Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you close your accounts with Ulster Bank?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hibernicis wrote: »
    I can only see three reasons for de-prioritising UB (1) RBS are much much more afraid of the BOE/FSA than they are of our bunch of god-help-us-toothless-wonders

You have hit the nail on the head right there

The central bank and regulator have been quite obvious by their silence . As have the Gvmt TBH

Compare that to the reaction of the FSA and the gvmt in the UK that basically tore RBS a new a***hole, of course it helps that the UK Gvmt does own RBS. He who pays the piperman ........

I am not an UB customer , and never will be , however I have not been paid ( 2 days late ) , I have had to transfer money from my savings ( loss of interest , and I went OD for a time ( more interest ) , will I EVER see this money back from UB of course not .

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

al28283 wrote: »
    what mess? you haven't really given any info here

Tell me this, do you look at the news at all? :confused::confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

Tell me this, do you look at the news at all? :confused::confused:
    It's still only speculation that Ulster Bank will introduce charges, until then there is no point changing or moving bank. I find them great to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 DJLJ

tunedout wrote: »
    It's still only speculation that Ulster Bank will introduce charges, until then there is no point changing or moving bank. I find them great to deal with.

Yup, the last week has been full of great things they have done, day after day after day...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

tunedout wrote: »

I've no interest in the charges, the question I'm asking is will people move to a different bank after the mess that has gone on the past two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

I've no interest in the charges, the question I'm asking is will people move to a different bank after the mess that has gone on the past two weeks.
    I don't get any interest or charges either. But it's better than not getting interest AND being charged as is the case with AIB. If they do introduce the charges I'll look at all options then.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

mouthinlad wrote: »
    Nope. I'm very happy with their UFirst account option. Their online banking is the best around in my opinion. This is only a blip, they have held their hands up and are being accountable

This is a MAJOR blip and no their communications have been terrible, after a week we only get to hear from Ulster Bank CEO, and no accountability whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

mouthinlad wrote: »
    Nope. I'm very happy with their UFirst account option. Their online banking is the best around in my opinion. This is only a blip, they have held their hands up and are being accountable

Still think this is a minor blip three days later and and an ever slipping eta on resolution?

I'm undecided but heading back to "I'm moving" when this is over more and more every day the fiasco continues.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I setup an account with them 2 months back in response to AIB's new charges - I mean, when even the staff agree it's a disaster waiting to happen, what faith can the ordinary punter like myself have

To be fair to UB, the account setup was very smooth and hassle free but I've been dealing with FYE requirements in the office so haven't gotten around to moving my wages, bills etc over yet. After this debacle I'm not sure I will - I would have been seriously fecked last week if I'd had no access to my money (as I'm sure a lot of people who get paid at the end of the month would be/were)

Plus, part of my initial request was to move the whole lot (current a/c, credit card and loan if possible) out of AIB.. otherwise it just becomes hassle shifting money around every month and waiting days for stuff to clear/show up in the system (like a lot off people these days I'm sure I do 99.9% of my banking online as I don't have time during the day to go find a branch and queue). But it turned out then AFTER I'd setup the current a/c that we'd have to "wait and see" on the rest - then I had a meeting with one of their advisors where he flat-out told me it was unlikely to happen .. which isn't the expectation I was given.

So now I have a new/empty UB account and my AIB setup so I don't know what I'll do now really.. BOI maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I'm going to open a student account with PTSB and depending on how things pan out, swap everything over to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

It is unforgivable.

Whilst RBS will lose some customers as a result of the fiasco, it will (more than likely) not fall into the sea like some financial institutions did when similar fiascoes happened. See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Too_Big_to_Fail

As for people saying they're switching to Bank of Ireland because of this, well, bear in mind they had something similar happen to them in the past, although it wasn't as severe as the RBS fiasco.

The only solution to avoid these problems, IMHO, is go off the grid. Some say they can't possibly live without a bank account, but have they tried doing so before?

I've lived without being attached to a Financial Institution for 11 years now. All my wages are paid in Post Office bonds, which means, I don't have to wait 3-4 days for a cheque to clear. I can cash it anytime.

And there's no shortage of Post Offices in Ireland. :)

If the bond gets stolen, it's in my name, so nobody can cash it.

Just arrange this with your employer - they'll understand. You also save your employer money, because there is no lodgement fees, etc

I also save a rake of money, because I can see my money right in front of me, and know where every cent is going. Pure liberation.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

At the beginning of the problems, I was still pretty sure that I would stay with UB. Now, with an account that still has duplicate transactions and no resolution in sight, I'm not so sure. I just don't feel confident that they can manage my account, given the random charges and balance fluctuations I've seen (which could only have been due to charges not my own being applied to my account, as I stopped using my card once it became apparent that my wages were not there).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I hadn't planned on leaving as my local branch are amazing... but the customer service "extended hours" is a joke and a sham. They are totally unhelpful and read a pro forma letter to me. My account must be part of that last 2% because things are actually getting worse on my account rather than better.

Switching now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'm staying put tbh... Why change? It's done & dusted. Move on :)

Advertisement