Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quinn found guilty of contempt of court

• 26-06-2012 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Story just broke on Politics.ie

Found guilty of contempt for breaching an order to stop moving assets from the jurisdiction.

Good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

But he was a great and honourable man

/sarcasm

F off Quinn, hope your desserts are coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Linkage; http://af.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idAFBRE85P0CA20120626

More info; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18396329
    The three denied that charge but admitted taking steps in Russia and Ukraine to put some of their properties beyond the bank's reach, before last year's court orders.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0626/high-court-judgement-in-quinn-case-due-today.html
    The Irish Bank Resolution Corporation, formerly Anglo Irish Bank, accused the three of taking steps to put the Quinn Group's international property assets out of the reach of the bank, after the High Court had granted injunctions preventing them from doing so.
    IBRC is currently chasing €2.8 billion in debts from the group.
    The Quinns had denied the claims and said that while they had attempted to put assets beyond the reach of the bank they had done so before the High Court made the orders.
    The possible penalties for breaching High Court orders include imprisonment as well as fines

For mobile users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Mushy wrote: »
    But he was a great and honourable man

/sarcasm

F off Quinn, hope your desserts are coming!

If he ordered them well in advance they should be by now.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    If he ordered them well in advance they should be by now.

Would they be considered assets if ordered well in advance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Mushy wrote: »
    Would they be considered assets if ordered well in advance?

Dunno bout the assets, but his desserts should be ready by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Dunno bout the assets, but his desserts should be ready by now.

who is picking up his bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Great News, Ive hoped for really really bad things for Quinn since being screwed over by his joke of a car insurance company many years ago. He is a scumbag and the people who work for him no more then henchman for an evil empire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

If we could only get that Cowen B*stard into jail aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Great News, Ive hoped for really really bad things for Quinn since being screwed over by his joke of a car insurance company many years ago. He is a scumbag and the people who work for him no more then henchman for an evil empire.

Bit much?

While he himself may be a prick, those people are just doing their job.

You can't blame front-line staff for the wrongdoings dictated from the top.

That's like calling the person behind the cash register at Debenhams evil for supporting child labour practises in textile factories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

will anything actually happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

He might do a couple of handy months in an open prison, then head off into the sun to spend his ferreted away millions.
    I would imagine his advice is telling him to sarcrifice a few of these assets to placate the stupid people and to allow the establishment (who have stood over these dubious accounting practices) to save face, in front of the same stupid people, who will go on voting them into power in the mistaken belief that something is going to change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

No,people like them don't get sent to jail,and if they're fined : 'sure we're"broke",couldn't possibly pay that........'
    It's scum like them that have the country on it's knees,getting spit roasted by all and sundry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

blow69 wrote: »
    Bit much?

While he himself may be a prick, those people are just doing their job.

You can't blame front-line staff for the wrongdoings dictated from the top.

That's like calling the person behind the cash register at Debenhams evil for supporting child labour practises in textile factories.

I had several scenes from Austin Powers going through my head when I wrote that. If you were seeing what my minds eye was seeing you wouldnt have over reacted.. foiled again by other peoples inability to read minds goddammit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Maybe we should kill them altogether, along with their families and everyone who ever worked for them.....

Eta. And burn their bodies, and chisel their names off.....

It would solve many of our economic problems including opening up a few rural office workers vacancies!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

johnr1 wrote: »
    Maybe we should kill them altogether, along with their families and everyone who ever worked for them.....

Eta. And burn their bodies, and chisel their names off.....

No need to go all Ancient Egyptian man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Is it wrong of me to hope he is going to be someones bitch in prison?...

...IF he ever gets prison, cause im sure he will just get a smack on the back of the hand and be told "dont do that again you loveable rouge"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

It's ironic that if all the people who want to burn Quinn made the laws of other countries, we'd never have had Ford, Macy's, Sony, Wollworths, Honda or KFC.

In some countries, failure is a badge of honour and they jail the likes of Madoff for natural life.
    Here we let Seanie Fitz off and punish business people who fail.

Quinn made bad business decisions, he deserves to be left with nothing, but put the blame for us carrying his losses where it belongs, - with a bank who were out of control, and a government who guaranteed all the losses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Access wrote: »
    Is it wrong of me to hope he is going to be someones bitch in prison?...

I sure don't think so and I'm guessing many people don't think so either.
    Personally I'm hoping for someone like this guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Spotlight should be interesting now on BBC N.I. Reporter went to Belize to report on the hiding of assets.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

"But he fixed the roads!"

No wait... I have that wrong...I think...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

It's ironic that if all the people who want to burn Quinn made the laws of other countries, we'd never have had Ford, Macy's, Sony, Wollworths, Honda or KFC.

In some countries, failure is a badge of honour and they jail the likes of Madoff for natural life.

Quinn made bad business decisions, he deserves to be left with nothing, but put the blame for us carrying his losses where it belongs, - with a bank who were out of control, and a government who guaranteed all the losses.

No problem with failure Buddy...if the business was honestly run...and responsibilities were faced up to in a reasonable and straightforward manner.

What Quinn appears to be doing is lumping the enormous cost of his failure on the Irish taxpayer and and at the same time ensuring that he and his family(poor simple country people) have more than enough to live in considerable luxury for the rest of their lives.

This simple country man is trying to make you and me and our children pay so he and his coterie and their descendants can live in luxury behind their walled mansions.

Good on you Judge Dunne ....jail the bastards :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

K-9 wrote: »
    Spotlight should be interesting now on BBC N.I. Reporter went to Belize to report on the hiding of assets.

Shady Ukranian and Russian beneficiaries and apparently legitimate Swedish and Belize sources!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The greediest Irishman ever has been found in contempt of court. Instead of owning up and paying (some of) his dues, he was hiding his assets in a "blatant, dishonest and deceitful" manner

Shame on Sean Quinn, the traitor.

He and all his cronies and family find it hard to live on €2,000 a week? Who the hell is paying them this money? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

But unkel, look at that hang-dog expression on his face. He feels sorry for what he did. Let's get him a present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

a shnake of the highest order. hopefully the DPP is able to bring fraud charges against him for transferring those assets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I think that if the government/Nama hadn't tried to go behind his back and went to such underhand tricks they would have got a lot of the money very quickly. Instead they called Sean to a meeting in Dublin so they could storm his business in his absence.

• Advertisement

But unkel, look at that hang-dog expression on his face. He feels sorry for what he did. Let's get him a present.

Aye to be honest I felt sorry for him when it all started to emerge. Big greedy gamble, all went wrong, he seemed very sorry and he would cough up.

The former two turned out to be true. the latter two were two fingers - don't give a fukc and let's hide all the money :(

Knowing this country he'll get a night or two before some token "efforts" are made to undo what they did and that'll be that. As I said on another thread he and the rest should be kept in custody until everything has been accounted for and returned and then maybe 30 days on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

I can't help but grin and roll my eyes to heaven at the same time when a teacher in my primary school used to laud him as a mathematical and business minded genius, making it out as if we should've all strived to be like Mr. Quinn. :rolleyes: And that same teacher was the one teaching us extra maths, there's surely a hint of irony in there somewhere. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

He'll get a very short term (weeks rather than months) if at all, and it will be in a minimum security facility, with protection from other inmates, a nice room to himself and 3 meals a day, a warm shower and probably a telly with the bogger channels.

Probably a lot more comfortably than some families out there who couldn't afford dinner this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Waste of money housing him and feeding him. Tag him and let him off up the mountains to fend for himself for a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Mountjoy is full

He'll likely go to Loughan House

Up in his part of the country in Cavan and it's minimum security

Wikipedia tells me
    The Centre has an operational capacity of 160 adult male inmates who have been deemed suitable for residency in an open centre. It has a mix of single and shared rooms. All rooms are equipped with televisions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I think that if the government/Nama hadn't tried to go behind his back and went to such underhand tricks they would have got a lot of the money very quickly.
    Nonsense - Sean would have even more time to hide the goodies, and the Govt would have got even less. But your naivety is quite touching - sweet!

Nonsense - Sean would have even more time to hide the goodies, and the Govt would have got even less. But your naivety is quite touching - sweet!

Perhaps but I think both sides were very much in the wrong here! Its like the bank taking your house because you're a few weeks late on the mortgage. Even if you never intended on paying there is still a procedure to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Perhaps but I think both sides were very much in the wrong here! Its like the bank taking your house because you're a few weeks late on the mortgage. Even if you never intended on paying there is still a procedure to follow.

NAMA followed every legal procedure in the book

NAMA followed every legal procedure in the book

I believe that calling Sean Quinn to a meeting in Dublin so that he was away from his offices for Nama to take control was pretty underhand! This happened at a time when Sean Quinn had ticked all the boxes and has not resisted repayment in anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

This is about contempt of court. He deliberately disobeyed a court order. This case has really nothing to do with bankruptcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

What on earth us the atory with the Quinn apologists that keep popping up when he gets in the news? He did illegal things for selfish reasons and saddled everyone else with a nine-figure bill, and then he illegally transferred assets out of the reach of the creditors.

And what on earth does a meeting in Dublin have to do with anything? Nama were legally entitled to do what they did no matter where Quinn was. It's not as if he'd have been at the head of three hundred bloody Spartans fighting Nama off except for this meeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Nope. Its Ireland. In Ireland, we dont jail our corrupt businessmen, bankers or politicians, we just give them a little talking to and then its back to business the next day, or, to keep the lawyers in the money, we set up a twenty year tribunal to investigate and then release a whitewash whilst the crooks in question are living it up off their golden handshake cash. Im ashamed to be Irish at times when I see how the Government act and what they allow happen.

Only in Ireland could Mick Wallace admit on live tv he broke the law, and then read a bleeding heart 10minute statement and go back to work no questions asked. Also, all this business with Quinn is deflecting from the 2 other scumbags Sean Fitzpatrick and Fingers Fingleton, no sign of them getting hauled away from their decades of corruption, its a sickener :rolleyes:

What on earth us the atory with the Quinn apologists that keep popping up when he gets in the news? He did illegal things for selfish reasons and saddled everyone else with a nine-figure bill, and then he illegally transferred assets out of the reach of the creditors.

And what on earth does a meeting in Dublin have to do with anything? Nama were legally entitled to do what they did no matter where Quinn was. It's not as if he'd have been at the head of three hundred bloody Spartans fighting Nama off except for this meeting.

My issue is that both sides were in the wrong but before Sean Quinn could be given a chance to pay up he was sneekily stripped of his business. What he did afterwards was wrong too an I have no problem if he is sentenced to jail time for that. Its a shame that the bankers and politicians will never get the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

He wasn't sneakily stripped of his business, it was seized because he owed a gargantuan sum of money and there was zero realistic prospect of repayment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I believe that calling Sean Quinn to a meeting in Dublin so that he was away from his offices for Nama to take control was pretty underhand! This happened at a time when Sean Quinn had ticked all the boxes and has not resisted repayment in anyway.

You don't really believe that it'd have made even a small bit of difference whether or not he was there do you? You can be guaranteed that NAMA would have showed up with all the relevant paperwork with all the I's dotted and all the T's crossed.

If anything I'd wish that NAMA was a little bit more underhanded in their dealings with these characters. Unfortunately they have to play by the rules while the likes of Quinn obviously have no problems bending, breaking or sidestepping the rules.

He'll get a very short term (weeks rather than months) if at all

He hasn't been convicted of a crime and so he hasn't been sentenced. The good thing is he has been found in contempt of court. Which means he will be in prison until he is no longer in contempt of court. If he doesn't cooperate he will stay in jail. Until he dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Not surprised

What's contempt?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Nope. Its Ireland. In Ireland, we dont jail our corrupt businessmen, bankers or politicians, we just give them a little talking to and then its back to business the next day, or, to keep the lawyers in the money, we set up a twenty year tribunal to investigate and then release a whitewash whilst the crooks in question are living it up off their golden handshake cash. Im ashamed to be Irish at times when I see how the Government act and what they allow happen.

Only in Ireland could Mick Wallace admit on live tv he broke the law, and then read a bleeding heart 10minute statement and go back to work no questions asked. Also, all this business with Quinn is deflecting from the 2 other scumbags Sean Fitzpatrick and Fingers Fingleton, no sign of them getting hauled away from their decades of corruption, its a sickener :rolleyes:
    Spot on here poster...these things do take a lot of time and the financial forensics are labour and time intensive.

You can't risk going to court and having the case thrown out on a technicality.

Unlike the previous shower of crooks and gombeen men the present Govt.at least show some signs of wanting to give these gentlemen their just deserts.

They went after the Drummer Boy anyways and did a bit of damage.

These fookoos have necks like the proverbial jockeys tackle and the State need to take off the kid gloves and go after them...especially Fingers who is reportedly a right nasty peice of work.

And the neck of Seanie staying in that 5 star in Poland while the poor unfortunates who have to pay for his actions cannot afford to feed their kids.

These guys should get some chokey time ...and quick..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

unkel wrote: »
    He'll get a very short term (weeks rather than months) if at all

He hasn't been convicted of a crime and so he hasn't been sentenced. The good thing is he has been found in contempt of court. Which means he will be in prison until he is no longer in contempt of court. If he doesn't cooperate he will stay in jail. Until he dies.
    We can only hope

• Advertisement
Advertisement