Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support.me -- SCAM Warning

• 26-06-2012 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,
    I think it is worth to say about this scam.
    From time to time i'm fixing computers. Few months ago I had a call from 2 people (older) that someone broke in to their PC/Laptop. Didn't find much and 2 ladies couldn't tell me enough till yesterday. My neighbor had this call. So it goes like this:
    Phone call mobile/landline (more on land line). Guy claims that he is from windows support team and that "they found" your system to have corrupted files/virus infection/hacker event/backdoor trojan/security system failure. Then he leads you to Administrative tools and show you event viewer , as you can see many errors. This is giving you confidence that "technician" is genuine. Of course they can "help" you with €99 system protection (antivirus/anti hacker -what ever that means-/anti xxx solution) for 3 years plus they give a warranty (?!).
    Now fun begins. Support guy is asking you to go on https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/customer/code.aspx which is on line log me in application. Then he gives you PIN code and after you type it he is inside your castle. After that he is trying to "fix" your computer without results, offering you repair for 50-99 euros (depends from situation). I don't know how this thing is finish as all my examples hand over phone. One think more . Friend told me that he downloaded something to his PC. I couldn't find anything suspicious (was late 23:00) so I ordered him to run scan (combofix & malwarebytes & spyboot). I'll check results later today. I'll also checks ports. I think that could be remote Logme In short client ( could be / could be not).
    Last thing there are tow voices Irish (Dublin accent, Indian/Pakistan), both are "legitimate" and are giving full details about them.

**If I placed this topic in wrong place place move it to proper section**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

maknak wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I think it is worth to say about this scam.
    From time to time i'm fixing computers. Few months ago I had a call from 2 people (older) that someone broke in to their PC/Laptop. Didn't find much and 2 ladies couldn't tell me enough till yesterday. My neighbor had this call. So it goes like this:
    Phone call mobile/landline (more on land line). Guy claims that he is from windows support team and that "they found" your system to have corrupted files/virus infection/hacker event/backdoor trojan/security system failure. Then he leads you to Administrative tools and show you event viewer , as you can see many errors. This is giving you confidence that "technician" is genuine. Of course they can "help" you with €99 system protection (antivirus/anti hacker -what ever that means-/anti xxx solution) for 3 years plus they give a warranty (?!).
    Now fun begins. Support guy is asking you to go on https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/customer/code.aspx which is on line log me in application. Then he gives you PIN code and after you type it he is inside your castle. After that he is trying to "fix" your computer without results, offering you repair for 50-99 euros (depends from situation). I don't know how this thing is finish as all my examples hand over phone. One think more . Friend told me that he downloaded something to his PC. I couldn't find anything suspicious (was late 23:00) so I ordered him to run scan (combofix & malwarebytes & spyboot). I'll check results later today. I'll also checks ports. I think that could be remote Logme In short client ( could be / could be not).
    Last thing there are tow voices Irish (Dublin accent, Indian/Pakistan), both are "legitimate" and are giving full details about them.

**If I placed this topic in wrong place place move it to proper section**
    his has been going on for a couple of years.

they use logme in rescue, luckily the person who rang me hung up before the money grab started.

Advertisement