Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching away from UTV Broadband? Don't let them overrun on charging!

• 26-06-2012 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

If anyone is switching away from UTV Broadband, be sure to pay close attention to your current account.

I switched in February. 2 months later, they were still billing me. I brought this to their attention in April. It has taken until today (26/06/2012) to get a refund.

Timeline
    Feb. 2012 - switched to vodafone
    19/04/2012 - contacted them (UTV) via email to advise them that they were still billing me.
    20/04/2012 - response received - confirming that they would .."credit off this bill and kill off the account to avoid future billing".
    11/05/2012 - having reviewed online banking, no refund received. Follow up email sent to utv support.
    25/05/2012 - upon review NO response received from utv support. Follow up email sent.
    02/06/2012 - upon review NO response received from utv support. Follow up email sent.
    22/06/2012 - once again, no response received. Emailed yet again - but outlined that I would go to comreg or small claims court if necessary.
    22/06/2012 - received a response. They claimed that they "had problems sending email to hotmail addresses" - but that they had been trying to contact me. :rolleyes:

They also claimed that they had been trying to contact me via phone. In response, I asked why they had not left a voicemail - and they claimed that there was no voicemail setup (an untruth - I've had it setup on an ongoing basis for the last few years - without interruption).
    25/06/2012 - received voicemail - no call - just voicemail. I had the phone left on my desk at the time - and no call came through (i.e. I believe they dialled straight into my voicemail).
    25/06/2012 - received email - indicating that they wouldn't be able to process the refund without me contacting them. (This is at odds with the mail received on 20/04 - saying that my account would be credited).

Moral of the story?
    Don't accept this and follow up until they do the right thing. It's not a major sum of cash - but it is to them - if they do that with each and every client that switches away or cancels!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you pay for any service using direct debits then as soon as you cancel the service you should also cancel the direct debit at your bank.

That way you avoid any overcharging and the hassle of getting a refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

FSL wrote: »
    If you pay for any service using direct debits then as soon as you cancel the service you should also cancel the direct debit at your bank.

That way you avoid any overcharging and the hassle of getting a refund.
    That's a fair point to make. In my case, it was a recurring payment via visa debit. However, the above is sharp practice - pure and simple - and simply shouldn't be tolerated in the first instance.

Advertisement