Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning

• 26-06-2012 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was going through DVD of a leading trainer. It suggests always come to 1st gear when joining a T-junction and second gear when turning left or right.

Yesterday, I did a mock test with my ADI and he marked improper use of gears when I was coming to 1st gear (he said my car being small, 800cc, should not be coming to 1st gear unless i am stopping).

When joining the T-junction, assuming the way is clear, which of the following should I be practicing:
    1) reduce speed to a near stop and change to 1st gear
    2) proceed in the second gear at low speed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

There is a sensible, happy medium to be found. Make your own decisions. If it is an easy, open, clear T Junction use 2nd. If it is a difficult, closed, blind T junction use 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cactus10

If it's the same DVD i have (probably is), i was somewhat confused about their t-junction instructions. I believe they showed this in a housing estate and said you dont really have to stop at a junction moreso just slowdown to 1st for a right, 2nd for a left, but i would have thought you stop briefly, especially turning right in a housing estate, to check if there is traffic. If you are you still moving and you have to stop, then you are going to be IN the junction :confused:

Any thoughts on this? :)

@Cactus10: The harder it is to see, the slower you go. If you can see clearly from several metres back, you can cruise through in 2nd. If you can only see up and down the road from 1 or 2 metres before the junction then 1st is probably better. If you cannot see until you are at or in the junction then maybe 1st gear and creeping at 1 or 2 KMH is the best option.
    This is all subject to stopping for other traffic etc. and stop lines etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gvgdhar

Thanks Adidriving.
    So assuming that the speed is appropriate and the visibility is fine there is no hard rule (as mentioned in the DVD) that you need to come down to 1st when joining T-junction. I mean I am asking this question keeping the test in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gvgdhar

Cactus10, My understanding of the DVD is that when you join T (irrespective of left or right) roll into 1st and for simple left and right turns 2nd.

• Advertisement

gvgdhar wrote: »
    Thanks Adidriving.
    So assuming that the speed is appropriate and the visibility is fine there is no hard rule (as mentioned in the DVD) that you need to come down to 1st when joining T-junction. I mean I am asking this question keeping the test in mind.
    You're right. Basic rules like that work with Learners ( and are overused ). For the test you need to use your own common sense more.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

What DVD is this?

Can someone post me a link of where to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cactus10

HOS 1997 wrote: »
    What DVD is this?

Can someone post me a link of where to get it?

Sent you a PM, as im not sure if that link was allowed here

Advertisement