Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madden 13 Season Options

Options
  • 26-06-2012 10:56am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Poll added

You choice for Madden 13 Season Options 12 votes

4 Day week (4 seasons) No Early Advancement
    0% 0 votes
    5 Day Week (possible 4 seasons) Early Advancements
    33% 4 votes
    5 day Week (3 Seasons) Early Advancements (possible long time between end of season and M14
    66% 8 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Am I missing any options?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Looks good.

Just want to make a couple of points here to be considered.

1) Not everyone can play with the regularity that a 4 day advancement would require. I could BUT if it meant we would lose people from the league who could not commit I would not like to see that happen.

2) Ref early advancements. I like to know exactly when my gameweeks are so I can schedule the games. Thats just my preference. If someone is looking for early advancements my suggestion they play more leagues.

I wait to see what other points people make which should be considered before casting my vote !!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ibmax

Am I missing any options?

7 day week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Think you've got it covered ! When you remembered to put in the poll :P

Personally I'll struggle to commit to a 4 day game week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

My preference is a 4 day week with no early advancement for the reason Berty outlines. The other option is a 5 day week with early advancement.

But tbh i'm easy on either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

I voted for every five days I think I would struggle with a four day advance.

As for early advancement if we get all games played early then we can advance early but people should not be but under pressure to get games played early which seems to happening now.

5 day week with no early advancements would be my preference because I doubt we'd have many to be honest , if the league grows close to 32 people there won't be any .

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

I feel that early advancements are a luxury, some people think they are a necessity.

I like the 5 day system we have in place, would try and make 4 days work if the group decides to go that way.

ibmax wrote: »
    7 day week :)

I should probably add some reasoning behind this. I mentioned it yesterday but come September, I will (and i'm sure others will too) be playing sport multiple times per week. Combining this with a 9-5 job and plenty to do in the "real world" will make the 5 day week tough for me.

The guys said it above, if you have enough time that you can commit to a 4 or less day week then maybe you could consider joining additional leagues.

Personally, I liked the way this year's league was run with a 7 day week for the first season, shortening it to 5 days as the season's progressed. The 5-day-week seasons coincided with less busy periods of the year so it worked well. Irrespective of whether you run 5 day weeks from the beginning or a 7 day first season and then 5 day weeks from then on you still only end up with the same number of seasons... 3 :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

7 days is way too long in my opinion, I'd lose interest pretty quick if there is a week between games.

I play sports 3 nights a week as it is, not all sports are busy at the same time of year, for me it's summer that's the most busy but I can still play late games or whatever.

For me I'd prefer 4 days but would manage with 5 days also. Not interested in a league with 7 days weeks where 50% of the games are CPU.

• Advertisement

ibmax wrote:
    The 5-day-week seasons coincided with less busy periods of the year so it worked well. Irrespective of whether you run 5 day weeks from the beginning or a 7 day first season and then 5 day weeks from then on you still only end up with the same number of seasons... 3 :)

That's a very good point to be honest. Why should we force 3 seasons quickly and then have a gap in the summer before madden 13 ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That's a very good point to be honest. Why should we force 3 seasons quickly and then have a gap in the summer before madden 13 ?

Well there are other comps we can run if people are interested. Also the fact that it is possible to run 4 seasons with 5 games per week with a few early advances.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well there are other comps we can run if people are interested. Also the fact that it is possible to run 4 seasons with 5 games per week with a few early advances.

Its possible but if we have more people joining the league the chances of early advancement will decrease with more and more human vs human games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Its not really possible Adrian. You would need a fast advance on 55 of the 84 gameweeks...that is not going to happen. More human v human games as Dave says makes that even more unlikely.

Consider as well the league is still gowing. Generally guys like to dip their toe in the water, play maybe a game per week, then find they like the game and want to play more frequently. That combined with the need to do "real world" stuff suggests slower is better....initally.

The No.1 priority should be to fill the league.

Well I think we should at least leave the option there if we are doing 5 days per week, I'd agree with fixing days if we went to 4 days per week.

If people aren't getting their games played then we will advance every 5 days.

At present there are too many CPU games and it can be weeks between your human games which kind of defeats the purpose of playing in an online franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

We have to remember, we are hoping to get 5-7 playes back that would put the league up to the high 20s of players.

We have to look at do we want a 4th season? It would be around this time next year. We have suffered alot with holidays. I know the Euros won't be on, but really we only lost Santry and Raoul (for a few days) to the Euros. Some people have commented that they feel this period is dragging and there are too many cpu games. So is a 4th season really wanted?

Also why is real world becoming "Real World"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Am up for either of the 5-day options, fair number of days. Personally would vote for 5-day week (no advancements) option if it was there
    4 day weeks would be too much for me, probably wouldn't be able to commit to it. Tried playing in the BFL and the IG Fantasy Franchise (once every 7 days) and I couldn't juggle the two.
    Don't mind if that means we have a big gap before Madden 14, can run mini-league (European Championships style) or something else to bridge the gap.

Point made by a few people, and I'll second it; if the league isn't advancing fast enough for you and you want more Madden, then you should look into joining other leagues to fill the gap. The guys at maddenpfl do a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭davetherave

I'll hopefully be rejoining the league for M13.

I think a five day week with no early advancements would be best. Assuming the Who's who thread is up to date there are 22 members now. Let's say we get 25-26 for next season. Four days to arrange 13 matches doesn't really seem very long.

Ibmax also makesa good point. You could have a seven day week for regular season, maybe knock it down to five days around the holidays/new year when people are out of school/college/work etc. and have the playoffs as a five day week?

etloveslsd wrote: »

Also why is real world becoming "Real World"?

I think that's my fault. Got a bit over excited with my keyboard!!'#:%"></?

there it goes again!!!

This is a lot of my thinking. I'm sure there are a lot of guys who come late August/early September will be well into pre-season training for the football, rugby, GAA (is that the right time of year???), IAFL, etc with the seasons starting come late September.

As Dave says, is there any harm in running a 7 day first season when all this is going on? It might enable more people to join the league which has got to be the ultimate aim. Then as things start to slow down during the season you can then reduce the Boards turnaround to 5 days.

As Dave again points out, this would cut out a big wait in the summer between the end of M13 and M14.

There is zero possibility of 4 seasons for the reasons Berty listed. People can still play all the other leagues during this time of course if they feel the 7 day wait is too long!!!

• Advertisement

7 days would bore me to tears (and i play 2 games a week in another franchise) This is my primary one

If anything people would be busier in the Summer than the winter.

I've kind of stated my point at this stage and don't want to repeat myself.

I'll see what the majority decide before making any decisions, maybe we need the 7 day option above,

I don't agree that there is zero possibility of 4 seasons though. I think there is every possibility of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I voted 4 day week no early advancements. Everyone seems to be saying they can't do 4 days and early advancements are making it tough to schedule, but look at the other side. It's a right pain in the ass waiting 5 days for every game when I play all mine within 3 days, most on the first day, and waiting around for 2 months having only played 4 player versus player games in the franchise so far. I don't play any other madden (offline franchises/practise/minigames/superstar are very boring and what's the fun in playing some other league in which you won't even know the people you're bragging to?).

What we could look at is maybe if we get 3 seasons played using the current system next year and if we have 2 months left sim the first 6 weeks or something (maybe do 6-8 gameweeks of 2 days (but only for player versus player games as people who are at home all the time shouldn't have a 6 week head start) and then carry on like normal) to get a fourth one in.

matthew8 wrote: »
    I voted 4 day week no early advancements. Everyone seems to be saying they can't do 4 days and early advancements are making it tough to schedule, but look at the other side. It's a right pain in the ass waiting 5 days for every game when I play all mine within 3 days, most on the first day, and waiting around for 2 months having only played 4 player versus player games in the franchise so far. I don't play any other madden (offline franchises/practise/minigames/superstar are very boring and what's the fun in playing some other league in which you won't even know the people you're bragging to?).

Needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few :D

You have played yours so early this season due to the amount of CPU games, that may not be the case for M13.

Also you could join other leagues... you will get to know people that way.

You have played yours so early this season due to the amount of CPU games, that may not be the case for M13.
    And the fact that I got my Chargers, Ravens and Bengals game played quickly and I was available for them. The only time I have been unavailable for a time was when I played you and I still played it early.

Also you could join other leagues... you will get to know people that way.

You guys already try my patience. If I joined another league they would end up making me very very angry.

And the fact that I got my Chargers, Ravens and Bengals game played quickly and I was available for them. The only time I have been unavailable for a time was when I played you and I still played it early.

You guys already try my patience. If I joined another league they would end up making me very very angry.

But they were available for you, they could have just as easily not been available.

If the week is advanced on schedule I probably wont be able to play until Monday (CPU Game), not everyone is as easily available.

Hmmm time to polish off that ban hammer

Banhammer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

What we could look at is maybe if we get 3 seasons played using the current system next year and if we have 2 months left sim the first 6 weeks or something (maybe do 6-8 gameweeks of 2 days (but only for player versus player games as people who are at home all the time shouldn't have a 6 week head start) and then carry on like normal) to get a fourth one in.

Interesting suggestion Matthew.
    While I said earlier my preference was for for 5 days (no advancement), I wouldn't mind 5 days with early advancements.
    If we have a decent chunk of time before Madden 14, then I like Matthew's idea of seeing how many Gameweeks we have space for and simming a few weeks to make up a season 4.

If anything people would be busier in the Summer than the winter.

I'm far busier in the winter, for the fact that i play sports plus the NFL season is back on.

I think people aren't recognizing that fact that the league is going to go up in number in madden 13 and there will be much more human vs human games. If the majority of people come back for madden 13 who've played at least 1 season in the league. We'll have 25 players. Add in a few new guys you'll get when the game is released or the NFL starts back up and we could hit 32 handily enough

Adrian: the odds of us getting a 4th season are very very low with early advancements. We'd need 65 % of game weeks to be advanced early.

If we only decide on 3 season's I see no point why we would speed up the franchise to finish up in late June/ early July

Interesting suggestion Matthew.
    While I said earlier my preference was for for 5 days (no advancement), I wouldn't mind 5 days with early advancements.
    If we have a decent chunk of time before Madden 14, then I like Matthew's idea of seeing how many Gameweeks we have space for and simming a few weeks to make up a season 4.

I like this... I really like this...
    We could do the draft etc so people have a real interest in it.

Matthew cracking idea.

However.. people will get injured :pac:

• Advertisement

I like this... I really like this...
    We could do the draft etc so people have a real interest in it.

Matthew cracking idea.

However.. people will get injured :pac:

Yeah the injuries can be rotten with the sim, but we could turn them off for the 4th season then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement