Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madden 13 Season Options

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

matthew8 wrote: »
    What we could look at is maybe if we get 3 seasons played using the current system next year and if we have 2 months left sim the first 6 weeks or something (maybe do 6-8 gameweeks of 2 days (but only for player versus player games as people who are at home all the time shouldn't have a 6 week head start) and then carry on like normal) to get a fourth one in.

I am anti this: my reasons are If someone else suggested this the Raiders would be anti this. Seeing how the Raiders suggested this, I am assuming he is pro this. Therefore to stop some cosmic implosion, I will stand against it.

I saved you all, no need for thanks! :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm far busier in the winter, for the fact that i play sports plus the NFL season is back on.

Well playing in the league has shown that interest in general is a lot higher in the winter than the summer.
    I think people aren't recognizing that fact that the league is going to go up in number in madden 13 and there will be much more human vs human games. If the majority of people come back for madden 13 who've played at least 1 season in the league. We'll have 25 players. Add in a few new guys you'll get when the game is released or the NFL starts back up and we could hit 32 handily enough

Adrian: the odds of us getting a 4th season are very very low with early advancements. We'd need 65 % of game weeks to be advanced early.

If we only decide on 3 season's I see no point why we would speed up the franchise to finish up in late June/ early July

It would be nice to get 32 people but I don't see it happening about 22-25 people is more realistic. You're assuming that everyone who had madden 12 will buy 13, but I don't think that will necessarily happen.

Going as we have done for the last 2 seasons I think we would fit in 4 seasons to be honest as we have been flying through the weeks.

By your suggestion if I played my game on Monday and then had a bye, I would be waiting 2 full weeks to play a game. I don't at all get the logic of having everyone wait around for 7 days if all the games have been played. The league losses a lot of momentum that way and it's hard to stay interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

5 Day Week (possible 4 seasons) Early Advancements

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Looks like the third one is winning it, and it seems to me though most people seem to want 4 seasons those that don't would be a big loss if they are frequently missing games, so hopefully we can get some early advances and we might even have time for a fourth season without sims.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

with such a small number of voters one vote could swing it.

However I think the decision should be up to Santry and Raoul, they'll need to take on board the poll, but their job is to do whats best for the BFL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Yeah, I would also think that second preferences would swing the vote big-time.
    If Option 1 lost, I would guess anyone who voted for that would much prefer Option 2 over Option 3.
    I don't think the three options are mutually exclusive, should be used to inform the eventual decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Lads,

Back out working so kind of busy. Would 3 seasons 5 days with early advancements and then a 4th season with 4 day weeks work? As there is always a drop off in numbers in the summer.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Lads,

Back out working so kind of busy. Would 3 seasons 5 days with early advancements and then a 4th season with 4 day weeks work? As there is always a drop off in numbers in the summer.

Just some stats, using this forum as rough guide:

Season 2/Week 8 started on 6th March.
    Season 3/Week 13 will finish on 28th June
    Total of 115 days
    27 Gameweeks (incl. a draft)
    Average of 4.26 days/Gameweek

Pro-rated over 4 seasons (84 Gameweeks) = 358 days
    Now that pace might not be sustainable if there are more Human games (hopefully), but worth noting.

If we really want 4 seasons (which I personally do and currently the poll suggests we do), then we would be left with two options assuming the 4-day week is out:
    1. 5-day week w/ early advancements (possibly sim a couple of weeks in season 4 if we think we'll be tight for time at that stage before Madden 14)
    2. 5-day week no early advancements & sim 11 weeks of Season 4 (maybe less simmed weeks if post-season weeks shorter)

Lads,

Really I think it's just something we'll have to come back to at the end of the third season to see what's neccessary to fit a fourth in, but for the first 3 seasons it is indeed looking like it will be 5 day week and early advancements.

I think the end of season 2 is an exception. Way faster than what we've usually had, and you're counting the draft and superbowl as the same week in averaging, but you forget that we then count 88 gameweeks, totalling 375 days.

If you want to count the draft as a separate Gameweek then:

Total of 115 days
    28 = 27 Gameweeks + draft
    Average of 4.11 days/Gameweek

Pro-rated over 4 seasons (88 Gameweeks) = 362 days

• Advertisement

If you want to count the draft as a separate Gameweek then:

Total of 115 days
    28 = 27 Gameweeks + draft
    Average of 4.11 days/Gameweek

Pro-rated over 4 seasons (88 Gameweeks) = 362 days

No I misread your post, I read it as 27 gameweeks, the draft being one, but really it was 27 weeks, draft included.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ibmax

A few questions/thoughts to generate responses/opinions:

1) This year, the first season was a 7-day-week and then was reduced to 5 days. What was the thinking behind this?

2) Since the middle of season 2, people have steadily dropped out and others have taken their place. What changed between the end of season 1 and the middle of season 2 to kick start this decline in the original players?

3) If you only have 4 day week, and the game week is Monday-Thursday, what happens when one player work day shifts (myself, ET, Heli, etc...) and the other night shift (notyalc, empacher, etc...)

4) What is the difference between option 2 and option 3 in the poll. Are they not the same thing worded differently?

5) Someone commented, interest is greater in the winter than the summer. Why is this the case and what causes it to drop? By my count there have been 10 new players join (Bucs, Falcons, Redskins, Raiders, Chiefs, Seahawks, Dolphins, Cowboys, Redskins and Broncos) since the beginning of season 2 (springtime). That's a significant number in my opinion and suggests interest is always there though availability/accessibility may not be.

6) Based on the comments above (not just mine but the whole thread) and the pattern of the BFL this year, is there a potential spiral effect happening. Shorter game weeks mean less players would be available to play. This means the guys remaining are playing more CPU matches. More CPU matches subsequently means shorter weeks with even fewer players being able to take part. Which in turn means even more CPU games and so on until you have 1 person playing 31 CPU teams... probably Matthew ;)

7) Has anyone read this far?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Comments in bold
    ibmax wrote: »
    A few questions/thoughts to generate responses/opinions:

1) This year, the first season was a 7-day-week and then was reduced to 5 days. What was the thinking behind this?
    - > Getting a third season in
    2) Since the middle of season 2, people have steadily dropped out and others have taken their place. What changed between the end of season 1 and the middle of season 2 to kick start this decline in the original players?
    ->Real life pretty much

3) If you only have 4 day week, and the game week is Monday-Thursday, what happens when one player work day shifts (myself, ET, Heli, etc...) and the other night shift (notyalc, empacher, etc...)
    -> Yes this will be a big issue - also people who travel for work (me!)

4) What is the difference between option 2 and option 3 in the poll. Are they not the same thing worded differently?
    -> Yes(i need to clear that up

5) Someone commented, interest is greater in the winter than the summer. Why is this the case and what causes it to drop? By my count there have been 10 new players join (Bucs, Falcons, Redskins, Raiders, Chiefs, Seahawks, Dolphins, Cowboys, Redskins and Broncos) since the beginning of season 2 (springtime). That's a significant number in my opinion and suggests interest is always there though availability/accessibility may not be.
    -> People want to be outdoors in the summer.
    For my astro team, we never struggle to attract players in the summer, we do in the winter.

6) Based on the comments above (not just mine but the whole thread) and the pattern of the BFL this year, is there a potential spiral effect happening. Shorter game weeks mean less players would be available to play. This means the guys remaining are playing more CPU matches. More CPU matches subsequently means shorter weeks with even fewer players being able to take part. Which in turn means even more CPU games and so on until you have 1 person playing 31 CPU teams... probably Matthew ;)

-> We have a balance tbh, between getting games done quickly and actually allowing people to get their games done.

Of course!

Numbers spiked during the second season while we had a 5 day week and early advancements.

Yes!

But some good points. One thing Paully said when he left was he didn't have time for Madden, that was with the 5 day schedule. maybe he could have stayed with a longer game week.

A question that has been raised a few times is can we fit in a 4th season. I asked a different question which nobody seems to have picked up on.

Do we want a 4th season?

Santry mentioned that there is always a drop off in Summer. The 4th season would be in summer. We are also seeing people saying they don't want loads of CPU games. Which if there is a similar drop off to this season will result in lots of CPU games.

So I ask do we want a 4th season?

Numbers spiked during the second season while we had a 5 day week and early advancements.

Was a 5 day game week as opposed to a 7 day really a reason why people joined?

Do remember a lot of people being dissatisfied with the 7 day gameweek when we discussed it in the old forum and large majority in favour of the 5-day week.

Think you're right on the question ET. Bearing in mind all we have discussed here, key question that should be on the poll:
    Do we want 4 seasons?

The answer to that will shape what kind of gameweek length we decide on

I think doing 3 seasons with early advancements if players finish their games a few days early but without any pressure on them to do so. And then reassess the situation mid way through season 3 of madden 13 and see how long we have and what to do then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

I think doing 3 seasons with early advancements if players finish their games a few days early but without any pressure on them to do so. And then reassess the situation mid way through season 3 of madden 13 and see how long we have and what to do then.

7day or 5 Day ? if we do 4 season it has to be 4 days I believe. If its 5 day we need 65% of the game weeks to be advanced early . Can we really see absolutely every second game week advanced and more?

If its a 7 day league I believe the league will grow more. If its a 5 day league I believe it will grow as well, prob at similar level as 7 day, with 3 seasons we should have season 1 7 day and season 2-3 5 day IMO )

I think we will struggle to get noobs playing a 4 day week franchise.

Sounds reasonable Santry, am in agreement with that idea alright.
    Would just add one thing; if it was left until midway through season 3 to decide the uncertainty re season 4 would affect decision-making for people as they shape their rosters going into season 3.
    While this wouldn't have been a massive issue in Madden 12, if M13 Connected Careers is all it's promised to be then it could be.
    Might not matter in the overall scheme of things, but just wanted to note it for the discussion.

• Advertisement

It would be to continue as a 5 day week Dave. 7 day week became very boring for people and it lost momentum a bit in my opinion.

Edit: if we get to the end of season 3 and it is a possibility on finishing a 4th season if we did 4 day game weeks then we could run with that. But it's very very difficult to know what the circumstances will be when we haven't seen the game and the fact we are talking about something which will happen in 12 months time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

I absolutely agree with what Dave says 10000%

We need to grow the league, much easier with slower advances.

Last year we had two seasons and an aborted 3rd one. We started off this season doing 7 days. At the end of season 1 guys might remember I posted up that to avoid the trail off like last year we shold consider moving to 5 days and get another two full seasons in rather than just the one and a trail off again. Vote put up changed to 5 day. Did not suit everybody..Paully for example.

We need to get to a full league before we start thinking about moving too quickly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Have to say I disagree with the idea of going back to 7 days between games but if that is the decision that is made then fair enough.

I look at the Fantasy franchise on madden pfl and it is terrible, most games are played by Wednesday and then nothing happens, no discussion and no games until the following Monday, as a result of this I think it is a pretty poor league to be involved in.

Again, I'm happy enough to go with whatever the majority decide but would much prefer to be aiming for a minimum of 3 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

5 day a week with possible early advancements, without people posting ''only X plus X to play, then we can advance'' as we near the end of the gameweek, as it seems to have happened more and more this season and puts pressure on others to try and get their game done early when they still have a day or two to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ibmax

If its a 7 day league I believe the league will grow more.

I think you're dead right Dave. Looking at how things have gone, participants joining and leavin:

- At the beginning of the year (last August), the 7 day week seemed to allow more people take part.
    - By the time the week was reduced to 5 days, many new people didn't have the same commitments they had in September and as such could join then. However, there were also those who didn't have the time with the reduction and had to leave.
    - As the summer arrived it allowed more to join again as commitments were even less but other still left due to time constraints.

I've never been able to find anyone who left because of time constraints during the 7 day gameweek though there are many who couldnt find time when reduced to 5. Based on this i would suggest there is a link between the number of players and the game week length at certain times of the year... not a massive sample size admittedly.

I guess what it looks like as Dave says, you are more likely to grow the league and the number of players in it with a longer week. It could be a case of start slowly, get new guys on board and then when they are more comfortable, speed things up as the season goes on.

Of course early advances could still happen whenever possible!!!

etloveslsd wrote: »
    But some good points. One thing Paully said when he left was he didn't have time for Madden, that was with the 5 day schedule. maybe he could have stayed with a longer game week.

I wouldn't have been able to play with a 7 day gameweek either mate. Real life has just taken over during evenings and nights now until the end of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

It would be to continue as a 5 day week Dave. 7 day week became very boring for people and it lost momentum a bit in my opinion.

If we keep the BPL (i know this isnt working well at the mo, but everything needs time) and the BFL into madden 13 that's two leagues. I really do think to get new people into the league a 7 day week would be best. A 7 day league allows to grow more than just are main franchise ' don't put all your eggs in one basket' type scenario .

I'll play a 5 day a week no problem but what will we do in June when the season 3 is over ? ( I personally wouldn't like a part simmed season)

Can't believe talk of a 7 day gameweek. People want to play the game. That's why I joined this league. 5 day week with no early advancements would be pushing it too. Others need to respect the fact that I and others want to play the game when we say only X to play.

I think you're dead right Dave. Looking at how things have gone, participants joining and leavin:

- At the beginning of the year (last August), the 7 day week seemed to allow more people take part.
    - By the time the week was reduced to 5 days, many new people didn't have the same commitments they had in September and as such could join then. However, there were also those who didn't have the time with the reduction and had to leave.
    - As the summer arrived it allowed more to join again as commitments were even less but other still left due to time constraints.

I've never been able to find anyone who left because of time constraints during the 7 day gameweek though there are many who couldnt find time when reduced to 5. Based on this i would suggest there is a link between the number of players and the game week length at certain times of the year... not a massive sample size admittedly.

I guess what it looks like as Dave says, you are more likely to grow the league and the number of players in it with a longer week. It could be a case of start slowly, get new guys on board and then when they are more comfortable, speed things up as the season goes on.

Of course early advances could still happen whenever possible!!!

I don't see any reason why we would get more people with 7 day advances, in fact I would say a few people would leave in that scenario.

I'm already running a league on this site with 1 game per week if that is what people prefer could they not sign up to that?

Over on Madden PFL there are 3 franhises being run.

1 advances twice per week, 1 advances every 5 days and the other advances every 7 days.

The leagues that advance quicker always seem to be full or actually have a waiting list to join. The one that advances every 7 days is usually about half full. I don't think there is any reason to believe more people would join with longer gameweeks.

Are we going to update the poll to include this option as it seems to me that this is what a lot of people are arguing for?

• Advertisement

Can't believe talk of a 7 day gameweek. People want to play the game. That's why I joined this league. 5 day week with no early advancements would be pushing it too. Others need to respect the fact that I and others want to play the game when we say only X to play.

It gets very annoying though.

If the gameweek is set from say Friday-Tuesday and someone can't get on the Xbox until the Tuesday, they shouldn't have people pushing for them to get their game played by say Monday, which, lets be honest, is what posting ''only X to play'' is all about. In fairness I've done it myself too.

Also, posting ''advance the league'' less than a minute after the last game has finished is needless. The people that can advance the league have lives and can't be on here or the Xbox all the time. They'll advance the league as soon as they get a chance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement