Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quinn found guilty of contempt of court

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ramshackeed...How much money did Seany Quinn pay you to join here and post all that bullshyte??:

Have you seen the video footage of him and his family lieing and making up stories to get away with things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Celeb wrote: »
    Luckily as a tax payer, we have the diligent Anglo Irish. They're on our side and want what's best for us. They weren't afraid to stand up against the Greedy Gambler and finally brought him to justice.

Sarcasm?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

paddy147 wrote: »
    The man is so sly and sleazy that he even tried to claim back his daughters wedding costs as a "marketing event" for the hotel where the wedding took place.

FFS how much more low can this man and his family go on a bid to keep and hide money from the state??

wonder did he ever pull that stroke before. Hope revenue looks into it. And he told Tommie Gorman of RTE that he is just a simple man !

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

wonder did he ever pull that stroke before. Hope revenue looks into it. And he told Tommie Gorman of RTE that he is just a simple man !

Well I think he's an honest man corrupted by circumstances. Once he is still going to Mass in Khaavan he will retain his local support.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

People are thinking about just this event in isolation and forgetting what lead to this situation, what needs to be remembered is that Sean Quinn created a huge amount of wealth and employment around the border area since the 70's that can still be seen today even if he is no longer in charge of most of it.
    When Sean started leveraging assets and borrowing from Anglo, it was a reasonable thing to do at the time, he joined in the 90's-00's along with every other major developer in the country. Up until a few months previous the collapse, it was widely accepted that Anglo was powering the economic boom and their business plan was copied by all the other banks in Ireland so he was not the only one to be taken in. He was then told that they had a liquidity issue and that the fundamentals were still fine but if they didnt get the necessary cash injection right at that time, the bank would go to the wall.. If he invested he would actually make a fortune and they would lend him the money to do it, it would be fine.
    Up until that point, Anglo had a good rep and the Irish economy was preceived by most as strong up to the crash, it was generally thought that Anglo would survive it (at least I did), they had been too strong and successful in the past to go out of business. The main point on this is that the entire government fell for the same lie, hence the bank guarantee, mainly because Anglo lied to all these people big time not just Sean Quinn.
    So now Sean takes a punt on Anglo,it goes tits up and he is left way in the red. His major cash-cow (Quinn Insurance) has been taken away from him meaning he has no legitimate way to repay these loans. In fairness, the fact that he used Quinn Insurance as a guarantee for less viable businesses and to buy Anglo stocks was bad business but the way the property market was at the time they were set-up, made these businesses and decisions look viable, essential even.
    Now the property crash goes into freefall which gaurantees their demise and the demise of Anglo.
    So at this stage Sean has gone from Billionaire to in the red big style, almost all of his businesses, all in Ireland and Britain anyway, had been taken from him and he now has Anglo at his door hunting him out of it for "their" money back. This is the same institution that screwed him over just months previous. If in his shoes, I would personally feel bitter about the treatment by Anglo, the fact that the government fell for the same lie but they personally were allowed keep their huge salaries and pensions along with the property developers that have been propped up by NAMA and of course the majority of bankers got away with it too.

He is now only left with control of businesses and properties outside of the EU, put yourself in his shoes at this stage. Would you just give up all control of the business empire that you personally built to a wreckless bank/ government that has already taken a large chunk of it? I am aware that it is our taxes that is now footing the bill but that is because the government made bank dept into soverign dept in 2008, this was their choice, not his. The German and French banks that lent to Anglo should be footing this bill so from Sean Quinn's perspective, the Irish taxpayer is been used to get them out of the mess they got themselves into and to gain the moral high-ground and nothing more, the money he lost was swindled from him by a corrupt institution and government, I would definitely do the same thing. His bad decision with Anglo definitely played a huge part in his downfall and was wreckless but I really don't think that this is enough to brand him in the same category as Sean Fitz and David Drumm who knew the state of the bank but still conned both the government and the shareholders into investing.
    Before you judge what Sean Quinn has done, here is a very similar moral question for a lay person:
    If you were missold a mortgage to buy a property and it is now worth only half of what you had paid for it, it was repocessed by the bank, you have a second property outside of Europe, would you feel compelled to sell your second property to cover the difference in what the property was worth pre boom to post to pay back the bank?

if I could get away with it, no way would I pay it back and i think most people would do the same in his shoes
    rant over..

Well Sean Quinn, for all his reputed toughness as a businessman was naive in the extreme to think he could buy into property in Eastern Europe and run it in a way that allowed him to retain control. Anyone with a titter of wit well knows that the landscape over there is an absolute quagmire of deceit and criminal corruption controlled by gangsters who could run courses for the Mafia.

Meetings in Kiev and elsewhere with Russian aficionadas carry high risk status starting with the distinct possibility of total disappearance (and I don't mean voluntarily) of the bold Sean and his sons/supporters. They just have no clue whatever as to what they are dealing with over there.
    The corruption is endemic and all pervasive throughout society embracing government, police, judiciary and the business world. Innocence and ignorance are the only qualities that would deliver you to that reality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

The corruption is endemic and all pervasive throughout society embracing government, police, judiciary and the business world. Innocence and ignorance are the only qualities that would deliver you to that reality.

Bit like Ireland then ?

Look ! Quinn is a greedy bastid who thought his millions would protect him.

Took a fcukin massive gamble an ...failed and now wants our children to pay for it.

That's it in a nutshell !!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭singlesnights

Dionysius2 wrote: »
    Well I think he's an honest man corrupted by circumstances.

That's the impression I get.

While I've never met Sean Quinn himself, I did work with one of his daughters and found her to be absolutely down-to-earth and very pleasant. I also met another one of his daughters, again totally sound.

Just my two cents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

That's the impression I get.

While I've never met Sean Quinn himself, I did work with one of his daughters and found her to be absolutely down-to-earth and very pleasant. I also met another one of his daughters, again totally sound.

Just my two cents.

What has that got to do with anything ?

I'm sure Sean / Sean Jnr / Peter Darragh are lovely fellas and great craic altogether.

They are just trying to rip off our children for millions amd millions.

Get real you gormless fool...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

People are thinking about just this event in isolation and forgetting what lead to this situation, what needs to be remembered is that Sean Quinn created a huge amount of wealth and employment around the border area since the 70's that can still be seen today even if he is no longer in charge of most of it.
    When Sean started leveraging assets and borrowing from Anglo, it was a reasonable thing to do at the time, he joined in the 90's-00's along with every other major developer in the country. Up until a few months previous the collapse, it was widely accepted that Anglo was powering the economic boom and their business plan was copied by all the other banks in Ireland so he was not the only one to be taken in. He was then told that they had a liquidity issue and that the fundamentals were still fine but if they didnt get the necessary cash injection right at that time, the bank would go to the wall.. If he invested he would actually make a fortune and they would lend him the money to do it, it would be fine.
    Up until that point, Anglo had a good rep and the Irish economy was preceived by most as strong up to the crash, it was generally thought that Anglo would survive it (at least I did), they had been too strong and successful in the past to go out of business. The main point on this is that the entire government fell for the same lie, hence the bank guarantee, mainly because Anglo lied to all these people big time not just Sean Quinn.
    So now Sean takes a punt on Anglo,it goes tits up and he is left way in the red. His major cash-cow (Quinn Insurance) has been taken away from him meaning he has no legitimate way to repay these loans. In fairness, the fact that he used Quinn Insurance as a guarantee for less viable businesses and to buy Anglo stocks was bad business but the way the property market was at the time they were set-up, made these businesses and decisions look viable, essential even.
    Now the property crash goes into freefall which gaurantees their demise and the demise of Anglo.
    So at this stage Sean has gone from Billionaire to in the red big style, almost all of his businesses, all in Ireland and Britain anyway, had been taken from him and he now has Anglo at his door hunting him out of it for "their" money back. This is the same institution that screwed him over just months previous. If in his shoes, I would personally feel bitter about the treatment by Anglo, the fact that the government fell for the same lie but they personally were allowed keep their huge salaries and pensions along with the property developers that have been propped up by NAMA and of course the majority of bankers got away with it too.

He is now only left with control of businesses and properties outside of the EU, put yourself in his shoes at this stage. Would you just give up all control of the business empire that you personally built to a wreckless bank/ government that has already taken a large chunk of it? I am aware that it is our taxes that is now footing the bill but that is because the government made bank dept into soverign dept in 2008, this was their choice, not his. The German and French banks that lent to Anglo should be footing this bill so from Sean Quinn's perspective, the Irish taxpayer is been used to get them out of the mess they got themselves into and to gain the moral high-ground and nothing more, the money he lost was swindled from him by a corrupt institution and government, I would definitely do the same thing. His bad decision with Anglo definitely played a huge part in his downfall and was wreckless but I really don't think that this is enough to brand him in the same category as Sean Fitz and David Drumm who knew the state of the bank but still conned both the government and the shareholders into investing.
    Before you judge what Sean Quinn has done, here is a very similar moral question for a lay person:
    If you were missold a mortgage to buy a property and it is now worth only half of what you had paid for it, it was repocessed by the bank, you have a second property outside of Europe, would you feel compelled to sell your second property to cover the difference in what the property was worth pre boom to post to pay back the bank?

if I could get away with it, no way would I pay it back and i think most people would do the same in his shoes
    rant over..

There is no doubt that people from Anglo should be doing about 20 years behind bars. Its a mystery to me why they haven't taken some of them to court. Nobody seems to know why.

Sean messed up big time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ramshackled

Dionysius2 wrote: »
    Well Sean Quinn, for all his reputed toughness as a businessman was naive in the extreme to think he could buy into property in Eastern Europe and run it in a way that allowed him to retain control. Anyone with a titter of wit well knows that the landscape over there is an absolute quagmire of deceit and criminal corruption controlled by gangsters who could run courses for the Mafia.

Meetings in Kiev and elsewhere with Russian aficionadas carry high risk status starting with the distinct possibility of total disappearance (and I don't mean voluntarily) of the bold Sean and his sons/supporters. They just have no clue whatever as to what they are dealing with over there.

I agree whole-heartily, he is playing a dangerous game but he has been backed into a corner, he has no other choice but to deal with these criminals. At the same time, if he gave Anglo/the Irish state access to these funds they would take everything anyway, percentage wise he has a slightly better chance of retaining access to at least some of these funds through this avenue especially if he has spread it around a few different "companies" over there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Celeb

Sean Quinn must be stopped and put back in his place (hopefully jail!) He wants our children to pay for his massive gambling debts - why does he think he can get away with it. I'm getting f**king angrier everyday, knowing he's strutting around the place a free man, in full knowledge of the crimes he's committed on us hard working tax-payers.
    We the people should all get behind Anglo Irish. They may have made some mistakes in the past, but they're on the right track now and are really redeeming themselves. For that, you have to salute them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Hmm, all the Russian involvement in the Quinn business and family problems were brought on by themselves. The present row is between the Quinns, the courts and the IBRC (the body set up to try and sort out the mess between Sean et al and Anglo-Irish Bank). Any mention of Anglo-Irish now is simply a smoke-cloud by the Quinns to divert attention from their illegalities. The courts are simply applying the law as Mr Quinn would have wanted it to do, if he and his family were the applicants and not the defendants.

I'm wondering if the court reviewing the living allowances being paid out weekly to the Quinns includes anything to the person apparently residing outside the jurisdiction avoiding a warrant from the High Court, and whether it should take note of that fact when deciding to approve any subsistence allowance to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I say have their Russian assets stripped and then send them there where they will be found months from now in a shallow grave.

It's reported that the last of the Quinn Group companies have been removed from Quinn-family control by IBRC having the group put into liquidation after it appointed a receiver. IBRC also moved the group companies into another corporate-structure, thus putting them out of reach of the Quinn family.

There are still stories about how some of the family members have received salaries from (alleged) former Quinn-controlled companies which have been reportedly sold to Russian concerns and out of Quinn control or connection. I'm still surprised that a family member could (reportedly) say she did not know who paid for her wedding, given the apparent cost of it. I'd have thought the origin of such a kind wedding gift would be known to the recipient, sooner or later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

He's not even Irish born in the North why stick up for the corrupt xxxxxer

Hootanany wrote: »

Yes, cos Sean Quinn is definately a foreign name... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

How dare you. How fúckin dare you. Am not defending Sean Quinn, but every nationalist this side of the border who are Irish through and through.

The Quinns use the border as a bolt hole, just like the certain gunmen used to. Only this time Quinns hide up North.

The Quinns use the border as a bolt hole, just like the certain gunmen used to. Only this time Quinns hide up North.

That would be the one advantage of having a border...

The border choked all business in the region for decades. The only business there was fuel, cigarettes and the like of Sean Quinn. The Dáil neglected anyone that far north.

• Advertisement

girl2 wrote: »
    How dare you. How fúckin dare you. Am not defending Sean Quinn, but every nationalist this side of the border who are Irish through and through.

Yes you are He is not from the South most of his jobs are up North.:cool:

And dont like the cursing

Yes you are He is not from the South most of his jobs are up North.:cool:

And dont like the cursing

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Better to say nothing and move on sometimes...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Better to say nothing and move on sometimes...

Why

and plenty of smuggling too. If Quinn had not lost the run of himself and got so greedy he could be a great advantage to the region.

Oooh, big wooden spoon inserted :eek:

He was born in Norin Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

He was born in Norin Ireland

Can people in the North apply for Irish passports?

Biggins wrote: »
    Can people in the North apply for Irish passports?

Yes if they have Irish Grandparents.

Advertisement