Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madden 13 Season Options

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

matthew8 wrote: »
    I want banter too.

I'm not saying leave the league, I mean join another too, so you get more games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Im going to write a fairly long post now so bare with me,

Were a growing community on Boards.ie, Heck we only got this forum this year ! The league itself has grown in Madden 12. We want it to grow more in Madden 13. We have a large demographic of people in this league from under 18 year olds to over 70s (who am i talking about :pac: )

We need to look the past the short term on this matter. Do we want 1 league , do we want it to be full ? Or do we strive for multiple franchises ? All question we should answer

First off with early advancements . If we get to 25 + members for madden 13 which i feel we will with people coming back from honeymoon's , holidays or just work commitments. Thats 11-13 human games out of 16 games. How you'll get early advancements on a regular basis is beyond me.

If we go 5 days which seem's to be either most people common ground or just there stance. Why make it early advancements then ? It wrecks any planning one can make for say a 15 day period. That's 3 games in 2 weeks. Most people even if they struggle with getting spare time from the real world can manage that.

Even the idea of early advancement can scupper the best laid plans . If a game we starts on Monday-Friday . But its advanced on Thursday. Your then Thursday-Tuesday. That gets advanced on Sunday night. Some people will not be able to keep that level up. Whether if you've played your game early so that you can spend time with wife/girlfriend/ kids or you have other commitments at night.

Now thats for current and returning members of the league.

Think back to when you played Madden Online? Its a great deal to take in, new strategies, new game play, someone with a mic talking to you as they pick 6 your ass?

the speed of the forum was gradual for the majority. 1 game a week, I never noticed a slow down in chatter on this forum/thread we had on american football forum from a 7 day week format, in fact personally it allowed me to do more reviews and previews. Now I personally would prefer this but its not the main reason behind this post.

This post is for the growth of the Madden NFL forum. I know we'll get new people for madden 13 just like we got for madden 12 when it started up. Madden 12 started at 7 day a week and we increased it for 3 seasons.

Now it looks as if the majority can not see the feasibility of a 4th season. So why should we rush the start of Madden 13 when its prime time for recruitment into the league ?

Why not even the first 10/ 12 / 15 weeks of season 1 to be 7 days a week?

I've said it previously what do we do in May/June when season 3 ends if we stick to 5 day format ?

Short term for the forum = 5 day a week from season 1 onwards. Super quick games good fun. May/June are ?? Lurkers/ New comers are less likely to join because it appears from the outside in to be a great deal of time to commit to a computer game.

I know this personally because I've been able to recruit Daflood, Etloveslsd,Notyalc666 and Ibmax . Every single one of them loves American football, everyone of them love Madden. Every single one of them had reservations about joining the league because of the amount of time it takes up ( I may have continued to badger said people to join and they eventually did :pac: )

They were apprehensive about it. In saying that Daflood (Rang me after his first game and sounded like a kid at Xmas, Ibmax rang me straight after his first game and called me douche for only getting him into the league after this long. But the same guys who love it are still concerned about the time it takes up as am I.

Long term for the forum= 7 day a week in Season 1. 5 day format for 2 and 3 season . New people get to grips with there team and start playing gradually and hopefully become part of the community for the long term.

How many friendlies are people going to be playing with there team and playbook in madden 13 ? A Lot i'd say, because its not fantasy anymore , people will drill there team to make it as effective as possible.

I've stated this all and still there no mention of the BPL . Adrian love child. Now for madden 13 if we start it from the start it could turn out to be very good. Now personally i wouldn't join it(time constraints) but i would be more than happy to take over some of the organizational parts of it on board and it could become a staple for the forum.

This is a key moment for the community, just like when we fought to try have the forum in the american football forum.

I'm going to hold off posting on this thread for awhile, I'd suggest we all do the same, as Raoul eloquently put it. Its long way away

My two pence

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

7 days per week and I'm out. I'll go join a 48 hour league on operation sports and play 10 seasons instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ibmax

Im going to write a fairly long post now so bare with me,

Were a growing community on Boards.ie, Heck we only got this forum this year ! The league itself has grown in Madden 12. We want it to grow more in Madden 13. We have a large demographic of people in this league from under 18 year olds to over 70s (who am i talking about :pac: )

We need to look the past the short term on this matter. Do we want 1 league , do we want it to be full ? Or do we strive for multiple franchises ? All question we should answer

First off with early advancements . If we get to 25 + members for madden 13 which i feel we will with people coming back from honeymoon's , holidays or just work commitments. Thats 11-13 human games out of 16 games. How you'll get early advancements on a regular basis is beyond me.

If we go 5 days which seem's to be either most people common ground or just there stance. Why make it early advancements then ? It wrecks any planning one can make for say a 15 day period. That's 3 games in 2 weeks. Most people even if they struggle with getting spare time from the real world can manage that.

Even the idea of early advancement can scupper the best laid plans . If a game we starts on Monday-Friday . But its advanced on Thursday. Your then Thursday-Tuesday. That gets advanced on Sunday night. Some people will not be able to keep that level up. Whether if you've played your game early so that you can spend time with wife/girlfriend/ kids or you have other commitments at night.

Now thats for current and returning members of the league.

Think back to when you played Madden Online? Its a great deal to take in, new strategies, new game play, someone with a mic talking to you as they pick 6 your ass?

the speed of the forum was gradual for the majority. 1 game a week, I never noticed a slow down in chatter on this forum/thread we had on american football forum from a 7 day week format, in fact personally it allowed me to do more reviews and previews. Now I personally would prefer this but its not the main reason behind this post.

This post is for the growth of the Madden NFL forum. I know we'll get new people for madden 13 just like we got for madden 12 when it started up. Madden 12 started at 7 day a week and we increased it for 3 seasons.

Now it looks as if the majority can not see the feasibility of a 4th season. So why should we rush the start of Madden 13 when its prime time for recruitment into the league ?

Why not even the first 10/ 12 / 15 weeks of season 1 to be 7 days a week?

I've said it previously what do we do in May/June when season 3 ends if we stick to 5 day format ?

Short term for the forum = 5 day a week from season 1 onwards. Super quick games good fun. May/June are ?? Lurkers/ New comers are less likely to join because it appears from the outside in to be a great deal of time to commit to a computer game.

I know this personally because I've been able to recruit Daflood, Etloveslsd,Notyalc666 and Ibmax . Every single one of them loves American football, everyone of them love Madden. Every single one of them had reservations about joining the league because of the amount of time it takes up ( I may have continued to badger said people to join and they eventually did :pac: )

They were apprehensive about it. In saying that Daflood (Rang me after his first game and sounded like a kid at Xmas, Ibmax rang me straight after his first game and called me douche for only getting him into the league after this long. But the same guys who love it are still concerned about the time it takes up as am I.

Long term for the forum= 7 day a week in Season 1. 5 day format for 2 and 3 season . New people get to grips with there team and start playing gradually and hopefully become part of the community for the long term.

How many friendlies are people going to be playing with there team and playbook in madden 13 ? A Lot i'd say, because its not fantasy anymore , people will drill there team to make it as effective as possible.

I've stated this all and still there no mention of the BPL . Adrian love child. Now for madden 13 if we start it from the start it could turn out to be very good. Now personally i wouldn't join it(time constraints) but i would be more than happy to take over some of the organizational parts of it on board and it could become a staple for the forum.

This is a key moment for the community, just like when we fought to try have the forum in the american football forum.

I'm going to hold off posting on this thread for awhile, I'd suggest we all do the same, as Raoul eloquently put it. Its long way away

My two pence

Well said dave

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

7 days per week and I'm out. I'll go join a 48 hour league on operation sports and play 10 seasons instead.

Comments like this will really help anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

At 7 days per gameweek we would have 2 seasons(not enough to make drafts really interesting), plus im already running a league that has 1 game per 7 days, plus people can reschedule outside of gameweeks if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Well said Dave, except I did not actually celebrate that birthday quite yet !

Just wish you had mentioned a basement in there somewhere !

Matthew, go and join maddenpfl where so many of the Irish guys play.....that is unless you want to be cheesed in the middle of the night of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

ibmax wrote: »
    Well said dave
    was it really neccesary to quote i was scrolling for ages :D

I'll accept any infraction/ban.

It's all me, me, me. my way, my way, my way. no thought of whats best for the league/forum.

So how about you put up and shut up. Cause your threat for leaving is just a little bitch move and nobody will give a second thought to your departure. Once you don't get your madden fix you'll be back with your tail in between your legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

Excellent post dave

I really don't see what is wrong with the way things are now if we need to change things for a forth season we can discuss that at a later stage.

empacher wrote: »
    I'll accept any infraction/ban.

You have to be the most ignorant, inconsiderate, player here. It's all me, me, me. my way, my way, my way. no thought of whats best for the league/forum.

So how about you put up and shut up. Cause your threat for leaving is just a little bitch move and nobody will give a second thought to your departure. Once you don't get your madden fix you'll be back with your tail in between your legs.

Half the league has pretty much said "I'll leave if x happens", it's just I don't beat around the bush. And I just happen to think that what's best for me might also be best for the forum and league.

I think you will find you should judge me on what I do rather than what I say. Sure I'm blunt, but that's who I am. I'll say what I really believe. And I would rather if others did that too rather than beating around the bush. I get criticism here about stuff no one else gets criticism for. But I don't go reporting people. I suck it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

Nice post Dave, all your guys have made the playoffs, accept Ibmax, no pressure!!

If it ends in May that means we're on course for a fourth season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Think that was a bit uncalled for empacher, no need to attack someone personally for expressing their views.
    Lends a lot less weight to anything else you say.

Well said Dave, don't agree 100% with it but appreciate the idea behind it.
    Obviously we want the league to grow, but I wouldn't want to change what we're doing to cater for potential new members who may or may not join up unless this is what the majority of us want.
    I'll end doing whatever the majority decides anyway, and have mentioned reasons etc earlier in the thread

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Mod hat on Empacher.. none of that please

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

All this heated discussion I bet we'll keep to the what we have now.

Tbh good to see people are so passionate about it

empacher wrote: »
    It's all me, me, me. my way, my way, my way. no thought of whats best for the league/forum.

After some thought more on this. What's best for the league is best for me.We are already slower than the vast majority of leagues, I initially wanted a 4 day gameweek or 2 games per week fixed, but ibmax said that would be too tough for him and I figured it would be bad for the league is players like him were to miss games or even leave so I dropped it. It was hinted that he might not be able to play in the league if the week was shortened - which I think is a legit argument.

I think the 5 day gameweek is the perfect balance between players finding time and getting games played. Seldom do you see players unable to work out a time and seldom do you see games being simmed.

I have a huge enthusiasm for this league. It's why I bought the game. It's why I like early advances, I want to play the game. I want to talk about the game. But if I was waiting around for 6 days my enthusiasm would disappear and I fear others would lose enthusiasm too from this. It would just feel dry. Every week would be most of the league getting their games played in the first 2-3 days and for one person the last day would be most convenient while the rest of us waited around. I think a 5 day gameweek does enough to accomodate these people while keeping the league fluid. See it from my angle. This year I had a 5 week stretch with 4 CPU games and a bye week. It's annoying enough waiting 20-25 days for a PVP game (I actually came into the Bengals game rusty and was shellshocked in the first few plays, and I should've been well beaten but for a few bounces that went my way) in this league, but if this was stretched out to 35 days, that's a bridge too far.

As for some people being against early advancements altogether, I really don't see it. I just don't see the sense in waiting around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAHidWvvo26OtVnchWW0v5AnPggdrkGxwm568lxDPFKx1BM2Oc

Think this thread needs a break, let everyone digest whats been said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement