Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your top 3 restaurants in Laois

Options
  • 26-06-2012 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Looking to bring some friends out and looking for options.

So what are your top 3 and why !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I find it so hard to find decent places to eat in Laois so I normally end up going to Kilkenny or Kildare for meals with friends and family.

I think McEvoys in Abbeyleix is alright for a casual meal with friends, not sure if I could even recommend another 2. IMO Laois is very poorly served with good restaurants.

Have heard good things about Seasons in Portlaoise but have never been myself, perhaps someone else on here could comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Seasons has been mentioned to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

Spago's is decent....

Season's very good...

Both Indian are of high quality on main street....

Kelly's is ok but would not be my cup of tea....

Not much else to speak of in portlaoise for a really nice meal!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

If we're strictly sticking to Laois I'd go;

1. Sol Oriens (Italian, value and great service)
    2. Seasons (mid priced, excellent food)
    3. Castle Durrow (pricy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SlinkyKittin

For Indian food - The Kingfisher on the main street

For steaks - Kelly's Foundary

And if you just fancy a good feed - McLoughlins hotel :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

1.Mayur- best Indian restaurant I've ever been in.
    2.Spago's -have always had a good experience there ,and there is always a crowd which should say something.
    3.McEvoys in Abbeyleix-was there a week ago ,top quality food plus a nice comfortable place.

Would be hard pressed to find any more,tbh.

I think the Kingfisher is over rated- same for Seasons,where the tables are all on top of one another.
    It's nice to go out for a meal and not have to listen to other people's conversations.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

msthe80s wrote: »
    Would be hard pressed to find any more,tbh.

never been to sol oriens?

From my own views.

Kelly's is over priced

I like Sol Oriens but i have been told its gone down hill in recent times.

Shalimar is Portarlington ( owned by kingfisher ) is amazing

I've heard nothing but good things about Mc Evoys

But the place i'm looking at the most is in Durrow,Ashbrook Arms. The menu looks really good. Anyone been there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

sydthebeat wrote: »
    never been to sol oriens?

Not yet!

But the place I'm looking at the most is in Durrow,Ashbrook Arms. The menu looks really good. Anyone been there ?

Haven't been there but family and friends have been impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I've been to the Ashbrook Arms a few times and definitely recommend it. The food is very good, the location and layout is gorgeous and the staff are all friendly and give great service. We've had a couple of family birthdays there and its always been a success.
    Hope this helps.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

Mayur best indian in town, I would not recommend the Kingfisher though since change of management, we got takeout delivered last week and it was awful, first it took over an hour, could live with that but then the order was wrong so i rang em and had to wait nearly another hour then the food itself was rank watery sauces the poppadoms were stale! never ever again will i be returning there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

+1 on Mayur. Fantastic Indian restaurant, and like others have said, by far the best I've ever been to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

I would certainly recommend the Ashbrook Arms in Durrow for a nice meal or Sunday lunch.

What is the new-ish Italian in Portlaoise like I think it is the one where Jim's Country Kitchen was or next door?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Strom

1. Castle Durrow - very special, good value for money the food is fab and without question that is a place to impress.
    2. McEvoys in Abbeyleix - well worth a visit for drink and good food.
    3. Seasons, really good food.

Thats my top three, but as well you should consider Ashbrook and Spago's both are really good. If you don't mind travelling a bit there is the Thatch in birr and Fiacri House in roscrea both top class places.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Strom

I would certainly recommend the Ashbrook Arms in Durrow for a nice meal or Sunday lunch.

What is the new-ish Italian in Portlaoise like I think it is the one where Jim's Country Kitchen was or next door?

It's ok, good for lunch or a quick bite. But I wouldn't rush back.

Strom wrote: »
    1. Castle Durrow - very special, good value for money the food is fab and without question that is a place to impress.
    2. McEvoys in Abbeyleix - well worth a visit for drink and good food.
    3. Seasons, really good food.

Thats my top three, but as well you should consider Ashbrook and Spago's both are really good. If you don't mind travelling a bit there is the Thatch in birr and Fiacri House in roscrea both top class places.

Thats the standard i'm looking for, eh rather rather yum indeed !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭The Kop

Ashbrook House in Durrow is also nice and cheaper than the Castle.

Sorry meant to confirm that we went to Ashbrook and it was very good.

Good food, wine, service and price. Overall very good and we'll go back !

Advertisement