he felt nothing that punch actually killed him id say his head hurt read bad before he fell down dying..

There's a decent chance he felt nothing.

When I got my bad beating, I was punched in the face by one of 4 guys approaching me on the pavement. I don't remember anything after that punch, not even hitting the ground. The punch knocked me out instantly.

I hope Mr Moloney was the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I know what you mean i broke my nose some years back but it wasnt a punch i fell about 20 mph to the concrete ground and broke my nose pretty bad it was disjoined off my face completley hanging on by a bit of flesh,for a moment though i felt searing agony then afterwards the adrenalin subsided and the morphine produced naturally in the body kicked in and i didnt feel as in much pain but there was a bit of a dull pain there..

It happens with most accidents you feel agony intially and then afterwards about a few minutes other chemicals in your body kick in to protect you so you can get out of that situation and save yourself or call for help..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Yes it should.. PRISONERS ARE GETTING TOO MANY BENEFITS IN PRISON AND SUSPENDED SENTENCES,THEY EVEN HAVE THE OPTION OF DOING A DEGREE COURSE IN COMPUTER SCIENCE IN PRISON..I KNOW A PRISON GARD WHO WORKS IN LIMERICK PRISON THEY GET STATE OF THE FVCKING ART EVERYTHING..ITS RIDICULOUS..

http://angrybrowngrrl.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/capslock.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

ya i should have layed off the capslock but you get my point prisons have stuff that i dont even have in my own house its ridiculous..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Well, no, I actually bothered to check the CSO figures which revealed that incidents of assault have decreased steadily since 2008 despite the rise in population. Cases of assault have increased in number since 2004 but this is to be expected given that the population has risen by over 600,000. Taken as a percentage of the population, assaults have been relatively steady over the last decade and clearly declined in the past year.

I was going to say that I felt Dublin is safer now than it was 10 years ago. This is probably partially to do with my own age and comportment, I'm not as much of a mouth as I was, for one thing, and I'm also likely to avoid a crowd where aggro seems abrewing now, whereas years ago I would have sailed through oblvious. I was punched four or five times in my late teens and early 20s and not a peep since. Long may that continue.

To be honest I think a lot of the general age cohort that makes up the impromptu fight clubs in towns and cities around Ireland can't afford to drink quite as much as they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dunne.Drift

wont spend more than 2 years in prison in other words?

Did the herald not say yesterday that they are well known to police?

Poor chap, mindless violence that's cost someone his life.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm he is not well known to police!

Everybody should wait for the trial & stop speculating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

I can confirm he is not well known to police!

Everybody should wait for the trial & stop speculating.

Well he is well known to police now, and to the media, and right so - what an absolute scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 The Major

Anybody who strikes out at another person for no reason whatsoever is a scumbag in my eyes and always will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

ThatGuy93 wrote: »
    Motorist wrote: »
    Well he is well known to police now, and to the media, and right so - what an absolute scumbag.

Firstly I'd like to say I'm not standing up for the actions of the young man that hit Mr. Moloney. But you do not know this young man, I do. I am not his friend but I know of him from seeing him around the area I live and being at various house parties where he was in attendance. He is not a scumbag as you so kindly put it. He has always been known to be a hot head at times, but lets be honest we all knew somebody who had a bit of a temper when we were young and they were not necessarily bad people. He threw a single punch and unfortunately for both parties the results were horrendous. I would argue almost all men have thrown a punch at some point in their lives whether in self-defence or aggression, but we do not do so in the believe or hope that we will kill somebody. But if one of our single punches were to result in the death of an individual, would you believe you should be labelled a scumbag for the rest of your life as a result of a single alcohol fuelled punch?

This is ridiculous. Always known to be a hot head and now he has killed someone because of his temper. Sounds like a scumbag to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ThatGuy93

This is ridiculous. Always known to be a hot head and now he has killed someone because of his temper. Sounds like a scumbag to me.

Yea no your right, I've just been reading more into the incident and cant stand by my above statement. It was a pure act of thuggery I didnt realise that it was a 55 year old man that was innocently attacked in the street, I thought it was a row between two men that turned nasty. Apologies for any offence caused by my last comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

davet82 wrote: »
    it dosent get more random than that

anybody ever been attacked like this?
    ?

Sure, as a young teen, 12-17, I used to get started on the whole time by people at least 5 years older than me. Kind of sad when I look back and remember being a 12 year and getting death threats off of some 20 year old in the street as I walked past but hey, I got used to it. I dont hold any emotions over it and dont particularly care anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

probably but maybe killing a journo might invoke a witch hunt by the papers for killing one of there own

True, but unfortunately, knowing our nanny state, it will probably result in a new knee-jerk law, that closes off licences at 18:00hrs instead of 22:00hrs, instead of putting more Gardai on the streets on weekend nights, where they can deal with the issues at hand.

City Centre is out of control, Guards, when they are there, are too soft.

THATGUY93 wrote: »
    Firstly I'd like to say I'm not standing up for the actions of the young man that hit Mr. Moloney. But you do not know this young man, I do. I am not his friend but I know of him from seeing him around the area I live and being at various house parties where he was in attendance. He is not a scumbag as you so kindly put it. He has always been known to be a hot head at times, but lets be honest we all knew somebody who had a bit of a temper when we were young and they were not necessarily bad people. He threw a single punch and unfortunately for both parties the results were horrendous. I would argue almost all men have thrown a punch at some point in their lives whether in self-defence or aggression, but we do not do so in the believe or hope that we will kill somebody. But if one of our single punches were to result in the death of an individual, would you believe you should be labelled a scumbag for the rest of your life as a result of a single alcohol fuelled punch?

So much wrong with your statement.

He threw a single unprovolked punch at an elderly man by himself, from behind, to his head. This punch killed his victim. Don't talk to me about "unfortunately for both parties". That scumbag caused all of this.

There is nothing wrong with throwing a punch in self-defence - however throwing a punch at someone from behind who is not a threat to anyone is not self defence - once again only a scumbag does this.

He is and always will be labelled a scumbag for what he did. And the alcohol-fueled thing is a pathetic attempt at an excuse, it actually makes his actions worse.

Hopefully a custodial sentence with a few years behind bars, along with a permanent criminal record along with ostracisation from society will make him think of controlling that "hot head" of his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

Motorist wrote: »
    So much wrong with your statement.

He threw a single unprovolked punch at an elderly man by himself, from behind, to his head. This punch killed his victim. Don't talk to me about "unfortunately for both parties". That scumbag caused all of this.

There is nothing wrong with throwing a punch in self-defence - however throwing a punch at someone from behind who is not a threat to anyone is not self defence - once again only a scumbag does this.

He is and always will be labelled a scumbag for what he did. And the alcohol-fueled thing is a pathetic attempt at an excuse, it actually makes his actions worse.

Hopefully a custodial sentence with a few years behind bars, along with a permanent criminal record along with ostracisation from society will make him think of controlling that "hot head" of his.

he corrected his point like 2 post later ffs

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    he corrected his point like 2 post later ffs

ffs i didnt see the correction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

pretty **** what happened, i've been "happy slapped" before and its not a nice thing, lucky i didn't hit the ground.

You have to live with the consequences of your actions i feel no sorry for that guy,
    Having been i'm many countries around the world, i feel the disrespect shown towards the guards in ireland is outstanding. Partly thier own fault for "understanding the craic",
    if the cops were as heavy hand with drunks on a night out as they are with traffic offences i can guarantee the city would be a lot safer place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

if the cops were as heavy hand with drunks on a night out as they are with traffic offences i can guarantee the city would be a lot safer place

maybe if there were on the spot finds for loutish behaviour the guards would probably encouraged to tackle it more like profitable traffic offences

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

pretty **** what happened, i've been "happy slapped" before and its not a nice thing, lucky i didn't hit the ground.

You have to live with the consequences of your actions i feel no sorry for that guy,
    Having been i'm many countries around the world, i feel the disrespect shown towards the guards in ireland is outstanding. Partly thier own fault for "understanding the craic",

To be honest, the only way to deal with drunks is to threaten their right to drink. If committing a crime while drunk meant you would no longer be able to purchase drink in a pub or off licence then people would shape up pretty quick.

For a lot of people who will act the dick while drunk, spending a night in the cells just becomes another story to tell unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

To be honest, the only way to deal with drunks is to threaten their right to drink. If committing a crime while drunk meant you would no longer be able to purchase drink in a pub or off licence then people would shape up pretty quick.

if only there was some way to enforce that, we cant even stop underage drinkers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

In many British citys at weekends after pub closing times, you will see police ' 'Rapid Response teams ' who's role is to deal with potential ugly situations that arise around the city and to arrest people who behave or ' are about to behave' in a violent manner towards others and to disperse crowds . It's not perfect but their presence does make the difference to people feeling safer on the streets .

Walking down though O Connell street and Dame Street on weekend nights at pub closing times can be a scary expierence and the question which is now been asked but what many people have wondered about for years now is who is responsible for policing our citys streets at weekend ? The lack of Gardai present at these times would make you think nobody.

Latchy wrote: »
    In many British citys at weekends after pub closing times, you will see police ' 'Rapid Response teams ' who's role is to deal with potential ugly situations that arise around the city and to arrest people who behave or ' are about to behave' in a violent manner towards others and to disperse crowds . It's not perfect but their presence does make the difference to people feeling safer on the streets .

Walking down though O Connell street and Dame Street on weekend nights at pub closing times can be a scary expierence and the question which is now been asked but what many people have wondered about for years now is who is responsible for policing our citys streets at weekend ? The lack of Gardai present at these times would make you think nobody.

The job of policing on a Saturday night seems to have long since been delegated down to the workers of fast food restaurants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    The job of policing on a Saturday night seems to have long since been delegated down to the workers of fast food restaurants
    The staff of A&E are left to deal with the innocent casualtys of drunken, violent behaviour to .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

if only there was some way to enforce that, we cant even stop underage drinkers!

I kind of like the idea of a drinking license. It would be pretty cool if people who got caught acting the maggot while drunk could lose their license. Everyone else who can behave themselves wouldn't have a problem.

It could work with a simple id card system at the point of sale - pub, club, offy, newsagents etc. No license, no sale.

It wouldn't be foolproof (others could buy the booze for the person, for example) but it would definitely make it harder for gob****es to go out on the town and cause trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well thats that cleared up thank god. Ive been hitting refresh for 8 months on this waiting for a resolution.

Yep. Might as well cancel the trial. Such eloquence as displayed in that post can only transmit the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

maybe if there were on the spot finds for loutish behaviour the guards would probably encouraged to tackle it more like profitable traffic offences

I once asked a German why his countrymen were so law-abiding in things like red lights and jaywalking. Were there huge fines or prison sentences?

He said no - there are tiny fines, €2 to €5, I think he said, which are stringently imposed and enforced. They're so small that people just shrug and pay them, but the inconvenience means it's not worth repeating the offence. I don't know if he was telling the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

I once asked a German why his countrymen were so law-abiding in things like red lights and jaywalking. Were there huge fines or prison sentences?

He said no - there are tiny fines, €2 to €5, I think he said, which are stringently imposed and enforced. They're so small that people just shrug and pay them, but the inconvenience means it's not worth repeating the offence. I don't know if he was telling the truth.

I suspect its a little bit of that... and also quite a lot of the fact that Germany is one of those countries where if you misbehave (loutishly), the local police force think nothing of beating the unholy crap out of you..... and you know... it seems to do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

AEDIC wrote: »
    I suspect its a little bit of that... and also quite a lot of the fact that Germany is one of those countries where if you misbehave (loutishly), the local police force think nothing of beating the unholy crap out of you..... and you know... it seems to do the trick.

I suspect the fines are what have the effect, not the brutality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I think there is no understanding of random violent attacks. The only way you would get an answerer is by asking someone one who has committed a random violent attack why they did it and if they you got an answerer you would have to look at.

(1) Were they drunk or high or were they sober

(2) Was it planned in the sense that they had decided to attack anyone they met, were they doing it for the buzz

(3) Why is violence a buzz

(4) Are they mently ill

(5) Did they feel any regret

(6) Do they come from a violent family or a dysfunctional family

(7) Why do they lack impulse control.

(8) What is the i.Q.

Advertisement